Hero-U - Post-Funding Update #38, Evolution in Action

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Corey Cole provides us with an update on the development of their Hero-U game, which is now heading more to having a Quest for Glory style of gameplay. This results in more puzzles, more story and the removal of the cartoony character style.
Once long ago, in that bygone era we now call 2012, we set out to create a simple game. It would involve turn-based combat in a dungeon-like setting with a simple plotline overlaid upon it. We would use cartoon-like graphics on a tile-based, flat world that would allow us to concentrate upon the story and game-play rather than upon the engine or graphics.
Then we held our Kickstarter and heard from you - our fans - what you actually want to see.
It was clear that what you really wanted was something more like the Quest for Glory series and less like yet another RPG.
As we read your comments, our vision evolved. We put more story and puzzles into the design. We went away from the cartoony look into a more realistic character style like the best Sierra On-Line characters of the 1990's.
Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption evolved from an RPG/Adventure Game into a modern take on Quest for Glory with turn-based, puzzle-oriented combat. We decided to let the players out-think the monsters in the game rather than out-mouse-click them.
More information.

When I read the comments, I don't get that vibe at all. There was excitement that they were evolving from adventure games into something meatier. They got a lot of donations from rpg players, so I wonder if they're going to be sued if they don't provide a crpg. You can't change the vision you sold the game on to something different than the original premise; at least not without allowing all the rpg backers their money back or a massive lawsuit.

I always got the feeling that they were in over their head, talent wise, and are now simply reverting back to their "comfort zone". Well, my gf will be pleased, anyway.

Still, bait and switch tactics are quite illegal, so I'm curious as to how this will turn out for them. If I was a backer expecting a crpg and read the above update, my lawyer's phone would be ringing. They can remove the cartoony, but not the rpg-y :)

Quest for Glory games ARE RPG/adventure hybrids, just as this was always promised to be. So I really don't know where you pull the idea of bait and switch from. As a backer I have no problem with what I know so far.

Quest for Glory games ARE RPG/adventure hybrids, just as this was always promised to be. So I really don't know where you pull the idea of bait and switch from. As a backer I have no problem with what I know so far.

I agree. QfG was a full RPG, much more RPG than most RPGs nowadays, yet it was also an adventure game, and that's what I backed.

What they were going for with this at first was more of an rpg with some adventure but now they are going with the real adventure/rpg hybrid that their games were. There isn't any fewer rpg elements but more adventure and I am happy that they decided to switch directions. This will be a much bigger and more complicated game then what they were going for before just like the Quest for Glory games they made before. They probably would have made more money from the kickstarter if they went with this direction from the start.

Looks way better than the original kickstarter. I would have pledged if it was this from the start instead of the top down rogue-like that it resembled before.

Back
Top Bottom