Dungeon Lords

I literally had a barracks full of sailors laughing at this game because it was so terrible. And that was when I was honestly trying to give it a fair shot.

Definitely one of the most unpolished turds ever put into a box. If it had been labeled modern art and found only in a pretentious art gallery maybe it would be more acceptable. But it was sold in game stores as a... game. GAME IT IS NOT!

…you've really not played any games with significantly less depth than DL? I find that very hard to believe. I've played quite a few, and I'm sure you've played many, many more games than I have.

I don't believe I said I said I've never played a game with less depth. I may have but they had other redeeming features of some sort. A decent story or characters or…you know, furniture. DL doesn't (both redeeming features and furniture).

I'm not a prolific gamer, so you may be wrong about having played more games than yourself - I wouldn't know how to compare. I'm slow and have little time (I see people posting about finishing ME3 the day after release - I'd be surprised if I'm finished in 6 months).

The dungeon level designs themselves are head and shoulders above most crawlers I've played.

Yeah, they're OK, taken as a separate element.

And the multi-classing is silly? You're really going to argue logic about RPG multi-classing? Seriously? If you are, add many, many games to that list, some of which I'd hazard a guess are on your “liked” list. But I digress…)

Most games don't try to combine western, asian and arabic influences in a strange 5-way multiclassing melange - but, yes, logic isn't a strength of multiclassing. Let me re-phrase: Bradley tried to hide the lack of design coherence behind what appears to be a unique 5-way multiclass system, which sounds impressive. In practice, each "class" added one active extra skill (did I say impressive?) and some learning bonuses that might or might not work. Half the House bonuses didn't work and none of the Heraldry worked. None. Repair, scout, identify, alchemy, and steal didn't work. Class pre-requisite checks didn't work.

So, yes, you could create an Adept/Stargazer/Kenjasai/Cabalist/War Witch (<— made that up - couldn't be bothered to remember the exact details) and enjoy the half-dozen skills you would get throughout the entire game, although only three or four would work properly.

Other games offer a half-dozen skills for one weapon type, let alone across so many "classes". In fact, let's be honest - can you really call them "classes"?

You mean worst crpg, or worst game regardless of genre? Dungeon Lords was terrible for a crpg, but I've played a lot of worse games in my lifetime.. especially back in the NES days.

Never had an NES. Only ever been a "PC" gamer (including Apple 2, Sinclair ZX81, Spectrum, C64, Amiga). Apart from some classics (Ultimas, Elite etc) I remember none of the amateur one-man games I may have played. If you consider it a weakness in my comment that I haven't included games I can't even remember, then perhaps it isn't the worst I've played.

But this came out in 2005, which makes it a modern era game. I think it's fair to say professional, modern development is a different animal to some Loderunner rip-off back in 1981. That said, I mostly only play RPGs and I do my research - I don't buy many truly bad games. So, no, it's not the worst game ever made but it is categorically the most incompetent professional development I can recall.

I don't believe I said I said I've never played a game with less depth. I may have but they had other redeeming features of some sort. A decent story or characters or…you know, furniture. DL doesn't (both redeeming features and furniture).
Arguable on the redeeming features front, but I'll give you the furniture point. :)

I'm not a prolific gamer, so you may be wrong about having played more games than yourself - I wouldn't know how to compare. I'm slow and have little time (I see people posting about finishing ME3 the day after release - I'd be surprised if I'm finished in 6 months).
If you've even started ME3, you've probably played more games than I have. :)

Most games don't try to combine western, asian and arabic influences in a strange 5-way multiclassing melange
That's enough awesomeness right there to make me want to reinstall! ;-)

and some learning bonuses that might or might not work. Half the House bonuses didn't work and none of the Heraldry worked. None. Repair, scout, identify, alchemy, and steal didn't work. Class pre-requisite checks didn't work. [snip] and enjoy the half-dozen skills you would get throughout the entire game, although only three or four would work properly.
Point of clarification for those that haven't decided whether to try the game: they fixed most (all? been a while, can't remember…) of these bugs by the time the CE rolled out.

That said, I mostly only play RPGs and I do my research - I don't buy many truly bad games.
Ah. K. I can see why DL would be one of your worst ever.

So, no, it's not the worst game ever made but it is categorically the most incompetent professional development I can recall.
Won't argue that. :)

From Chamr: Point of clarification for those that haven't decided whether to try the game: they fixed most (all? been a while, can't remember…) of these bugs by the time the CE rolled out.

What MANY of us really resented more than anything, was that the game was never Patched. Instead, after buying the original turd we were expected to BUY the CE so we could get what we thought we had originally bought!! That should NEVER be forgiven or forgotten!!!!

What an amazingly important game ... there are few games that could inspire such heated debate 7 years after release!

[/I]What MANY of us really resented more than anything, was that the game was never Patched. Instead, after buying the original turd we were expected to BUY the CE so we could get what we thought we had originally bought!! That should NEVER be forgiven or forgotten!!!!

I get that. I'm just trying to separate the old bitterness many understandably feel from whether the game, in its current state and at its current price, is worth a try for someone who has never played it but is interested. Of course, some may choose to stand in solidarity with those that think buying or not buying is an ethical decision based on what went down when the game came out, and that's fine too. But it's an independent consideration from whether the game is fun or not, again in its current form and at its current price point.

For some one that has not played many crpgs such as myself and have no ideal and perfect games to compare with I found this game enjoyable, similar how ppl bash lionheart legacy of the crusader happens here, no matter what ppl say you should try it and see for yourself as you could actualy enjoy it or even both games:)

Cleaning up my basement the other day I ran across the box - Best Buy $43, release day. How many cheeseburgers is that? 9? I could have had 9 cheeseburgers.

Haha! Of all the games crying out for a nice update via an enhanced edition, they pick this crapfest.

I bet they still have your character sliding around on roller skates swinging and missing endless respawning enemies...but now in glorious HD!

Wish D.W. would do another Wizards and Warriors. I would buy that one without a second thought, but paying a third time for Dungeon Lords? Maybe, but I don't think so.

I did like DL just not as much as W&W. I loved that game and still play it to this day even though I have to jump through a ton of hoops to get it running on my computer.

Bad choice choosing to sell DL again. Especially since CD Projeckt goes out of their way to offer new content for free.

I have some land I wonder if you guys would be interested in....

Wish D.W. would do another Wizards and Warriors. I would buy that one without a second thought, but paying a third time for Dungeon Lords? Maybe, but I don't think so.

I did like DL just not as much as W&W. I loved that game and still play it to this day even though I have to jump through a ton of hoops to get it running on my computer.

Bad choice choosing to sell DL again. Especially since CD Projeckt goes out of their way to offer new content for free.

Totally agree on all counts - I just did a retrospective on DL last year and was able to play on a Win7 PC without issue. Wizards & Warriors, however, I have failed to ever complete - and now more recently fail to get running. Would love to see a HD version of that - or just a GoG treatment that gets it running on every platform.

And yes, the Witcher contrast is striking! :)

Next time I get an itch to get W&W running again I'll post a step by step instruction on how I did it. There are one or two third party programs involved and some hex editing and I believe a fan patch or two :D

It really is a process, but worth it once it's all done.

Having played RPG's for over 20 years, DL was one of the worst I ever bought and it's creator and publisher will never see another cent from me EVA!!

Hum then you really didn't played that much RPG. You believe so but that comment clearly prove you are living in an illusion.

Hum then you really didn't played that much RPG. You believe so but that comment clearly prove you are living in an illusion.

Huh? I don't think it matters how many RPGs someone has played. Even a person with limited gaming experience can easily see that Dungeon Lords is a very flawed game.

Ok I have bought the remake, which was sold digital on a single digital shop, yes I'm serious. Does it confirm the crap it is? No it does confirm the fame it has.

The fights are a lot better than in most Elder Scroll but you need learn it, many points in it are quite uncommon but at least it's not the basic stupidity of many other similar games.

The quick respawn was initially a skill test dependent of the difficulty level you choose. In the remake they made it a separate game option. So the original approach was to have kill fast enough and progress in the area. In some area it was really a challenge. And that was making fleeing quite difficult when you hadn't a safe base close enough. I haven't played yet the remake enough to comment how this point is now.

The inventory management was quite different than usual and that unpleased to the crowd of conservationist players. It was simplified on purpose to lighten the inventory management. So you could carry a limited number of duplicate items and the game was dropping automatically the cheapest and anyway most was just stuff to sell. But for the important items as ingredients it was separated and you couldn't lost any. But rejoice the remake gave up this approach and now you have all the fun to manage all the crap in you inventory yourself. I don't remember if there's a carry limit or not.

The disarm and unlock mini game plus the ability to make it easier, was certainly the best even seen similar system.

The multi level multi class system is one of the most interesting class design approach and definitely highly original.

All the missing implementation in the previous version of the game, I mean (some) effect and skills not influencing anything, some spells not working, all of that seems fixed in the remake version. For the world filling, I don't think it's much improved, for sure towns was symbolic and probably it's still the same, you still have some cool events and few NPC. It requires adapt a bit to not be blocked but it's possible and not empty. I agree it can block some players, not that it makes it the worst CRPG ever seen.

Unlike ton of CRPG you are on your own to find your way, no cursor, you have check direction panels on roads, read the hints carefully, search a little what you could do, and so on. It's not huge stuff and the filling is ok but far to be great, but it's much better than in many CRPG that can't work without a systematic exploration, or a cursor or right linear lines.

The dungeons and fights allow many options of approach and tactical approach, there's a very good use of heights when in many comparable games it's just flat gameplay in cute 3D. There's multiple good traps and ambushes, many CRPG just give up implement any descent.

There's some good riddles and tricks to find with good hints not too kind with the player. It is much more old school on this point than many other CRPG. It can be very nasty on this point, if you just run check a walkthrough as soon as you don't see how manage something, then ok don't play it at all, because an important element in the gameplay is to scratch your head.

The fights are very far to be stupid and are all about timing and chaining and dodging, and learn how fight each type of opponents and group of opponents. But it requires learning and you could play all along and keep be a stupid badass and whine or shout about the game when it doesn't work. I have seen the most stupid and idiot video progress, and it's for this game. The guy was a total idiot constantly shouting and whining about the fights of the game, not thinking one second he was a total dumbass and if it didn't work it's because he had to learn and find the good tricks. But no, perhaps because of the fame of the game, the guy sticked on his feeling he was innocent and it was all game fault.

Ok I'll stop my anti whining on that, I really need play the remake to have more comment.

Back
Top Bottom