the irq interruptions conflict problem

Elel

Devout Priestess of RPGs
So I bought a new PC recently and installed Windows 7 for the first time. And then I immediately ran into a problem with a conflict of irqs. It means that my PC turns off randomly complaning about irq being less or equal and pointing to netio.sys.

According to google, many other people have this problem with Windows 7, it's related to network and the solution is to update its driver. I attempted to do that, but it's already the latest version and refuses to update. Others say that the problem can be solved by disabling the custom firewall, but I had it before I installed the firewall.

How can I figure out what exactly conflicts with network drivers? It's sort of hard to grope in the dark. My guess is that it's related to audio, because often sound becomes "distorted" right before the PC turns off, it's pretty much a sign that it's going to turn off soon. But I couldn't find an IRQ it uses to confirm it, and there's no seperate sound card in my PC to remove.

IRQ conflicts? Haven't heard about that for a decade. I thought it died with MS-DOS (-based Windows).

You can disable the onboard sound chip in the motherboard's BIOS. There should also be an option to auto-re-assign all IRQs.
If you have no experience with handling the BIOS, be careful what you're doing.

Alternatively you can go your Win7 system control -> hardware manager -> device list and manually disable everything which reads like a sound device.

If the problems are gone then you know it was the sound chip.

Yeah I was surprised to see the IRQ problems, too.

But I looked up irqs finally, it turned out that it was possible in the Device Manager, but my knowledge is lacking. It says that irq 18 is taken by the network adapter (PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet network controller) and Intel 7 series\C216 Chipset Family PCI Express root port 7 - 1E1C. Video and audio seem to have their own different irqs. The first thing is netio.sys and I googled the second thing, which is this:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-GD65.html

I don't know if that's normal or not, probably the second irq is just the port where you plug in the cable. Where's the root port 7 on the motherboard? It's confusing. I'll try to look up in the manual later and update the motherboard drivers just in case.

Try using Win7's "Event Viewer" to get more details on the crashes.

Along the lines of shooting in the dark, you might want to flash your Motherboard's Bios and update its chipset driver (given that you have onboard sound).

For better or worse, I inserted a separate network card into my PC. That's got to be the simplest solution, since now it uses a different IRQ for its networking needs. Hopefully that's going to solve the problem with whatever the onboard network adapter was conflicting with.

If that doesn't help I'll try to reassign IRQs or update BIOS. Not really wanting to mess with that for now, my job requires PC access with Internet and it wouldn't be good to mess something up on Monday.

I had the same problem a few days ago.

Since i checked the plugs and found that the PS/2 mouse plug wasn't really in its slot, the problem has gone after I corrected it.

So, you could try checking all of your device plugs, and look whether there's something not really fitting into the slots.

Back
Top Bottom