Torchlight II - vs Diablo III

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameSpy has a comparison of Torchlight II and Diablo III from PAX. It's not a very deep article but heres a sample:
Skills and Advancement: Torchlight II's talent trees and skill systems may be tried-and-true, but they have such deep roots for a reason. Beyond that, the game's added a combo system based around "charges" that rewards you with buffs and special skills, so long as you don't take any detours from your warpath. Diablo III, on the other hand, scrapped traditional skills and talent trees altogether, opting instead for a slot system that essentially lets you pick and choose your skill loadout whenever you please. And then we have the Rune system, which lets you further modify a skill in multiple markedly different ways. Personally, I found that it encouraged variety and gave me options, but some players prefer Torchlight II's more old-fashioned approach.
More information.

The more the merrier, but let's not forget the past. Diablo III I'll buy instantly because Diablo II was the greatest of its kind, still the pinnacle of the genre its predecessor created. Eleven years later, people are still playing it, Blizzard's kept supporting it, and communities are still evolving builds, strategies, and (admittedly) exploits. That's the finest pedigree I can imagine.

Torchlight, well. It was fun for a while. It was a gussied up version of Fate, which itself was fun for a while. But for Torchlight II to be awesome would be a major, major upgrade to the franchise. For Diablo III it would just be par for the course.

for comparison i played a great lot of both diablos though its been a very long time so not sure that i retain much love for the genre as most "clones" i've not gotten much mileage out of. torchlight i never finished, although i did finish titan quest though not its expansion (never started it infact). come to think of it even my love of obsidian didn't get me to like the dungeon siege 3 demo let alone buy it. the last hack and slash rpg i played was probably the chosen well of souls which i did finish once and enjoy. guess i'm spent on the grind, and the non-imersive isometric gaming. diablo 3 though is on my radar and when a release date is finalize i will pay more attention, though really my only loyalty with blizzard these days is with starcraft.

Neither game is out, so I don't actually know what they'll play like. Torchlight was a complete borefest and Diablo 2 was godlike upon release.

Both games seem different enough from their predecessors, that I don't really know what to believe. I'll probably just get both, since I'm a big fan of the genre. There's no way Torchlight 2 can be as redundant as the prequel.

I'm not going to even click on the link since there is no comparison. Torchlight doesn't even compare to Titan Quest. I'm far more excited for Grim Dawn than Torchlight 2.

I own Torchlight and I can't seem to get into it. The art style just doesn't work for me. The online requirement for D3 is a complete showstopper for me though.

Torchlight II won't require online bollocks and apparently I can LAN it. Also, MODS.
So, Torchlight II for me.
There are at least a couple of Diablo-likes that I liked more than Diablo II, so I'm not all that pumped for Diablo III to be honest. Its limitations are the nail in the coffin.

Yeah I was never a big torchlight fan either. It was fun for a short while, but at some point I realized that that all I was doing was running up to monsters and spamming the same ability until they were dead. There was no variety or strategy and very little in the way of challenge. Some parts were pretty though.

i think these kind of games are cool when they are a new concept. but they aren't.
how much spamming can you do without feeling you're doing nothing?
i would buy diablo 3 only to see how they are going to try to make it interesting, and because they have top notch artists-graphics and audio.

even though i'm pretty sure i'm going to be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom