LoTR Questions

T

Toff

I just started playing it a few days ago and am liking it. The Epic quest line is already awesome and I can tell I'm gonna love that.

Is becoming a VIP the best way to go for me at this stage? Lots of choices with the store but it looks like a VIP and then picking stuff from the store is the way to go. Is that correct?

I'm playing on Landroval as an Elf Hunter. I'm more a casual RPer but enjoy the more mature crowds and the ambiance.

I'm level 18 at the moment. Anything that is a must do for me right now or coming up soon? I don't want to miss an awesome quest line by not knowing about it.

I went ahead and subscribed after I read about it all a bit more.

It looks like I won't need to worry about the expansion packs for a while.

Level 18 you probably is in Bree-Land, no? Don't know if you will play as completionist with this char (going in all regions and doing all quests) because many areas overlap in terms of level range and have quests more than enough to up (and being VIP you don't need do buy quests packs, only expansions, and the first one starts at level 50 more or less...), because in the areas pre-Moria the flow of the Epic Quest don't follow the level of the areas all the time (ex: Evendim is a 32-42 area but the Epic pass in the area in level 50...)

I just passed through Bree-Land and am in whichever area the Epic Questline takes you right after BL. I really didn't do much in BL yet besides the Strider quests. I'm not a completionist but I do enjoy questing so plan to level mostly from them.

You can finish Lone-Lands then (both quests and book), this will up you to near lvl 32, if you want to follow the flow of the book, you will go to North Downs, Trollshaws and Misty Mountains later, but is one of the worst flow areas of the Volume 1 of the epic quests, if you want to lvl up first and get the book later, then go to Evendim after Lone-Lands

Good move to subscribe. It's nice to have access to all content at all times. Comes in handy when you leave Bree-Land and start to explore the world. Gives you some good options.

Have fun! It's an awesome game.

Oh, and whatever you do, do not miss the Trollshaws. I love that place, partly because I love Elves lore in LOTR, but also because it's just a very beautiful (and tricky) place to explore. It's got many dangers, but also many interesting sights to see and quests to be had, and once you learn the land, you will be among the few brave souls who dared to explore that land (everyone usually skips it in favor of Evendim or Angmar or whatever).

Last edited:
Trollshaws is nice, but, like Misty Mountains, needs a good revamp, too few quests and many are for groups, but the main problem in that area is the book quests who keeps you running all the place many times

Apparently I'm am still in Breeland, just the Barrow Downs part. I thought it was a new area. I'll learn. Just picked up a horse last night. No clue where I'll go next, wherever the quests lead me I suppose.

I got my first group quests but not a single person in the Fellowship looking window.

Can you equip 2 spears? They have always been two handed weapons in other games and when I made one it appears its one handed. Also to my surprise, making that spear used up my formula and I even had another formula but had sold it earlier as I didn't know they got used up. Oh well.

LOTRO has plenty of soloable content, you can ignore party content without problems if you prefer to be a soloer.

And spears are single handed but only can be used in the main hand. If your crafting recipe disappeared then was a one-shot one (all the crafted lvl 20 weapons, armors and jewels are one-shot), the majority of recipes aren't one-shot. And if you like crafting, is interesting to join a crafting guild

I didn't think Trollshaws or Misty Mountains needed a revamp. Then again, I was playing with a large kinship who had different members who would help for the group content. I just liked that those zones were a bit different and more challenging to complete than say, Evendim, which was like Easy Street in comparison.

Evendim was quite fun, though, so maybe a revamp wouldn't be terrible for those other regions. Still, I would recommend checking them out in their current state and having a few buddies on call to explore the group content with (brutal spiders and trolls in Trollshaws - Goblintown in Misty Mountains).

For soloers, in my opinion the best VIP areas pre-Moria are Evendim, West Angmar and Forochel, Eregion is nice too, but some quests make you travel for a long area to kill some hard to find creatures...

Forochel is great. Angmar is interesting and very deadly. Eregion is cool, but at that point I really wanted to enter Moria, so I had to force myself to finish the Eregion content. Moria is absolutely awesome.

That's as far as I ever got. Will return someday and at least get to Lothlorien.

The areas pre-Moria are interesting, but starting with Volume 2 the game has a better flow of quests (even Moria after the revamp is much better, well, except by Foundations of Stone...) and generally all the high level areas are nice to visit (except maybe Wildermore, which is the less inspired of the filler regions between expansions...)

My favourite pre-moria is Angmar, especialley due to the omnipresent feeling of dread.

Some group quests can be soloed, although with a lot of work. I find that the loremaster is the best class for this, due to the animal you get as a follower. I suppose this would apply to the captain as well, but I never played that one.

The labelling of group quests, small group vs large group can be confusing. There are large group quests that are easier to solo than small group quests.

My favourite classes are loremaster, hunter and warden. The areas are so huge, that I can play them in parallell, concentrating on different areas for each of my three main classes, one in Forochel, one in Angmar and one in Misty Mountains and Goblin town. Thus the game does not become as repetitive as it could if all characters had to go through the same areas.

pibbur who is a loremaster together with the hunter Thanewen and the warden Anhima.

In the Store, besides the riding skill (but you are VIP and can get free at lvl 20 with a quest), the premium wallet is a must (especially in higher levels and if you like festivals). If you normally carries too much things in the inventory, the 6th bag is useful too. And of course more space in the vault and if you like alts, in the shared storage too.

Thanks, the premium wallet does sound good for long term. Space isn't a problem yet but I'm sure it will be eventually.

Here are the things I buy:
  • Horseses and cosmeticses. For many this is a waste of money, not for me. I connect to my characters and buy things they would find preciousss.
  • Extra Milestone skilses, so I can fast travel to differnt places
  • Returning traveller. Reduces cooldown of milestone sklillses to 30 min
  • Rapid crafting boost - when I have 100 chunks of ore to processs (it doesn't make you get XP faster, but time spent processing to 0.5 secses)
  • Universal toolkit, so I don't have to switch toolses for mining, foresting and such
  • Regeneration food which scales, so I don't run out of food and don't have to switch type of foodses as I rise in level
  • Universal morale potionses. Extra healing potions that scale, and with cooldown independant from other potions. Enables me soloing group questses.
  • Mithril coinses
pibbur

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom