Ubisoft - HoMM MMO Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Well, we've seen plenty of signs but the official announcement is here - and it's official, a Heroes of Might & Magic MMO:
TQ Digital confirm closed beta for epic fantasy-themed turn-based MMORPG, Heroes of Might and Magic Online

Hull, UK / Chinese-based online games developer, TQ Digital confirm closed beta for visually striking, turn-based, fantasy-themed MMORPG, Heroes of Might and Magic Online to start in early May 2010.

Licensed by Ubisoft and developed by established China-based online games developer, TQ Digital, Heroes of Might and Magic Online (HoMM Online) weaves all the classic gameplay elements from a previous iteration of the franchise, Heroes of Might and Magic III, with the stunning updated graphics of Heroes of Might and Magic V, into a 2.5D turn-based massively multiplayer version worthy of its place in the esteemed Heroes of Might and Magic dynasty. The closed beta will commence in early May 2010.

Chose from a variety of 8 unique factions with two additions – Conflux and Empire, still in development by TQ Digital - develop elaborate castles that dominate the skyline of bustling metropolis, Harmondale – epicenter of trade in the sweeping Antagarichean continent - plunder resources in exhilarating missions and fortify your armies against the inevitable wars of domination that lie ahead as you carve out your own legacy like the legions of plucky adventurers before you.

Activity within HoMM Online is played out in a mouth-watering, gorgeous 2.5D fantasy world with randomly generated combat maps. The combat maps have been designed with strategic gameplay in mind, so players will be encouraged to think studiously about unit formations and tactics, although every faction has their own spheres of influence with neutral zones up for grabs.

HoMM Online differentiates itself from the other MMORPG's in the marketplace by offering in excess of hundreds of unique campaigns, each with epic storylines and goals including 10 chapters of battlefield missions, all guaranteed to keep the gameplay refreshing. Quell a rebellion, visit ancient runs or slay a heinous dragon either solo or with friends to unlock treasure boxes spilling over with mysterious goodies.

Form guilds, gather resources, and prove your valiant leadership in the bloody-thirsty Challenging Arena. TQ Digital will be hosting a slew of PK events: Team PK and Extreme PK are only the tip of the iceberg. These PK events will provide invaluable opportunities to gain priceless honor points and increase faction reputation.

HoMM Online invites players to develop towns of different races with its unique Town Prestige System, an unprecedented feature to the MMORPG genre. Expand outside the borders of the trade capital, Harmondale with the official paperwork and corresponding reputation level and faction. Be careful though: while these castles will provide a steady source of income, they are open to attack and even buyouts from opportunistic rivals.

Experience magic based on an innovative in-game star system. Cast a new spell to increase your proficiency or perfect spells through a dynamic online training center. Once proficiency for a spell reaches the cap, then you may learn the higher star version of that spell. The more stars a spell has, the greater its power and area of effect.

Summary of HoMM Online game features:
• First Persistent World Turn-Based Strategy MMO
• 8 towns, 16 classes and 56 creatures
• Hundreds of campaigns with epic storylines
• Unique Anima and Dragon Scale Forge System
• Glorious Guild Building & Exciting Guild Wars
• Challenging Arena and PK Tournaments
• Heroes can build towns of different factions
Register for the closed beta, which is scheduled to commence early May 2010, today: https://account.91.com/common/signup.aspx and write your own legacy within the expansive horizons of Antagarichean, and the rich story-driven adventures promised by HoMM Online.
More information.

I'm interested (though I must say I love MMOs). I just hope it's not open PvP. I like MMOs but the cooperative part of playing them, not the competitive.

Zzzzzzzz... New game? oh an MMO... zzzzz...

I don't think it's a new game, I believe said MMO has been available for some time, just not outside of China :)

How would a turn based MMO work? All seems really weird, I quite like the sound of the gameplay but the MMO aspect I can't work out.

There are number of turnbased MMOs out there, but you should be online when the fight occurs.

I'll try the game when it's out, but can't promise I'll stick to it. However I won't be a beta tester. I'm sick of bugs online betas have. Especially when it comes to betas for later "free" that are in fact pay-per-play games.

How would a turn based MMO work? All seems really weird, I quite like the sound of the gameplay but the MMO aspect I can't work out.

Like the MP part of the last HOMM ?

And - maybe the game series has quite a following in China we know next to nothing about ?

Not really an issue for an MMO, but has anyone heard if Ubisoft is planning to ease up on their 'always connected' DRM? I'm loathe to buy anything they publish until they change their tune. Assassin's Creed 2 has been cracked successfully (with a fake server) so all future Ubi pirating efforts will now have a template to work from, and will doubtless be faster. If they release a new non-MMO HoMM I'd be tempted, but not while they insist on that permanent internet connection...

booboo said:
Not really an issue for an MMO, but has anyone heard if Ubisoft is planning to ease up on their 'always connected' DRM? I'm loathe to buy anything they publish until they change their tune. Assassin's Creed 2 has been cracked successfully (with a fake server) so all future Ubi pirating efforts will now have a template to work from, and will doubtless be faster. If they release a new non-MMO HoMM I'd be tempted, but not while they insist on that permanent internet connection…

Probably worth keeping an eye out for Ubi's Q4 financial results, due in late April I think. I suspect the only thing which will persuade them to drop the DRM is if their sales have taken a big enough hit.

Err, for an MMO permanent internet connection is kind of a given, no?

Yes, but he's referring to Assassin's Creed 2, Silent Hunter 5, Settlers 7 and Splinter Cell: Conviction (and Command & Conquer 4 - but that is EA not Ubisoft) which are all single player games but which require a permanent connection as their DRM "solution". Of course MMOs and multiplayer parts of games require the same thing simply to function.

I am concerned HoMM6 if/when it arrives will be saddled with the same wretched DRM. I'm hoping PC sales of the above titles have bombed and Ubi quietly remove the DRM from future releases, but this may be wishful thinking.

Heroes of Might and Magic, Chinese, Massively Multiplayer Online
I would not have put those three things together in my mind, but oh well, good luck to them, I have zip for interest in such an abomination.

I am deeply disappointed by the reaction here to this announcement, I had no idea RPGWatch was so HOMMOphobic.

/gets coat

offline solo players are a dying race.

the future is Massively Multiplayer, and its Online !

Back
Top Bottom