Quest For Glory 2 - Available for Download

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
While this may not be a true RPG, many of our readers know and love the original Sierra classics which formed the Quest For Glory series. These games which were a mix of the RPG and Adventure genres were very successful in their day and have long been unavailable, or in some cases virtually unplayable on modern machines. Now, a remake of what many consider to be the best of the series, Quest For Glory 2- Trial By Fire has been released for FREE Download. You can get the game and a lot more detail Here.
More information.

There was a group (out of Australio IIRC) called Tierra that made several remakes of classic Sierra games. I remember that they would not do anything that had been done in VGA, so the original Hero's Quest (QfG later) wasn't redone because Sierra had already done it.

EDIT: Ok, looked it up AGInteractive used to be called Tierra! I played the King's Quest remake, it was really good. Sad to see they canceled Space Quest II though. :(

It looks just like the orginal game? I thought it said remake with better graphics? well I already played and enjoyed the original, so no need to play this.

When I was younger I made a promise to myself to finish every LucasArts and every Sierra adventuregame ever made. When I got older I have considered if I am crazy, but still I continued to play the game one by one...

And now I am down to five games remaining, which actually means Quest for Glory 1-5. I did finish Tierra's version of Kings Quest II and I decided to wait for their version of QfG2 before starting on the QfG series.

Well, I guess I have no excuses avoiding the series anymore, but I still have to schedule my playthrough next summer.

My finished games in the spoiler below.

Sierra
Adventures of Willy Beamish
Codename Iceman
Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail
Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood
EcoQuest I
EcoQuest II
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
Gabriel Knight I
Gabriel Knight II
Gabriel Knight III
Gold Rush
Heart of China
Kings Quest I
Kings Quest II
Kings Quest III
Kings Quest IV
Kings Quest V
Kings Quest VI
Kings Quest VII
Kings Quest VIII
Laura Bow I: Colonel's Bequest
Laura Bow II: Dagger of Amon-Ra
Leisure Suit Larry I
Leisure Suit Larry II
Leisure Suit Larry III
Leisure Suit Larry IV
Leisure Suit Larry V
Leisure Suit Larry VI
Leisure Suit Larry VII
Manhunter I
Manhunter II
Mixed Up Fairy Tales
Mixed Up Mother Goose Deluxe
Mixed Up Mother Goose (Enhanced CD-ROM Version)
Phantasmagoria Stagefright
Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh
Police Quest I
Police Quest II
Police Quest III
Police Quest IV
Rise of the Dragon
Space Quest I
Space Quest II
Space Quest III
Space Quest IV
Space Quest V
Space Quest VI

LucasArts
Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango
Indiana Jones 3
Indiana Jones 4
Loom
Maniac Mansion
Monkey Island 1
Monkey Island 2
Monkey Island 3
Monkey Island 4
Sam & Max
The Dig
Zak McKracken

My finished games in the spoiler below.

Impressive list. I've at least played most of those, but haven't finished close to all of them. Right now, I'm playing a bit of Sam & Max: Hit The Road on my mobile phone with ScummVM and it's still as fun as eve, mostly because of the as usual for Sam & Max excellent writing and voice-acting. :)

Also, I love Tierra. They do good work.

I haven't had a chance to play yet, work and kids take precedence. But, from what I've been reading, they did a good job of recreating everything. The combat engine is apparently very good, one of the best according to some.

Is it the same game? It's a remake, so yes. But the graphics are improved, as is the interface. You use the mouse for everything, like the latter Sierra adventure games. It also has the parser interface still, if you happen to want to use it.

As for QFG1 being the best of the series? I have to disagree. QFG2 and QFG4 (minus 2 large bugs that can be fixed with DosBox) are my top 2 of the series. I guess I would rank them:

1 - QFG4
2 - QFG2
3 - QFG1
4 - QFG3
5 - QFG5

and 2 and 4 would probably flip flop sometimes as well.

Overall, QFG2 was one of the high points of the series, so a chance for some to play it the game again, and enjoy it anew, and for others to experience it for the first time.

I've been waiting for this game for this to be done for a long time. Thanks for the heads up that it's finished.

@Jemym you actually finished the police quests? When I was a kid I only managed to get to the trial portion of the game in police quest 1, I could never figure out how to get any farther. The couple of things that was really unique to Police quest back then was how you could turn on your siren and blow through the red lights and the drug bust portion. I kept trying to arrest the guys in the park too early, until I figured out you had to wait until the exchange.

If I was you I would play the original Quest for Glory 1 first. Not the VGA one. They changed it a lot when they remade it to VGA, imo.

Am I the only one that considered QfGV the best of them? Replayed it quite a few times, still enjoy it whenever I play it. :)

It looks just like the orginal game? I thought it said remake with better graphics? well I already played and enjoyed the original, so no need to play this.

I think it looks better than the original game. Those graphics aren't mind blowing, but they are VGA and the original was only CGA, IIRC.

As for the best, I liked the first one best. I thought the second one was pretty good as well. I never made it through the third one, bought but never played the fourth one.

@Jemym you actually finished the police quests? When I was a kid I only managed to get to the trial portion of the game in police quest 1, I could never figure out how to get any farther. The couple of things that was really unique to Police quest back then was how you could turn on your siren and blow through the red lights and the drug bust portion. I kept trying to arrest the guys in the park too early, until I figured out you had to wait until the exchange.

Yes, but my problems was not the puzzles because I actually used a walkthrough. My problem was, however, that I was 10-11 years old with Swedish as my native language. Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry were the first adventuregames I ever played (yeah, Larry 1 before reaching puberty...)

If I was you I would play the original Quest for Glory 1 first. Not the VGA one. They changed it a lot when they remade it to VGA, imo.

I have to see. I was hoping to be able to avoid the SCI engine all together. :)

What did they change?

What did they change?

Sorry ninja didn't see your question.

The biggest change was it was now point and click. Which has its advantages and disadvantages. For me I preferred ed the parser. I was still quite young, but the parser system was intuitive enough for me to figure out most of the puzzles. The combat was different as well. It's much better in the EGA version.

From Wikipedia:

Remake
Like some other games by Sierra, a VGA version using Sierra's "point and click" SCI1.1 interpreter was released in 1992. As a result of some limitations of this version, many die-hard fans of Quest for Glory resent the VGA rendition[citation needed] due to the lack of movement that was prevalent in the original, which used the text-parser–based SCI0.

While the original game was based on dialogues and asking questions in order to obtain some background information, in the new interface the dialogues had a tree structure: a menu of question topics. By asking certain questions (e.g. "Ask about Potion"), the player will get new questions to ask (e.g. "Healing potion, Stamina potion, Dispel potion"). Some easter eggs were also updated, for example in Erasmus's house, the original has a reference to King's Quest IV, while the remake has a reference to The Dagger of Amon Ra. The treasure room in the troll cave leading to the Brigand's hideout was missing in the remake.

The backgrounds and characters were hand drawn and scanned, while the monster fights and character portraits were made using clay models and stop motion animation.

While the remake kept the scenes and logic of the original, many players[who?] were disappointed by its ending cutscene, the aerial view of Spielburg. Interestingly, the pic and music were included in the data files. Unlike other games, running out of stamina points here can kill the hero outright instead of starting to do health damage.

The VGA remake and original version were also released on CD-ROM as part of the 1996 Anthology collection and 1997 Collection Series.

I'm not really sure what he means by "lack of movement in the original". Movement was about the same, it was the fact that I now it felt like my options were limited.

In any case I know a lot of people will say the point and click is better, but not being shown what to ask and coming up with it yourself is more fulfilling. Plus they can throw in a few more jokes that way :) I just prefer an intelligent parser to being spoon fed my questions for me or limited to what I can do with a mouse.

That being said I sill love Quest for Glory IV which was all point and click. I would have preferred it to be like the others, but with updated graphics, but it still was an excellent game.

I tried one of the first Sierra King's Quest games with the text parser, but my English wasn't good enough, then. Which is the reason wh I never really liked it.

I think text parsing is ONLY effective if you know a certain language to a certain degree - and the most effective result can be achieved of course only with people having the game's language as their natural language …

With the use of a natural language, everything suddenly becomes much, much more fluent, more precise, and more direct. Imho.
Plus, there is no need to switch to and fro regarding languages in the own head, resulting in loss of time, consumption of energy and distortion because some words cannot be precisely translated ... (Like the TDE "Geweihter", for example, which I alwys translated as a "consecrated one", but the wiki has the seemingly wrong translation of a "deont".)

I think text parsing is ONLY effective if you know a certain language to a certain degree - and the most effective result can be achieved of course only with people having the game's language as their natural language …

Well, for me text games were the greatest motivation to learn English. (Also deciphering 2 issues of ACE magazine I had for ages before any computer)

ZX Spectrum was awash with them, and somehow their parsers made this computer look incredibly clever. You could actually TALK to it, of sorts ( ok - I was young :)
So, I liked to shoot aliens as much as the next kid, but when I got my hands on "Hobbit", I was converted :)
Once you learn the basic rules - and most parsers were pretty basic too - it wasn`t so bad. Of course it always got to the point where you got hopelessly stuck… it was so infuriating that I started copying most common verbs from a dictionary in an attempt to build one for text games ….

By the time I got to Sierra games I was an old hand :) and managed to breeze through LSL I and Space Quest I - still consider this one of my most hardcore gaming achievements :)

I totally failed at all other Sierras though…but it had more to do with ridiculous puzzles than language barrier…

Don't know why you say it's not really an RPG. To me, the QFG series is more an RPG than 90% of the games that call themselves RPG nowadays.

Don't know why you say it's not really an RPG. To me, the QFG series is more an RPG than 90% of the games that call themselves RPG nowadays.

^ This.

Just because it looks like a Space Quest or Kings Quest game doesn't make it even remotely the same. The engine might be the same, but the Quest For Glory series is one of the best RPGs I've played. Wish they had made more.

@Alrik Knowing English sorta helps when typing in English for an English game ;) There are horrible parsers though, but QFG wasn't one of them.

Sorry ninja didn't see your question.

The biggest change was it was now point and click. Which has its advantages and disadvantages. For me I preferred ed the parser. I was still quite young, but the parser system was intuitive enough for me to figure out most of the puzzles. The combat was different as well. It's much better in the EGA version.

From Wikipedia:

Remake

I'm not really sure what he means by "lack of movement in the original". Movement was about the same, it was the fact that I now it felt like my options were limited.

In any case I know a lot of people will say the point and click is better, but not being shown what to ask and coming up with it yourself is more fulfilling. Plus they can throw in a few more jokes that way :) I just prefer an intelligent parser to being spoon fed my questions for me or limited to what I can do with a mouse.

That being said I sill love Quest for Glory IV which was all point and click. I would have preferred it to be like the others, but with updated graphics, but it still was an excellent game.

LOL! Thanks!

I don't remember the ending in the first one. I'm assuming it was not an aerial shot of speilburg?

Back
Top Bottom