Witcher 3 - No DRM Promise

By that definition, a CD code is DRM too, as is a codewheel, and there has never been a time without DRM. Meaning, such a definition is useless ;)

Yes, a CD Code is a form of DRM.
But in its oldest form less obstructive than having to run steam for activation.

Noone said that DRM is new, even back in the good old days you haid pretty bad DRM techniques. I can't see how that makes the definition useless. If you go so far to say that every game has some form of DRM, well, ok. But I dont think the above discussed definition gets you right there.

Of course, it's not much of a definition anyways. We might have to clear that one up before getting anywhere.

The very first "Micromachines" game (I bought is several years ago in an second hand shop) has a card with I think it was numbers on it.

Printed in black on black.
And you had to give in this code within the game.
That's an early form of DRM, too.

Or the first Blues Brothers jump & run game. It doesn't work if you don't have its disquette in its disquette drive. As a result, it won't work on modern systems without such a drive. Even worse : You just cannot copy the disk. I don't know what they did to it, but all programs I tried so far aren't able to copy it. Even within an virtual PC having an DOS operating system in it ( I tried it ! ) , the disc cannot be used as an disk image, because no program I know of is able to correctly make an image of this disk.

When it comes to DRM or noDRM - I'll buy noDRM.
Why? Because in 3465375634756234 years from now, or a few less, when Steam dies, noDRM games will still be running.

In that amount of time your No DRM copy will already be lost no matter if you kept it on DVD or hard-drive, unless you kept backing it up again every 20 years or so.

JDR, for some I will care. For some I already don't care, but dunno how to remove them from the Steam library list.

Spoon, GFWL is dead, hopefully Origin and uPlay will soon die too.

I'm just surprised that Namco Bandai plays along with that. But yeah, the gog.com version it'll be.

N-B lost their lawsuit last time about CDPR's unapproved removal of DRM (and that was after trying to put steamworks onto TW2 retail, given that those copies have steam.dll bundled with them). So they really can't insist on having it this time and I suspect would far rather publish the console versions than miss out because of any dispute over the far smaller concern of PC retail.

It is a bit odd that CDPR would go with a distributor that they were in litigation with a couple of years ago though, of course, but if they're happy with it...

I'll probably go GoG, but I have a ton of games on both. I could care less about DRM as long as it doesn't bog down my system. Steam's footprint is negligible.

Back
Top Bottom