Not that impressed

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
I had not interest in playing Watch Dog's but my youngest was really looking forward to playing.

When I got in from work he was playing it on his PS4 and though he seem to like the game. I sat in down and watched him play it for a bit and the graphic's on the PS4 were not that impressive. He even said they were only so so.

Anyways not sure how much better they would look on my system but almost want to pick it up just to see. As both my boys got PS4's for Christmas and they aren't all that happy with them.

Graphic's are not that much better so far. Not that many games out for them...glad I kept one of the PS3's for them and games.

It doesn't look all that great on pc either. Good but not amazing and I'm playing on ultra.

There are comparisons on the web if you want to see the differences so no need to buy a copy just for that.

Unless you secretly just want to get the game.;)

No, the game isn't anything special. It doesn't seem to be bad, either - but from what I can tell, it's a game designed-by-suits all the way.

Well, the suits might not have designed it, but they've clearly had a say in almost all major development decisions - and they've stunted the creative process.

It does sound like another graphics-and-cinematics, screw gameplay affair from the stuff I've seen. I think I'll definitely pass on this one, especially considering the requirements for what doesn't actually look that good.

It does sound like another graphics-and-cinematics, screw gameplay affair from the stuff I've seen. I think I'll definitely pass on this one, especially considering the requirements for what doesn't actually look that good.

I'd say it's the kind of game that doesn't really have a unique gameplay identity. Every single thing you do is directly lifted from somewhere else, and the "hacking" amounts to holding down a button - and works more like magic than actually hacking into something.

If you care for a very run-of-the-mill GTA formula game, it's not bad - but if you're looking for something fresh in this genre, I'd say give it a pass.

But it's all down to personal preferences, obviously.

Well I'm impressed.
Not with the game - I still didn't try it.

But with the Ubisoft's uPlay continuing idiocy. Yesterday it was impossible for me to log on uPlay which means no possibility to install the game at all and at a certain moment even their forums went down.

If you care for a very run-of-the-mill GTA formula game, it's not bad - but if you're looking for something fresh in this genre, I'd say give it a pass.

But it's all down to personal preferences, obviously.

Well, I've not enjoyed a GTA game since San Andreas, so a pass sounds like the right choice for me. :p

Hmmm shouldn't you give this game a couple of days more before you judge it? I'm sure most of you haven't played half of it and even those people that will finish it first, won't have experienced the entire game.

Consider all of the features it offers, check back how many of those you have actually experienced and then pass judgement. Otherwise this would be like peeling a banana, eating the peel and complaining about its taste...

I think both the title and the section for this post is wrong...

title should at least be: Not that impressed with Watch Dogs, and it should be in Non-RPG game discussion :S

Hmmm shouldn't you give this game a couple of days more before you judge it? I'm sure most of you haven't played half of it and even those people that will finish it first, won't have experienced the entire game.

Consider all of the features it offers, check back how many of those you have actually experienced and then pass judgement. Otherwise this would be like peeling a banana, eating the peel and complaining about its taste…

After you've eaten ten thousand bananas, you can tell quite a lot about them from the peel alone. Well, if you pay attention, that is.

But it's nothing but my opinion.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, by the way.

Based on what I've played and about a dozen reviews/impression pieces I've read - it's a ~7/10 game.

Not bad at all, really.

It reminds me of Sleeping Dogs, but I liked Sleeping Dogs better.

If you're looking for more of a consensus, there's always Metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/watch-dogs

I think both the title and the section for this post is wrong…

title should at least be: Not that impressed with Watch Dogs, and it should be in Non-RPG game discussion :S

Well, some people seems to be generally unimpressed, so…

pibbur who couldn't resiste the pun, and actually can't name anyone fitting the description at the watch, although some people are closer to it than others. Pibbur tends of course (regrettably and naively?) to be generally impressed with most things running on computers.

Last edited:
I will completely agree with GG on the matter although there is another topic on this game there started by me. It is about can your PC run it, but hey, that counts as an impression, right? :)

A few things I've read on the local gaming forum.

1. First, seems that the game "leaked" days before it was released. How is that even possible don't ask me, all I know is that I couldn't download my copy all day yesterday and am hoping I'll be able to do that today. This of course has nothing to do with the game itself, it's the publisher who pulled a few positives recently but now again problems with it's utterly bad DRM resurfaced. I still hate Origin DRM more, but knowing there is a problem with it for years and not allowing buyers to preload a game is a bullshit move that should be known as Ubisoft(TM)BS.

2. Seems that many people wrote "reviews" on metacritic the very hour it was released. Many negative reviews. Excuse me. I don't think it's Candy Crush Saga or Flappy Bird. And besides, how did they get the game before anyone else?

3. Seems also that many people who just started it and are not impressed with something (random thing in fact), all of them, every single one, compares the game to GTA5. I don't think this game is supposed to be GTA5, besides GTA5 is not available on PC. So there. If you expect GTA here, no, it's not GTA - you're to blame, not Ubi!

4. There is a certain textures "problem". If you want ultra textures, prepare a gfx card with 3+ GB VRAM. Yes you can do it on cards with less VRAM, however the game will store excessive data in RAM which will cause stutters. Everything on ultra only textures on high seem to run perfectly. Ppl say that, not me, didn't try it yet.
Of course, make sure you install the new card driver released yesterday!

5. To say once more I still didn't try the game, but seems that vehicles behave as in FarCry3. Something like you're driving on ice. This is not realistic and while I actually loved that part in FC3, some people hate it, just so you know if you're planning to buy this game only to drive things around. Just don't. Buy some car simulator like Need4Speed or Mafia with formula race instead.

Consider all of the features it offers, check back how many of those you have actually experienced and then pass judgement. Otherwise this would be like peeling a banana, eating the peel and complaining about its taste…

The original post was about the graphics, at least that's how I understood it.

You don't need to play the entire game or even a couple days to comment about that.

As for people post there opinion of the game I have no problem with that. I think it's pretty clear it's their early impressions and opinions of which their entitled to.

You don't need to take it as gospel and are welcome and encouraged to form you own opinion of the game.

For me I think it's fun, I've never played GTA so I don't have a comparison from that viewpoint. Right now I'm just running around stealing cars and pretty much just causing Havoc and seeing what I can hack and how gameplay works. I will start a real play through soon.

My only complaint thus far is the weird mouse acceleration. The pointer moves very fast in menus, a little slower in game and very slow when aiming. I haven't messed with any settings yet though so maybe that could be fixed.

Driving feels extremely hard and jerky. Ive tried it with m&k and with a controller and I crash in to stuff constantly. Even when driving slow it seems like the slightest movement sends your vehicle jerking to the left or right. Also when I pull the hand brake to drift around corners the camera angle change to looking backwards at the front of my car. Making using the handbrake impossible.

Everything else thus far seems fun. The hacking is cool, being able to hack road drains to blow up or water valves seems a bit weird though. I've stopped several crimes and am hoping that process gets a bit deeper, currently it consists of seeing a crime, chasing the guy, pressing a single button to take him down and then you get money.

The most fun I've had is simply walking around and hacking people. Some of the stuff you learn is pretty neat and I can see how it could make for some really good side quest once I actually start playing the story, that's my hope anyway.

Does the game have a storyline, quests and such?

Yeah, it follows the standard GTA formula of having a main quest, sidequests with content - and a variety of "activities" that you can do between missions.

Never played GTA

I wouldn't call the game great, but I do admit I am having fun.
Trying to get away from the cops looking for me is difficult and I love it that way.
Could alse be me, being a bad driver :p

the spotted criminal side quest stays like that, untill now, just started chapter 2
I like all the side stuff you can do and a lot of the hacking text you can do.

Didn't do much of the online stuff yet.

The main quest are fun for me, trying to use as little violence as possible and using hacking.

The most fun sidequest for know is the gang-hide outs for me. Taking them out, without using a gun or that they spot me is such a thrill.

It is not an rpg, it is fun, is it great game? Don't think so, but it is alot of fun.

It's ironically appropriate that the people who claim it's not GTA are the ones who haven't played GTA :)

Obviously, it's not GTA in the strict sense of the word, but it's about as close as you can get.

Back
Top Bottom