Browsers

Asbjoern

N'wah
Ah, those icons.. I see. Best solution for everyone involved would be if you upgraded to a current browser (Opera, Firefox or IE 7 would do). ;)

The problem is due to the fact that IE 6 doesn't understand 24bit PNG's with an alpha channel. I used regular transparent gif's for the forum icons on the index page, but unfortunately couldn't get it to work with those "user online status" icons.
I'll try to make it work later today for IE 6 users. I don't have that version anymore, but there's supposed to be a fix I can implement... Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Okay, and thanks for listening too. I'd rather not upgade to IE 7, so if you can fix it I would be grateful, but if you can't then it's ok.

Okay, you don´t want to upgrade. But why don´t you install one of the other browsers? It´s clear both Opera and FF are better, more comfortable and more secure than IE6.

Mainly because I've never really understood this browser war that has been going on. I like standardized interfaces and I'm the kind of person who will always use the software appropriate for the OS. When I upgrade to Vista I will get IE7, if I had a Mac I would have Opera and if I had Linux I would have Firefox. The same goes for media players (though I do have WMP 11 but the reasons for this is more obvious than the differences between Opera, FF, IE6 and IE7).

It is precisely because IE6 is easy, comfortable and minimalistic that I like it. There just isn't enough incentive/reason to bother changing a browser that does what it is supposed to do. What ground breaking features does FF and Opera have?

But should compatiblity issues arise to a large extent and sooner or later they will, then of course I will have to change browser. I just haven't experienced other problems with IE6 than this one, and in my view it is too soon for websites to stop supporting IE6. But that is of course their free option.

And as I wrote before, if Arhu can't fix it then it is okay. I don't want to be to any unreasonable trouble. And I wasn't demanding that you fixed the problem. I was only making you aware of a bug that I at that time didn't know was caused by IE6.

I know that FF are very common in Germany, so I understand your point of view, but neither FF or Opera have a very good image in my view. I don't know why, but their image/ethos just isn't that great (again in my view). I have the same feeling about iTunes and other non-Microsoft media players. Microsoft just tends to have this effect on me as long as i use their OS (Except their console/gaming ventures). But as I wrote above, if I had a Mac I wouldn't install a Microsoft product on it unless necessary. The same goes for Linux. I like a OS where the programs have been streamlined to match its general graphical interface. And Microsoft is the only one legitimate to do this on their OS's.

But yes, Arhu has been so kind to fix it. It works now.

EDIT: Sorry if I wrote too much.

Last edited:
Does IE6 support tabbed browsing? Or is the configuration of the security-relevant features more comfortable now then it was 3 years ago?
IE6 was okay compared to Opera6 and FF 1, but nowadays it´s simply an outdated piece of software.

You don´t need tabbed browsing ? Strange. Do you only visit only one site at a time? Tabs are more comfortable than windows if you have more than one open.

I understand what you mean, but it is a dilemma for me. There are both positive and negative aspects of IE6, but the positive are more important to me than the negative.

As I wrote, I don't want to be to any unreasonable trouble so at some point I am going to switch to IE7 but just not yet.

I hope my explanation suffices.

Sure. You can use what you want. I wouldn´t want to drive a 10 year old VW Polo if I could upgrade to a new Audi or get either a Mercedes or a BMW for free, though.

In an environment with fast innovation cycles "old" often means "outdated". In stable areas it doesn´t matter that much. Old production machines built in the 50s are still running.

My monitor is tiny, I may spend up to 10 hours/day browsing the net, yet I still don't use tabs. Just don't feel comfortable using them.
Not everybody needs all of a toy's features. If I could upgrade my Golf IV to, say, a Lamborghini Reventon, I might keep an eye on the shiny new G-meter for thrills... yet I still wouldn't use the ash tray.

The killer features in FF I couldn't live without anymore are tabbed browsing and adblock (my Internet is 95% ad-free), plus one or two other addons.

But, the current discussion is offtopic - new thread? ;)

Everytime I used IE6, it put a virus on my PC and even re-installing didn't help. It wasn't a major virus, but it slowed my rig down horribly. I now use as few MS products as I can!! FF forever!! :)

The killer features in FF I couldn't live without anymore are tabbed browsing and adblock (my Internet is 95% ad-free), plus one or two other addons.

Just a quick piece of advice for the IE7 users out there. There is a nice, (bloat-/ad-/spyware-/virus-/cost-)free plugin for IE7 called IE7Pro that brings ad and flash blocking functionality to IE7. It's a nice, very easy-to-use plugin that has never caused me any trouble. It also sports a bunch of other neat features that you might or might not find useful. Please consider it highly recommended :) .

I've got stuck wth Opera.

I'll have to check out that IE7Pro.. I use Firefox, and I really like it, but with each release it just seems to get more and more "bloated" and sluggish. IE7 responds a lot faster I find, but I just hate so much of what IE7 does. That plug-in might help with that.

Firefox is great for it's customization capacity, but it's also that same thing which makes it slower. But I do love it, being able to change the browser skins, plug-in whatever options I want and such. IE7 lacks that customization (or did when I last checked) but it does run faster.

Is there anything for IE7 that boosts it's security? I find Firefox very secure, and have never had a problem since I started using it back when.

Is there anything for IE7 that boosts it's security? I find Firefox very secure, and have never had a problem since I started using it back when.

IE7 is itself a good deal more secure than previous incarnations of IE. If you keep it updated automatically and don't do obviously irresponsible things, you're very unlikely to run into any trouble.

(Full disclosure: my main browser is Firefox, but I develop software with a thick browser front-end that has to be secure and run on all the main browsers, so I'm pretty familiar with all of them.)

That's good to know. I'll re-investigate IE7 then.

I am using FireFox exclusively. I like Safari better on the Mac in terms of performance but FF is compatible with pretty much everything. I add in several blockers, and also use 'Google Browser Sync' which is fantastic and works cross-platform. If I add a favorite at work and go home and open up FireFox on my Mac ... there it is! Oh, and my 'Min Daily' tab set has 10 items ...

Back
Top Bottom