Might&Magic X Legacy was crippled by devs on 32 bit OS

If I'm interpreting them correctly, the Steam stats show 6.05% running 32-bit XP, 1.64% running 32-bit Vista, 12.59% running 32-bit Win7, 0.58% running 32-bit Win8, and 0.30% running 32-bit Win8.1. So 21.16% of total Steam users running 32-bit Windows?

If I'm interpreting them correctly, the Steam stats show 6.05% running 32-bit XP, 1.64% running 32-bit Vista, 12.59% running 32-bit Win7, 0.58% running 32-bit Win8, and 0.30% running 32-bit Win8.1. So 21.16% of total Steam users running 32-bit Windows?

Your right I only looked for the ones that said 32 bit, win 7and 8 aren't labeled that way. That still a pretty small number.

I stand by what I posted earlier though. We have had 64 bit win OS options since 2005, it's time to move on. Especially if your an avid gamer.

I would have liked to have seen the move to 64 bit much earlier but I guess now that new consoles are released we can all move forward.

If it helps people step out of the dark ages, then I think it's a good thing it doesn't support 32-bit with all visuals on max.

That said, it doesn't take a brilliant mind to realise they're not interested in fucking early adopters over. There's probably a pretty good reason they decided to lower max quality for systems with less memory.

But I guess there are people who need to believe it's all a conspiracy to fuck them over, just because.

Let me just add another compassionate voice to the official poster's plight.
That whole situation sucks mate in all honesty.
I'm still on XP and have had to greet this unfortunate reality as well. Ahh well, perhaps if more voices are heard, something might be done?

It just doesn't sit very well with me logically that I can run a game like Witcher 2, Skyrim, Crysis etc on XP yet for some reason I have to upgrade my OS to play....Might and Magic X? Hmm. :)

It just doesn't sit very well with me logically that I can run a game like Witcher 2, Skyrim, Crysis etc on XP yet for some reason I have to upgrade my OS to play….Might and Magic X? Hmm. :)
It's likely because M&M X has a much lower budget than those games, uses the Unity engine (as a result of the lower budget), and has much less developer time to spend optimizing stuff that is more easily fixed by requiring people to update to modern OSes. Tradeoffs.

It just doesn't sit very well with me logically that I can run a game like Witcher 2, Skyrim, Crysis etc on XP yet for some reason I have to upgrade my OS to play….Might and Magic X? Hmm. :)

Do you think there might be a difference in terms of engine, budget, resources, and developers?

Unless you mean to suggest that small teams with limited means should be able to develop games on the same technical level as large teams with big budgets?

Ahh, no, I wouldn't suggest anything of the sort. I was merely posing the question and noting that it didn't sit well with me.

Obviously I can fully appreciate the budget constraints that the developers had to face when making the game. If that's the primary reasoning behind this situation, then so be it.

Ahh, no, I wouldn't suggest anything of the sort. I was merely posing the question and noting that it didn't sit well with me.

Obviously I can fully appreciate the budget constraints that the developers had to face when making the game. If that's the primary reasoning behind this situation, then so be it.

If the game was fully playable on max in "beta" - then could you please explain what you think the reason might be?

Unless they discovered an issue with less memory - why would they make this change.

I'm really curious what you think their motivation might have been. Is it some kind of covert deal with Microsoft or something?

Because, personally, I don't think they'd do anything to make themselves unpopular with their supporters. I really, really don't.

If the game was fully playable on max in "beta" - then could you please explain what you think the reason might be?

Unless they discovered an issue with less memory - why would they make this change.

I'm really curious what you think their motivation might have been. Is it some kind of covert deal with Microsoft or something?

Because, personally, I don't think they'd do anything to make themselves unpopular with their supporters. I really, really don't.
Nah, I think more likely is that a number of people reported crashes and they determined the reason was the game running out of memory in 32 bit Windows, so they tried removing things from memory and that fixed the problems. With more budget/time/resources they might have been able to fix it in better ways, but let's remember this is not a AAA title.

With more budget/time/resources they might have been able to fix it in better ways...
This is probably the reason under it. Devs have to eat, sleep and pay bills. And Ubi is not known to be overgenerous when it comes to funding.

Wait, he played the game on his 32 bit system, fully with high textures and everything during first access - and AFTER first access the thing is limited to medium (textures and everything) - albeit it being the EXACTLY SAME PC ?

Why this ?

Why is it fully able to run with high textures, and then not ?

This reminds me of the artificial 4 GB border Microsofdt had seemingly built in in order to sell more of their Server OS.

Microsoft Windows supports PAE if booted with the appropriate option, but according to Geoff Chappell, Microsoft limits 32-bit versions of Windows to 4 GB as a matter of its licensing policy.[5] Microsoft Technical Fellow Mark Russinovich says that some drivers were found to be unstable when encountering physical addresses above 4 GB.[6] The API responsible for accessing more than four gigabytes of memory is Address Windowing Extensions.

However, "client" versions of 32-bit Windows (Windows XP SP2 and later, Windows Vista, Windows 7) limit physical address space to the first 4 GB for driver compatibility [6] via the licensing limitation mechanism,[5] even though these versions do run in PAE mode if NX support is enabled.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Operating_system_support

Anyway, I'm not gonna buy it with these limits.

Finally, people are discussing the crux of the issue. This has nothing to do with a person's decision to upgrade to a 64bit OS or not. It has everything to do with the sudden about-face by the developers on 32bit support when it was running fine under such architecture in alpha and early access.

There is a an ongoing thread over at the Ubisoft forums: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/825918-OS-32-bit-and-MMX

Check out this super-duper M&M VI Legacy screenshot.
C08FC55C8C3CA859A150034E390CBCB4D39DBCB4

It's only a matter of time before the exe is patched or hacked to disable this throttling. Despite running 64bit, I personally welcome that day as this senseless stopgap "fix" is generic, lazy, and shouldn't even be necessary given the scope of this grid-based game.

Last edited:
Do you want UBi or the developers to admit that their final game (after putting humpty dumpty together) lacked testing and optimisation because they don't have funding and wanted to release it as soon as possible for cash grabs?

What's new?

As someone said above, it probably caused issues (freezes, slowdowns, crashes) and Ubi simply doesn't want to fund patching that. And why would they? Ppl buy new consoles, but when it comes to PC, they use machines older than first Playstation and expect miracles. Thus to avoid problem reports completely, devs simply introduced a limit in gfx game options depending on OS version.

Now I'm not judging anyone, their machines and OS they use. The best solution was to patch the game and make everyone happy. Square Enix would do that for example. I bet no matter how evil they are, EA would fund the patch. But in this case, it's Ubi we're talking about. The same company who's attitude is no matter singleplayer or multiplayer, you must run the malware during the gameplay or go away. Don't expect any kind of "friendship" towards players from them.

But not everything is lost. Modders are out there, sooner or later someone will find a way to trick the game into believing it's running on x64 OS. Or to allow higher gfx options.

Finally, people are discussing the crux of the issue. This has nothing to do with a person's decision to upgrade to a 64bit OS or not. It has everything to do with the sudden about-face by the developers on 32bit support when it was running fine under such architecture in alpha and early access.

There is a an ongoing thread over at the Ubisoft forums: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/825918-OS-32-bit-and-MMX

People are discussing but big portion of the comments are about "64 bit better" or "32 bit is enough". I don't want or need that, and actually I don't care. Actually all I want is an explanation from the devs about this last minute decision. Not some theories from gamers.

In an interview with one of the developers he said they frequently read the comments about M&M X in prominent RPG sites like this in order to learn what people think. But there has been no tangible answer from them yet.

I think the source of the problem is really Ubisoft and maybe they prohibited devs from making any comment about this issue. I don't know.

The same company who's attitude is no matter singleplayer or multiplayer, you must run the malware during the gameplay or go away. Don't expect any kind of "friendship" towards players from them.

Not 100% true, Uplay does have an offline mode.

Interesting. This is what happens when people expect the same level of quality from low budget productions. If it were kickstarted then I wonder if the reaction would be the same?

Feel free to play HoMM6 and Anno2070 in that offline mode.
You can with a special fix. The only problem is you lose some game content, but it's trivial to the main game. By that I mean some dlc and weapons.^^

Last edited:
Interesting. This is what happens when people expect the same level of quality from low budget productions. If it were kickstarted then I wonder if the reaction would be the same?

I know all too well that this is a low budget product and it's one of the reasons that I supported them with buying the game early at production in the first place. To show Ubisoft and other publishers like EA (if they ever look of course) that there's a demand for old school RPGs.

All I expect is the same level of graphics quality that I can enjoy two weeks ago without any problem with Early Access, that I can't see now because of a weird restriction.

By the way I have nothing against the graphics. Character models, animations, textures, landscapes, at high and above graphics level they're nice and really catch the atmosphere of the series.

Back
Top Bottom