Mickey, Meet Yoda: Disney to buy LucasFilm for a lot of $

I liked KOTOR I/II the most for the SW world. I am a youngster so for me the new movies outshine the old ones to be honest. In terms of magnitude they just seem so much more. While the old one where Luke is on a stranded planet for half the movie is quite good, it just feels claustrophobic compared to the new ones.

To be honest, I just found the Phantom Menace good and the other two mediocre, but still, the new ones are the ones which opened up the SW world to me.

(runs away from the eggs and tomatoes!!!!!!!!!)

In my book, the only interesting stuff that came out of the franchise since the very first two films was KotOR2 and that was mostly because of subverting the setting left and right.
If there´s a new trilogy in the plans, they should just give it to someone like Trier or Ki-Duk, let them fuck it up (and let the outrage flow), it´ll be pointless otherwise :).

Last edited:
Pladio said:
I just found the Phantom Menace good

lol.

Jake Lloyd ("Whoops!" Ha ha my sides have split at his antics).
Tatooine (yet again. Does the Empire/Republic only contain like 3 planets)
C3PO and R2D2 (Darth Vader built Threepio. How many droids in this galaxy? 3, like the planets?)
Jar Jar Binks (and the rest of his ridiculous race). Let Naboo burn.
Palpatine looking and sounding exactly like Sidious but its A MYSTARY WHO HE IS.
Amidala and her stupid double routine.
A plot based around taxation. Even economists like me don't want to watch films with taxation in them.
Jedi who can now do crazy kung fu moves and leaps unlike in 20 years in the future when Luke's around, at which point they move like normal humans.
Mitocholianianiunians. Hey, whats your mitacholroiniconian count?
Calling Darth Vader "Annie".
Virgin birth - there was no father. Sure there wasn't, Schmi.
The name "Phantom Menace" which sounds like a Marvel baddie.

Oh god where do I stop. It's the worst film in a rubbish trilogy of rubbish.

lol.

?

Was probly done on purpose to revisit planets. People would have said the exact opposite otherwise. Why didn't we see the old planets again and how they were before ?

C3PO and R2D2 (Darth Vader built Threepio. How many droids in this galaxy? 3, like the planets?)

Add character from previous movies is an easy way to keep continuity. Doesn't make it better or worse, does it ?

Have you not liked any sequels to any other movies in your life ? Should they scrap actors from previous movies ? Are there only 2 detectives in the world ? (Lethal Weapon series)

I was 10 when the movie came out and so I found Jar Jar very amusing. I liked the big Naboo people too.

Palpatine looking and sounding exactly like Sidious but its A MYSTARY WHO HE IS.

That's obvious to the viewer, but not to people who cannot see him in every scene and do not talk to him.

Delete all non-jedi related encounters with Sidious and you're left with maybe 2 or 3 scenes.

But yeah, his voice is a bit too close. Anyway, it's like saying that the Gothic actors in the game reduce your fun form the game because 50 people are acted by 10.

It didn't for me.

Don't remember what you're talking about.

A plot based around taxation. Even economists like me don't want to watch films with taxation in them.

Didn't care. Made for a simple premise.

Jedi who can now do crazy kung fu moves and leaps unlike in 20 years in the future when Luke's around, at which point they move like normal humans.

Attribute it to the imbalance of the force. No more jedi, too much evil. Or you can attribute it to the fact that making special effects like that in the 70's was too expensive. Or you can explain it to lack of training (no more Academy, remember).

If you forget the old movies existed then the question is, why don't they exist in the second trilogy ?
But yeah, that was a bit annoying nonetheless.

Still, for me at 10, that was really sci-fi like and fun.

?

It's a fantasy movie... You accept people who can alter other people's minds but not virgin births ? Any reasoning to this ?

So ?

Your points are all very biased and only because you probably have a nostalgic feeling about the old movies.

I'm not that big a fan, but I am sure you can find 100s of inconsistencies and idiocies in the old trilogy too.

Instead of being angry, you should enjoy. It's a fantasy world, so everything is possible.

I liked he Phantom Menace the best. I didn't like the other two because I found the romance to be annoying. I don't like it that every single movie needs it to attract the girls to the movies too. Anyway, the old trilogy wasn't bad at all and was fun too, but if you really believe there are no inaccuracies or strange plot points then you are sadly mistaken.

:end:

Well because Lucas has lost his passion for the entire business. During a recent article he said he was dissatisfied with the current film industry. He said he would never direct another Star Wars movie.

LINK-http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

He shouldn't have directed these three. He lost passion for directing while on the set of the first star wars movie. Told Mark Hamil directing is great except for the actors.

But we know why he directed the last three: he was getting older and wanted to show he's still got it.

He operated IL&M at a loss becuase that was his real baby, but competition caught up with him.

More importantly, his divorce cost him $250million and that's why he came back.

Well I guess Lucas is ready to retire and cash out for his progeny. All salute the American dream.

this.

Also, the way Star Trek had (is still having) its run.

It's weird that Disney paid 7 billion for Pixar studios but 'only' 4 billion for Lucasfilms. Lucasfilms is also behind Indiana Jones, etc. I would have never thought Pixar to be valued that high, especially in comparison to Lucasfilms.

Without Pixar there would be no Disney today and Pixar knew it. Lilo and Stitch was a largely viewed as a failure.

It was good entertainment, but it was ultimately hollow. Whedon is good at providing entertainment - but he's not someone I would want for a serious treatment of Star Wars.

Case in point: The last episode of Firefly with that assassin character. Really interesting and engaging. Great dialogue and funny jokes. But it all ends up being nothing at all. Nothing is actually said - and we simply have things mused upon by a good actor.

But that's me, and a lot of people probably just want more popcorn ala Avengers.

The more I think about it, the more I think Ben Affleck would be a great choice. He's a big Star Wars fan - and he's something of a geek. He's also proven himself to be a fantastic director.

I think it would be really interesting to see someone like him take it on.

But I fear they will go with the likes of J.J. Abrams or Whedon. They're probably safer in business terms, because they appeal to the masses in a very big way.

It wasn't hollow - it was already cancelled and was clearly the inpiration for the movie. Whedon couldn't make any episodes - Fox wanted another Buffy, not another expensive Sci-Fi. Also, TV Execs are an extremely backstabbing lot, but especially at Fox which is why only shows like Simpsons, Ally McBeal, American Idol, and Married with Children ever lasted (too long). Its why shows like Futurama and In Living Color got axed even with a strong fanbase.

My favorite Disney princess is Princess Leia!

FTW :iloveyou:

lol.

Revenge of the Sith was a good movie. But as my friend put it, its too bad it took him three movies to do it.

Also, Phantom Menace had a pretty intricate plot and good characterization even if the dialogue (and lack) and acting made you cringe. There was a lot going on if you don't care about character interaction and actors not doing a very good job of intereacting with CGI. But even the plot was part of the problem:

Star Wars and Indiana Jones were styled after the movie serials of the 1940's. Lucas was so caught up in trying to still be relevant and even groundbreaking he completely forgot why Star Wars was so much more enjoyable than 2001: A Space Odyssey.

There's a lot of material from the books that Disney could work with: they should probably get Kevin Anderson to write it.

If they're not careful though they could have another John Carter or SW:ToR on their hand. Either way it will be colossal.

Well, we do have that to thank for launching the respective careers of Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley.

I actually knew Natalie Portman before The Phantom Menace was made (from her first movie Léon: the Professional.)

The more I think about it, the more I think Ben Affleck would be a great choice. He's a big Star Wars fan - and he's something of a geek. He's also proven himself to be a fantastic director.

Ben Affleck have surpriced me with his development.
When Affleck and Damon made it with Will Hunting I thought of Affleck as Damons lesser talented buddy that were "allowed to tag along" for old friendships sake. My initial aversion to him have vanished, someone that good at poker cant be totally stupid, and Gone Baby Gone was just it.

So why not?

Were the franchise is now it can hardly get worse. (well we all know it can, but not far...)

George Lucas, stay at your ranch, please.

And kill Jar Jar Binks
just do away with him, I won´t tell, I 'll even help to dispose of the carcass if needed.

C

It wasn't hollow - it was already cancelled and was clearly the inpiration for the movie. Whedon couldn't make any episodes - Fox wanted another Buffy, not another expensive Sci-Fi. Also, TV Execs are an extremely backstabbing lot, but especially at Fox which is why only shows like Simpsons, Ally McBeal, American Idol, and Married with Children ever lasted (too long). Its why shows like Futurama and In Living Color got axed even with a strong fanbase.

Let's rephrase. I thought it was ultimately hollow if very entertaining - and you didn't.

Pladio - yes it is probably my age (41) - I am nostalgic for the old movies and saw the new trilogy in my 20s, certainly old enough for me to be a lot less forgiving. So I do pick up on perceived flaws which you let pass. Plus I'm a grumpy middle aged bastard generally :)

The Jake Lloyd comment was because they'd made a menacing villain in the original trilogy into an absurd child doing a slapstick routine. He takes off in a ship by accident, lands on the droid ship by accident, destroys it by accident ("whoops"). They'd established he was a good pilot in the pod race - doing this whole routine with the Naboo fighter in the droid ship made him look like an idiot (albeit a lucky one), out of his depth, not skilful at all.

Jake Lloyd in general was miscast I think - he was too nice and cutesy to be Anakin, his personality changed completely in the second film, plus the age difference with Amidala was weird. He should have been in his early teens in the Phantom Menace, which would have made it more credible that he'd have started developing piloting skills and would probably have had access to a bigger emotional spectrum than Lloyd had, who was pretty much one-note cheery moppet kid throughout.

Pladio - yes it is probably my age (41) - I am nostalgic for the old movies and saw the new trilogy in my 20s, certainly old enough for me to be a lot less forgiving. So I do pick up on perceived flaws which you let pass. Plus I'm a grumpy middle aged bastard generally :)

The Jake Lloyd comment was because they'd made a menacing villain in the original trilogy into an absurd child doing a slapstick routine. He takes off in a ship by accident, lands on the droid ship by accident, destroys it by accident ("whoops"). They'd established he was a good pilot in the pod race - doing this whole routine with the Naboo fighter in the droid ship made him look like an idiot (albeit a lucky one), out of his depth, not skilful at all.

Jake Lloyd in general was miscast I think - he was too nice and cutesy to be Anakin, his personality changed completely in the second film, plus the age difference with Amidala was weird. He should have been in his early teens in the Phantom Menace, which would have made it more credible that he'd have started developing piloting skills and would probably have had access to a bigger emotional spectrum than Lloyd had, who was pretty much one-note cheery moppet kid throughout.

Agree with all of the above :)

the "unrealistic" things that happen in that first film can be chalked up to one thing:metachlorides (mitochondria).

Today I am going to vacuum the floor with my eyes closed.

Whomever directs them, I hope they go back to the 1940's and get inspiration from there.

It was good entertainment, but it was ultimately hollow. Whedon is good at providing entertainment - but he's not someone I would want for a serious treatment of Star Wars.

Whedon would be light years better than anyone Disney will probably hire, but I think you're being a bit naive if you believe Star Wars will ever get a "serious" treatment again.

Whedon would be light years better than anyone Disney will probably hire, but I think you're being a bit naive if you believe Star Wars will ever get a "serious" treatment again.

I never said I expected it - I just want it. Also, I'm not sure I'd say it was ever treated seriously. Well, perhaps something like Episode 5 was an example - and I'd want that taken even further. I have no interest in going back to the past - but to have a serious treatment ala KotOR 2 would be really interesting.

But no, I expect them to hire someone like Whedon or Abrams - as I said above. Since they own Marvel and have already used Whedon for Avengers, I think that's not unlikely - so I'm not really sure what you're suggesting by them hiring someone worse.

Then again, after Nolan and his success with the Batman films - it's not entirely unlikely they'll go the serious route.

Ah, sweet lord! The horror…Mickey and Minnie as Jedi ;-) For me the rot started with Ewoks… I cannot express my …. %^#!@@!!!!!&$%!! dislike of those furry little bastards. I cheered when the AT-ST's (yes! I am…was?…a SW geek.. a long, long time ago..) blasted them *pew*pew* Little furry oompah loompahs.

Like Coaster (I'm the same age ;) the prequels did not impress, but I thought E3 was the best of the lot (esp with Yoda cavorting about like a youngling, ofc he was only 860 (?) at that point, so fit as a fiddle…didn't really need a walking stick, y'know, with the Force wafting through him. Which it obviously stopped doing later…) I think I ground several mm's off my teeth while watching E1 with 'little annie' - I kept thinking 'Daddy Warbucks is coming!. I do think there a is a lot of lore they could explore, but I fear that Disney will apply it's FeelGood Formula (TM) and F everything up (further).

Speaking about the awfulness of the new SW trilogy, there is a funny and (in)famous video review where the reviewer goes to great lengths to make a complete mockery out of those films, rightfully so if I may add. Below, I put the Youtube links for you to watch in case you hadn't seen them already.

Enjoy! ……I certainly did so myself :D.

Phantom Menace Part 1
Phantom menace Part 2
Phantom menace Part 3
Phantom Menace Part 4
Phantom Menace Part 5
Phantom Menace Part 6
Phantom Menace Part 7

Attack of the Clones Part1
Attack of the Clones Part 2
Attack of the Clones Part 3
Attack of the Clones Part 4
Attack of the Clones Part 5
Attack of the Clones Part 6
Attack of the Clones Part 7
Attack of the Clones Part 8
Attack of the Clones part 9

Revenge of the Sith Part 1
Revenge of the Sith Part 2
Revenge of the Sith Part 3

I never said I expected it - I just want it. Also, I'm not sure I'd say it was ever treated seriously. Well, perhaps something like Episode 5 was an example - and I'd want that taken even further. I have no interest in going back to the past - but to have a serious treatment ala KotOR 2 would be really interesting.

I was talking only about the future films, not games etc., which I think is the only serious stuff we have a good chance of seing again. Ewoks aside, I think SW was definitely treated a lot more seriously prior to the prequels.

I was talking only about the future films, not games etc., which I think is the only serious stuff we have a good chance of seing again. Ewoks aside, I think SW was definitely treated a lot more seriously prior to the prequels.

Yes, I'm talking about films as well. I mentioned KotOR 2 - because that's the kind of treatment I'd love to see for the films.

I agree that the prequels were jokes compared to the original trilogy - but I wouldn't say the OT was particularly serious either. It was always pure entertainment - and I just happen to think it could be more than that.

Back
Top Bottom