Heroes of Might & Magic III - Retrospective

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The official webpage for Might & Magic has a retrospective for Heroes of Might & Magic III. I know we have fans of the game so enjoy a look back at the games development.
The Tale of Heroes of Might & Magic III

The video game industry is a relatively small and tight-knit community, and most of the opportunities for the games I’ve developed came to me through someone I had previously known. Heroes of Might and Magic III was no exception.

I first met Jon Van Caneghem, the founder of New World Computing and chief designer of most of its games, in 1994. We were both speakers on a panel about “The Art and Craft of Game Design” at the annual Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. Jon was familiar with some of the games I had worked on in the past, such as Disney’s “DuckTales” and Harlan Ellison’s “I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream”, and suggested that we should work together sometime.

That opportunity came three years later when New World Computing contacted me about becoming director for a new sequel in the Heroes of Might & Magic franchise. It was an exciting proposition but also a somewhat daunting one – Heroes of Might & Magic II, which was released the previous year, had just been named the sixth-best PC game of all time by PC Gamer magazine. What could I possibly do for an encore?

That is precisely the question I was asked by Trip Hawkins, president of The 3DO Company, which had recently purchased New World Computing. Trip made it the habit of personally interviewing every key employee joining the 3DO family (in my case, it was a phone interview, since I lived in the Los Angeles area, where New World was located, whereas The 3DO Company was based in the San Francisco area), and he wanted to know what I brought to the party.
More information.

You should put Heroes of Might & Magic III in the title since I almost went to it thinking it was a retrospective for Might & Magic III.

One of the greatest turn based strategy games of all time. Still remember when I went to the mall to pick it up. March 3, 1999. Took 2 days off work so I had a 5 day weekend. The only thing that pulled me away from HoMM3 was a little game called Everquest when I picked that up in May of 1999.

Two of my favorite games of all time. Though I did not see much of the sun in 1999 or 2000.

I still have this game installed and play it at least once a month for a quick tbs fix.

My friends and I played this on a final exams week

Ah memories of the hotseat :D

Back
Top Bottom