Legend of Grimrock - Sells 600,000 Copies - Expansion Teased

aries100

SasqWatch
The blog for this game has been updated with its first post in 2013. This first post includes the sales numbers for the first game and a screenshot from possibly could be an expansion:
And to sum up the year, we're now proud to announce that Legend of Grimrock has sold over 600.000 copies! We would've been happy with just one tenth of the sales numbers, so needless to say we're very happy and the future of our company is secured for a long time.But great success doesn't mean we haven't lost our passion for making great games. So, what's next, you might ask. We thought we could share with you a glimpse of some new exiting things we've been working on. But beware, this is only the tip of the iceberg. Enjoy!
More information.

Expansion or perhaps a new game?

Whatever it is, I'm buying! :D

It'd be interesting to see how they handle the expansion with Gog.

Very happy with news of their success. Now I'll continue to dream of a Lands of Lore style game with that engine.

It looks fantastic. Still not sure how I feel about the retro play style though.

It looks fantastic. Still not sure how I feel about the retro play style though.

The game accomplished what it set out to do, but I personally got tired of the Nintendo-like "puzzles", and the combat where moving around in a square was the best way to win. Otherwise, going toe-2-toe was usually suicide.

But, it was fun up to around level 5 or 6.

You should try the dungeon editor, it's really easy to use and fun.

It's just like drawing an old school D&D dungeon on graph paper, and then you can publish your mod on Steam Workshop for others to try.

The game accomplished what it set out to do, but I personally got tired of the Nintendo-like "puzzles", and the combat where moving around in a square was the best way to win. Otherwise, going toe-2-toe was usually suicide.

But, it was fun up to around level 5 or 6.

Exactly. At level 6 I felt like I had seem enough and could not force myself to get further. It was good but after the sixth it was just meh…

I can't believe this game sold 600,000 copies. Unreal. I had no idea that style of game was so in demand. I thought at best it was a niche product. Shows what I know about PC gaming.

LoG was one of the best dungeon crawlers I've played in a long time, and it was better than most of the AAA titles I played last year.

I'm looking forward to the expansion/sequel. I see they already have some new races and tile sets for it. I wonder how far along they are in development.

I can't believe this game sold 600,000 copies. Unreal. I had no idea that style of game was so in demand. I thought at best it was a niche product. Shows what I know about PC gaming.

Graphics Fluent, graphics and LoG have really pretty graphics. I'm not sure if a sequel/expansion would be as popular because some people might not have liked LoG that much despite paying $4 for it on Steam sales.

Awesome. Screenshots look great. I just hope that if it's an expansion that it's standalone or includes the full base game. Glad they are succeeding!

Graphics Fluent, graphics and LoG have really pretty graphics. I'm not sure if a sequel/expansion would be as popular because some people might not have liked LoG that much despite paying $4 for it on Steam sales.

That made absolutely no sense whatsoever...

Fantastic to hear - an indie game, requires more than two brain cells to play, sells at levels approaching AAA. There is hope for RPGs after all?

That said, I hated the last boss - really left a bad taste in my mouth. The thousands of stupid critters blocking escape squares, and the random pits made it a 100 reload thing till you're lucky. Disappointed me more than Barret in DE:HR…

Very welcome news indeed, thanks for posting. Definitely one of my most enjoyed games of last year. Looking forward to see what Almost Human will come up with next to help enhance the genre further into the future.

Good for them. Now, I hope they expand the gameplay beyond endless samey puzzles.

As a dungeon-puzzle game, however, it was very competently made.

The funny thing is that I don't think it would have sold a tenth of that amount if it wasn't for the way above indie-level production values.

So, that's a lesson for other indie developers. Visuals can turn even a somewhat repetitive throwback into a splash hit.

Really great to see that these guys have been so successful!

Although I agree with some of the posters above and I got bored about half way though, I still think it was one of the games of the last year.

Games like this and Dear Esther are really proving that nowadays Indies can actually surpass the visuals that are achieved in AAA games!

Back
Top Bottom