Red Dead Redemption

I helps with the DVD drive spinning noise, but I still find the fans of the Xbox 360 loud enough to be noticable against the PS3 that is almost completely quiet most of the time! But then again, with sound on and everything, it hardly becomes noticable. I still find the PS3 games easier on the noise. It's like, you only really notice the noise when it stops. :)

But can't argue with free online. I haven't payed for Xbox Live Gold in years (but I still have the 48-hour trial card that came with Halo: ODST!).

No, you're completely right. I would prefer PS3 only, if it were not for the exclusive games - and the fact that I find most Xbox versions look and perform slightly better.

Other than that, I find PS3 to be superior in every way - and I've had two 360s die on me now ;/

PS3 online play is free, it streams much better (in my experience), and it has Bluray. I prefer the controller, as well.

The Xbox version runs in a higher, resolution? Really? I guess it doesn't matter to me that much, because I still have a 720p LCD TV. I would think both versions run at least at 720p.

I think it depends on the game, and the developers might be less restricted on PS3 than on the Xbox 360. I seem to recall Microsoft requiring developers to support at least 720p "true" resolution. PS3 games might use a lower one and it simply upscales. But I wouldn't know. That said, I DO notice that games look significantly worse on my PS3 in some cases - like Batman Arkham Asylum.

Oh, definitely. I want to get this game more and more and sooner rather than later (despite my recent game collection only growing larger!). What I was wondering is, does this game allow PS3 and Xbox 360 games to play together? I fear it's a separate network, so the community from the Watch would be divided.

I don't think you can play Xbox Live games with people on PSN - but I'm not sure.

But definitely want to do some co-op, that would be one hell of a lot of fun.

Definitely ;)

That's very strange. I don't understand why Rockstar wouldn't want to take advantage of the PS3's technical capabilities. Was this simply laziness on their part?

It would more likely to have a technical reason. They will still have optimized the game for both systems. It is possible that the way they implemented their engine required some upscaling magic on the PS3 because of how the PS3 handles things. I don't know. I remember Bungie doing something like that with Halo 3 and it not making much difference in the end. I'm not a graphics engine programmer. :)

Other than that, I find PS3 to be superior in every way - and I've had two 360s die on me now ;/

I'm lucky; I've only had *one* die on me. ;) But it's a hard choice for me. I have both systems and I like things from both of them. I like Xbox Live + store a whole lot better (except for the cost) and I actually like the Xbox controller's analogue sticks better (as opposed to its d-pad, which is vastly inferior to the PS3 controller's!). There are amazing exclusives on both systems now, too. I would like to have a PS3 with Xbox Live and the Xbox controller's analogue sticks and it would be the perfect console system. ;)

That said, I DO notice that games look significantly worse on my PS3 in some cases - like Batman Arkham Asylum.

Yes, and then a game like Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 or Final Fantasy XIII comes along and it's not very clear any more which system has the better capabilities. Sometimes I think either system has better graphics, but that's just because I'm playing on that particular system! Final Fantasy XIII, on the hand, clearly wins on the PS3. So yes, it depends on the game.

I don't think you can play Xbox Live games with people on PSN - but I'm not sure.

Pretty definitely not, which is sad. I have no friends on PSN! ;)

Bought it for Xbox 360. Can't wait to get home. ;)

After all the talk of better graphics on the 360, even the store clerk told me so. (Plus the PS3 version was 10 euro more, because it was the collector's edition.) I'll suffer the noise and paid online this time!

Played this for four hours straight and I love it! At times, I really felt like I was living in a western movie for a second. How many games achieve that these days? The graphics and the atmosphere are just that great and the controls keep you into the game instead of pulling you out. Very nice game!

I am already near 10 hours and when i'm at home it itches me to play some more. I think i like it more than GTA4.
I haven't found yet a really tough battle. It's the only thing that bothers me

Played for 8 hours yesterday (had the morning off) :). Yeah, I didn't think there was much challenge, neither, except for those times when I accidentally rode my horse off a cliff or tried to lasso someone with a gun. :p The friendly NPCs are pretty strong and the auto-aim is a bit too accurate, I think. You can hide behind a rock and immediate aim right at an enemies chest. It seems like it just aims for you.

But it's still great just riding around in the great wild west.

You can turn the aim to "expert," i.e., no auto-aim assistance at all.

Played for 8 hours yesterday (had the morning off) :). Yeah, I didn't think there was much challenge, neither, except for those times when I accidentally rode my horse off a cliff or tried to lasso someone with a gun. :p The friendly NPCs are pretty strong and the auto-aim is a bit too accurate, I think. You can hide behind a rock and immediate aim right at an enemies chest. It seems like it just aims for you.

But it's still great just riding around in the great wild west.

You can change the aiming mode to expert. That should take care of the auto-aim issue.

I've never been able to stand the GTA games, not because of the gamestyle but simply because I loathe anything relating to the mafia, gangs or gangsters. I find the topic boring and the characters ridiculous, so RDR finally allows me to enjoy one of the famous Rockstar games, and what a great game it is indeed. :)

*Edit*
Dang nap it. Anderson was quicker on the draw than me. :bigcry:

I never could get into a GTA game, neither, but the first time I saw GTA3 was awesome. I mean, being able to drive around in a complete city in 3D and all. But I like the Red Dead Redemption setting a 1000 times better, too!

I was thinking how much more awesomer this game would be if there was a dialogue system. You know, talk to the town folk, get the background story of the area, etc. I guess a bit more RPG'y than actiony. But actiony is fine, too. As long as it doesn't suffer from Assassin's Creed Syndrome, and it seems to avoid that lifeless feeling well.

Thanks for the heads up on the auto-aiming, I'll check it out! And yes, this is a game with challenges, not simply a simulator. There are tons of "missions" to do and tons of mini-games that actually make sense and are fun. With the auto-aiming turned off, I bet the difficulty ramps up. On the other hand, most of these modern games seem a little on the easy side, with their cover systems and all.

I love some of the side-quests in Red Dead Redemption! There's so much feeling in them. One in particular was really clever, I thought: the story of an old, upset lady that's waiting for her man, Pete, on her "big day." She's worried something might have happened to him. Well... spoilers...

Eventually you find him long dead in the graveyard. The poor woman is demented and reliving her wedding day. *sob*

I hope this keeps up! I'm gonna try multi-player this weekend, I think. Anyone in a good timezome with me? ;) I'm "Negatyfus" on Xbox Live. ;)

I just wish they'd cut the racing parts. I hate racing and I suck at it and if I wanted to race in a game, I'd just have bought a racing game. :p

P.S. Triple post!

P.P.S. No, I can't bring myself to skip those parts with the Y-button.

are there difficulty settings?

No (except aiming modes). It's laughably easy. There is no challenge at all. You cut your way through small armies of bad guys without any trouble at all. Your health auto regenerates so you never need to buy medicine to heal, ammo is plentiful and you can carry an absurd amount of it so you never (ever) have to worry about running out and you don't need to buy it.

I think it's a really nice game but the complete lack of any kind of challenge has nearly ruined it for me. That and the many realism issues, like your horse respawning when it's killed, or teleporting around the map and appearing out of nowhere when you whistle for it no matter how far away you are from where you left it.

I'd happily pay for some kind of realism or hardcore mode.

I don't mind the realism issues. They're there for convenience. You can't always easily get your hands on a new horse. I'll agree that it's a bit on the easy side, even with expert aiming, although some missions gave me a good run for its money anyway. That is to say, I wasn't able to complete them without dying a few times and starting over.

It's all good, though. It still manages to give me the feeling that I'm a badass outlaw in the wild west. And it has a nice story.

I'll agree that it's a bit on the easy side, even with expert aiming, although some missions gave me a good run for its money anyway. That is to say, I wasn't able to complete them without dying a few times and starting over.

I've died quite a few times. Or failed a challenge.

That and the many realism issues, like your horse respawning when it's killed, or teleporting around the map and appearing out of nowhere when you whistle for it no matter how far away you are from where you left it.

This is how all Rockstar games are, though. They don't strive for realism. RDR does a better job with that than any other Rockstar game, actually.

I thought it was a fun game, but I can't disagree with anything that human_male pointed out, RDR is a very "consolish" console game, which is typical for Rockstar. The toughest challenge for me was aiming with the PS3 analog stick, which I'm terrible at.

I'd love to see a PC version with adjustable difficulty and a manual save system. Unfortunately that's just wishful thinking…

Back
Top Bottom