Anyone playing GW2?

Well, it was pretty enjoyable for the first 10 hours until their crappy security allowed someone to change my e-mail and steal my account. Now, I can't play the game or even login to their forum. I have to wait for their ticket process which according to their forum is taking anywhere from 3 days to over a week. I'm not not the only one either.Plenty of piss-off people on that forum. Usually whoever is stealling the account does something to get the account banned as well. Someone I know got a e-mail warning about someone trying to log in from an Asian location but I just got a "We noticed you recently changed your password. At least we hope it was you."

The thing that really burns me is I can't even make a new foum account over at their forums without another serial key. I am not really liking NCsoft at all anymore.

Last edited:
Redman,

i would certainly welcome an authenticator. I had someone request a password change but that is it for now....so far.

I'm really enjoying the game. i have an Asuran engineer as a main although I'm torn on who to alternate with....my ele or necro :)

Redman,

i would certainly welcome an authenticator. I had someone request a password change but that is it for now….so far.

I'm really enjoying the game. i have an Asuran engineer as a main although I'm torn on who to alternate with….my ele or necro :)

Not sure but I think one of the big games (was it Diablo?) reported that hackers stole like a million accounts by hacking the authenticator lol so nowhere is safe.

Indeed there are reports of battlenets accounts hacked despite the use of authenticators. But then the whole of battlenet was hacked last year (email stolens at least).

Although, for GW2, hackers need to have access to your emails to hack the account. It's the only way to get a password reset... In other word, everybody that is getting hacked had their email account hacked a while ago. They just didn't know it and probably still haven't understood that either.

You're probably right. I have been getting battlenet emails too but those don't look legit.

They got my Guild Wars 1 account as well. I had linked the two when I registered GW2.

Not sure but I think one of the big games (was it Diablo?) reported that hackers stole like a million accounts by hacking the authenticator lol so nowhere is safe.
They said in their updates that they were having MAJOR problems with hacked accounts PLUS they were having issues with email verification. The two together made such a horrible problem that they had to turn off password changing!

Well.. I lasted until level 33.... Can't go on - it's just too pointless. Ironically, by removing the grind from the hollow themepark design - I think they've made it too obvious that there's no reason to invest a lot of time in the genre....

It remains a fun *casual* game for me. Little bit here, little bit there, some crafting here, there, etc.

That is my feeling - its fun to just log on for a bit and fool around. Explore, fight, maybe chat with a few folks.

I think many folks get a lot more out of MMO's because they PvP or really get into grouping. So the entire game is just an elaborate shell for socializing ... just like many social events in real life.

Being more of a solo player in MMO's I need to have a guild with some chatty folks so I can chat while doing things. Open events are also useful to do things with people even if you don't get to know any of them - way to hectic and fast paced. Not like EQ1 where you had to sit for 10 minutes between each fight to heal/med and forced you to chat :)

GW2 has the personal story, exploring and events to entertain me but not for extended periods.

yes, GW2 is a mixed thing. It's very easy to 'play with other people' because of the events, but you don't really group with them like you do in Everquest or most other MMOs, as it's basically a bunch of people 'soloing together'. I haven't get to know anyone in the 2 weeks or so since the game went live, by this time I would have had a list of like 8 friends in more "group-oriented" games like Everquest.

Local Gamestop had a sign in the window : "SOLD OUT !!!"
That GW2 was meant was visible via the promo packages.

mmm been reading a lot of things about GW2 and they sound fun to me,
a pitty there is no trial period or so. Especially too see if my machine can take this.

Do you guys know if it will be playable on a:
1.4ghz processor
windows 7
4 gb Ram
512mb graphic card

I really want to play it, but it would be a damn shame to buy it and not be able to play

Well, min reqs are listed as:
Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3 OR AMD Athlon 64 X2, or better
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000, or better (256 MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
25 GB available HDD space

Additionally, you can try running a systems check for the game.

There's also a wide array of options to play around with and lower in-game.

I got my account back. It only took six days!
What a mess they must be going through. One guy wrote on the forums he got his account back,made a 32 character password with new email and it got swiped again!

I feel lucky,no gold lost or anything.

One guy wrote on the forums he got his account back,made a 32 character password with new email and it got swiped again!

I guess he had a keylogger trojan without him noticing it ?

Alric you are good. A bunch of us said the same thing. I did deep scans on all my home computers and all the ones at my business and found they were all infected with Java exploits and trojans that didn't show up previously. A few casual searches on Google showed that Java still has security holes that hackers are taking advantage of, in much bigger business's then mine.I was told to turn off java in my browser after my machines were clean.
I got extremely paranoid after this and had all my credit cards that were remembered on different sites like Steam and Amazon taken off and even had my main debit card replaced.
This from today but it doesn't say any more then what we have discussed here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19543035

We have our own small security thread here . http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11806

Every now and then i look into this site for security-related news : http://www.heise.de/security/

This is the English-language edition of the same site : http://www.h-online.com/security/

And if you REALLY want to learn how exploits get into computers, then please read this series - although it might make you become a bit more paranoid ;) : http://www.h-online.com/security/features/CSI-Internet-HQ-Series-1-1050609.html
I learned a *lot* by reading this series.
And I would blindly recommend it to others - even if most of that stuff isn't understood, you'll get a glimpse of how trojan work, anyway.

The reason why I came to the thought of a keylogger is reltively simple : A password is reset. No-one should be able to even KNOW it is reset.
Only viable possibility : A "man-in-the-middle" kind of attack - of which the keylogger is the most simple yet most effective form.

Here, criminals have even begun physically install tiniest cameras ( ! ) on cash dospensers - and yes, they even replace the keyboards ? - On top they place fake keyboards which look *exactly* like the original ones - and under them are the "real" keyboards from which key pressings get directly to the criminals' devices …
They replace this usually deep in the night.
More brutal criminals take the whole cash dispensers, though.

And this here seems to be the newest thing regarding Java : http://www.h-online.com/security/features/The-new-Java-0day-examined-1677789.html

So far the ONLY REALLY safe way is to simply - stay offline.
And I'm sure that this will become a common policy among professionals within the next 10 years.
And to reduce the connctions to the absolute bare minimum, like point-to-point connections.

And if you REALLY want to learn how exploits get into computers, then please read this series - although it might make you become a bit more paranoid : http://www.h-online.com/security/fea…1-1050609.html
I learned a *lot* by reading this series.
And I would blindly recommend it to others - even if most of that stuff isn't understood, you'll get a glimpse of how trojan work, anyway.

Great stuff-I apreciate the links.

I have been reading the security section you guys have here(lots of time available to me hehe as I waited) and it echoed what I found just browsing more than once. I think you are right and people will learn they have to really watch what they do online and maybe less of it. I know I will.

Back
Top Bottom