Age of Decadence - September Update

Cry me a river people. If you don't like the concept of early access then just don't participate. There's no need to throw around unsubstantiated claims though.

As zahratustra said, there are some people out there who are more than happy to take part. It doesn't really appeal to me personally, but it doesn't bother me that the choice is there.

Cry me a river people. If you don't like the concept of early access then just don't participate. There's no need to throw around unsubstantiated claims though.
There called opinions JDR we all have them.;)

Anyway no one is forcing you to read my or others opinions either. To quote a popular phrase for everything you like someone else will hate it.

I'm amazed that you could miss a point so completely.

Well… maybe not completely amazed.
Well why don't you cry me a river then.;)

Ignorance has always been bliss when you comes to you, Couch. :)

*Edit* That sounded harsher than I meant it to. I hope you realize I'm just kidding around.

Last edited:
Ignorance has always been bliss when you comes to you, Couch. :)
Well played but I'm just bored anyway with nothing else to do right now. Anyway off to the daily news, and more hilarious comment reading.:)

actually, I think you guys are almost agreeing here. :D

but where would be the fun in that?

Well stupid is as stupid does. ;)

But seriously, if people want to pay to test an unfinished product, go ahead. Just don't whine about how bad it is. ;)

Age of instant gratification.
Early access to most people = Stuff sooner.
They don't care its not full, bug free, they just care its NOW.
EA released stats internally on the "open beta" they had on SWTOR, something dismal like 3% of all players responded to feedback requests.... and they were shoved right in your face. You completed a mission and popup box showed up.

Welcome to Generation Gimmie Gimmie Now Now.

Also, as a way of support, you don't need to play the game immediately or perhaps even when you paid for it. In crowd-funding's case, sometimes or often, there is just a plan. Some of us think it's worth their money/risk than pre-ordering AAA games or similarly budgeted ones. If you want to be a solid consumer, you can just wait for reviews and even sales since Early Access/crowd-funded games tend not to have good graphic and can be played anytime in upcoming years. However, if everyone acts like that, there will be fewer choices for the market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsxiO7Ff2OE

- Inventory is okay.
- Texture ratio pixel/meter is ridiculously bad.
- Bad "art"work on stone walls.
- Way too much text, designers could have been more smart, more economic with wording & do interesting, short & effective creative writing.
- Brown colors on various shades of Brown are extremely interesting!
- Dialog system is disjointed, distracting, not a nice complete whole

Wait, what? To MUCH text? My problem is usually the other way around, to little substance because of full voice overs. Just curious, what do you think of games like PS:T?

Anyway, I played the first demo for about an hour, realised this game is right up my alley, and decided to not play again until it is complete. Like Joxer put it in some other thread (a WL2 one I believe), I can't wait to play this, but I can.

PS:T had too much text for my tastes ;)

Then again, I'm not a big fan of Avellone in the first place.

I don't know why people care about how much text there is - instead of caring about how good the writing is. That would seem to be a lot more relevant ;)

PS:T had too much text for my tastes ;)

Then again, I'm not a big fan of Avellone in the first place.

I don't know why people care about how much text there is - instead of caring about how good the writing is. That would seem to be a lot more relevant ;)

Point taken. The amount of text is of course irrelevant, it's the quality of the text that's important. What I feel have happened with triple AAA RPG's is that they've been forced to do complete voice overs (because who wants to read that much text???), and in doing so have had to cut down on alot of writing (because who wants to listen to all that talk?), making the games more shallow and, to me, uninteresting. I've always preferred text to voice overs, because you can read what, at least 5 times as fast as you speak (probably more?).

But of course you are right, loads of text in itself isn't a good thing. Interesting dialogues, good writing and C&C is.

Point taken. The amount of text is of course irrelevant, it's the quality of the text that's important. What I feel have happened with triple AAA RPG's is that they've been forced to do complete voice overs (because who wants to read that much text???), and in doing so have had to cut down on alot of writing (because who wants to listen to all that talk?), making the games more shallow and, to me, uninteresting. I've always preferred text to voice overs, because you can read what, at least 5 times as fast as you speak (probably more?).

But of course you are right, loads of text in itself isn't a good thing. Interesting dialogues, good writing and C&C is.

Yeah, I get your point.

But, to me, games shouldn't be books. They tell stories in ways that go way beyond words in my opinion.

They tell stories through the world you can explore and the locations you can discover. The visuals and the level of immersion are huge parts of telling an effective tale - establishing the atmosphere and the feel that books need words to accomplish.

I do agree that writing in games tend to be weak - but I largely prefer voice-overs because of the immersion it brings.

Having to read a lot of text can disrupt my sense of being in that world - and I'm usually busy enjoying the other aspects of the game, like the exploration and mechanics.

It depends on what you want from a game, of course.

If you take something like Skyrim, I think there are countless stories told through your adventures that don't really have anything to do with the words themselves. Also, there are literally hundreds of books for you to find with text to immerse yourself.

Believe me when I say I'm not a "modern gamer" with a short attention span. I was just never that much of a book reader. I tend to find most books overly verbose with a lot of filler content that doesn't really need to be there for the core experience to be delivered.

Well, I love reading, but I don't like reading too much on a computer screen, Some people can read like e-books and such on screen, so they won't have a problem I guess., for me it is a bit of a problem in AOD. Sometimes there is a too long chain of reading ( In what little I've seen ), something else is needed in between to rest the eyes, the quality of the writing however has been really good from what I've seen. If you don't make a combat build it is even more reading centric, but this might just be at the start....

I like mercy's points.
I'm gonna wait for finished product
a few minutes of gameplay and reading on choice and consequences convinced my preorder

this would be a hardcore rpg your playing/observing, not skyrim.

Almost put this in my sig.

AoD isn't that kind of game. The focus is on dialogues and quests, which aren't repetitive at all, not on leveling up and fighting some more.
And that's why I'll buy the game. When it's finished. I just won't buy beta or demo or whatever is currently on the menu. Sorry.

If you want my cash before the game is finished, next time please do the funding on Kickstarter. I'm not saying Steam won't remove the problematic product from the catalogue and do refunds (dunno if anyone remembers them removing EA's Darkspore due to problems with EA servers players had), but this is an unfinished product here and I don't trust that "early access" system since it's obviously made to be a competition vs KS and Indiegogo.

Back
Top Bottom