Ultima V - Getting a ship

Lurking Grue

Random Encounter #23
Original Sin Donor
How in the name of Virtues am I going to get a ship in Ultima V? That is, without buying one, but steal… ehh… acquiring it from pirates. This was simple in Ultima IV as there were pirate ships sailing all over, but not so in Ultima V. I've spent two evenings (real world evenings) scouring the coastlines for a ship, but no luck. I've been north by Minoc, east near Moonglow, south around the Serpent's Hold island and west on the coasts of Skara Brae and Jhelom. No. Ships.

Sure, there are all sorts of sea monsters from sea horses to giant octopi, but no ships. Here's a common scene from my search for a ship:
2e3d7ac.png

To be sure, I've seen one pirate ship very early in my game, so I know they do exist, but that's been it. One frigging ship! Is there some place where there are supposed to be pirate ships (do note, I can't get to Buc's Den without a ship) or is it just a matter of pure, random luck (and I'm enjoying a streak of really rotten luck with the random sea encounters)? Where do I get me a ship?!

Verily, I need thy help! (I have to get to the Isle of the Avatar and I need a ship for that.)

If my memory serves, I stole mine from some generous pirates around Minoc. You must have been really unlucky, because I don't remember them being all that rare.

Wherefore is thou virtue Avatar? Purchase yon ship and stealeth not!! :)

Wherefore is thou virtue Avatar? Purchase yon ship and stealeth not!! :)
If thou looketh at mine purse, thou mayeth see that I have aught but 37 gold - and a shippeth costeth 800 or so. Therefore, "loaning" a ship is my only option, besides I'm cleaning up the seas of piracy at the same time. :biggrin:

And good things come to those who wait. On the third evening of my search… SHIP AHOY!

2wch5dl.png

Ha, I gots me a ship! Avast me hearties, we're sailing east to the Isle of the Avatar! Raise the sails! Yo ho ho! (And gimme some rum.)

ci4n9.png

Finally! Codex (not RPG Codex ;)), here I come!

20j6b6d.png

And your homework for this evening, dear readers, is to translate that sign above. Easy peasy.

If thou looketh at mine purse, thou mayeth see that I have aught but 37 gold - and a shippeth costeth 800 or so. Therefore, "loaning" a ship is my only option, besides I'm cleaning up the seas of piracy at the same time. :biggrin:

And good things come to those who wait. On the third evening of my search… SHIP AHOY!

2wch5dl.png

Ha, I gots me a ship! Avast me hearties, we're sailing east to the Isle of the Avatar! Raise the sails! Yo ho ho! (And gimme some rum.)

ci4n9.png

Finally! Codex (not RPG Codex ;)), here I come!

20j6b6d.png

And your homework for this evening, dear readers, is to translate that sign above. Easy peasy.

Know that ye may only pass if on a sacred quest, iirc.

Know that ye may only pass if on a sacred quest, iirc.
Thou art correct, sir.

Heh, I just realized that in the last screenshot I actually have over 400 gold, which is quite a lot more than the measly 37 gold in the first screenie. Did I sell "I met the Avatar" T-shirts and "I support LB" pins to people I met or what is the story behind this sudden influx of gold. Gold! All that sweet gold!! Moolaah! Erm, where was I... Yes, well, I got a few good loot drops in between the first screenshot and the last, and sold all my excess stuff (which had grow to a quite a sizable list - I'm a packrat) at Buc's Den , so all of a sudden I have about half of what would've been needed to purchase a ship. But now I that I have acquired a ship, I can spend that on booze and hookers... no, sorry, that was Iolo and Dupre speaking, I mean on donations to the poor and on some meagre rations (of dry bread and stale water) for my and my party.

Speaking of Dupre, I'm sorely tempted to bring Dupre into my party, even if fighters aren't all that hot in U5. I already have a fighter, Shamino (who used to be a ranger, but as U5 narrowed the class selection to just three, he's a fighter now, go figure), and one fighter is basically enough, but would like to have the trio of Iolo, Shamino and Dupre in my party nonetheless. Maybe I'll dump Julia and get Dupre, even if that's not the most optimized party. Tradition demands...

But now I that I have acquired a ship, I can spend that on booze and hookers… no, sorry, that was Iolo and Dupre speaking, I mean on donations to the poor and on some meagre rations (of dry bread and stale water) for my and my party.

Actually, I suspect that that was the Avatar speaking, he apparently does not mind prostitution (in fact, he even gains some karma for supporting the trade...)

Back
Top Bottom