Oblivion You know... (replay) Oblivion, yes or no?

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
I'd be interested to know what the things are you dislike about Oscuro's? Besides the lvl scaling and the loot scaling, I often wonder what else is going on under the hood in Oscuro's mod.
Well, I don't know first hand, so I have to quote the FAQ (only stuff that doesn't concern level and loot scaling):

FAQ said:
"Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul also adds many new things to the game world, ranging from new creatures and NPCs, to new sets of armors and even new text books. The addition of all of these actors and objects are carefully balanced against the original design of TES IV: Oblivion, as well as attempting to fit within the Lore of the TES series as much as possible. Many of these new additions are product of the modding community of texture and model artists, programmers and other miscellaneous roles. I am very grateful for their work and for featuring it within the world of Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.

Finally, this plug-in balances many smaller and less sweeping aspects of TES IV: Oblivion's gameplay. These changes affect things as diverse as combat AI, previously lackluster skills, character birthsigns, quest difficulty design, random bug fixes and enhanced functionality. As always, the detailed readme files inside the uploaded files contain very specific and extense information detailing the extent and nature of all changes."

OOO changes the whole game. You won't get some of the info in the FAQ, because it will be revealed in quests. Which means that it adds quests. As the name implies, it's a complete overhaul. I'd like it to be more transparent. But I heard that the newest version has some kind of installer that asks you questions, which would be an improvement.

I'll probably do the same thing. I like that Oscuro's places difficulties specifically (easy near roads, very difficult in remote dungeons), but there's so much in it I don't like that I'm not keen on trying it.

That's exactly how I feel as well. I'm looking for a mod that changes the level scaling but nothing else.

*Edit* I recently looked at that Francesco's mod, but although it doesn't change as much as Obscuro's it still adds way too many things for my taste. It talks about adding 1,400 new items to the game and 120+ user made creatures. Those are exactly the type of things I don't want a mod to do.

Last edited:
Francescos comes in two version and is modular. Don't get the larger version with the extra stuff and/or don't enable the .esp/.esm files that bother you. I don't have "Francescos Optional New Items Addon" etc enabled, for example.

Francescos comes in two version and is modular. Don't get the larger version with the extra stuff and/or don't enable the .esp/.esm files that bother you. I don't have "Francescos Optional New Items Addon" etc enabled, for example.

Cool, I didn't know it was optional, thanks!

I appologize for the vague subject header. Fortunately, we have a fine moderator who has remedied the situation.

Thanks to everyone involved. :)

*bows* You're welcome.

I've goofed on Oblivion just as much as the next guy... but really, if you add one of the total conversion mods, like Oscuro's, perhaps a combat mod and a few other tweak mods here and there, it's really not a bad gaming experiance. Given, the lack of meaningful dialogue is surely missed, but modded up like that, especially with the lvl scaling issues fixed by the mods, the pace of the game and the first person combat is actually pretty good... far better than Gothic 3 combat, and only a little worse than Mount & Blade.

My major grip now is the use of only four or five actors for the numerous NPCs in the game, and those butt ugly faces... (although I think there's a mod for that, too) :) I really would have prefered reading the dialogues than listening to those bland, charactorless voices. Jez, those actors could have at least tried to vary their accents a bit from NPC to NPC... they are, after all, actors, right? Jon Luc Picard notwithstanding...

Anyone else give Oblivion a second chance?
Yes, I've tried several times, and each time found it to suck even more than the time before. The graphics don't even look all that good to me any longer, and all look WAY WAY too much alike. It feels more and more to me like Bethesda's only real involvement with the game was to set a basic storyline and buy all of the engines which they merely tacked together as they apparently lack any development staff capable of optimizing their toys, and farmed out all of the content to third parties or bought pre-packaged items. Apparently they did this as well with Morrowind given that their licensing didn't allow usage of what they bought contentwise in their other games, and had an even more poorly optimized engine than the Oblivious version. They didn't even bother to extend the rendering engine in netimmerse to offload more to a GPU if possible! Then look at what modders did to both my adding Morrowind Script Extender, Oblivion Script Extender, and Morrowing Graphics Extender(?)?!

Also, I found the clicky interface in which skills/stats were ONLY used as damage modifier or unlockers to grate on me more with every attempt at playing Oblivion, so I'm still looking for mods that change the RPG system to be something more like Morrowind's where stats/skills are actually used to determine success/failure of actions modified by fatigue and other factors. (So, I'm back to playing Morrowind with MGE, Mad Leveller's mod, and some others.)

Back
Top Bottom