Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Released for iPad

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has been released for iPad although is not available on all iPads. At the moment only iOS 6 is supported, so that rules out the iPad 1 owners, who are stuck at iOS 5.1. However fear not, support for the iPad 1 is coming.
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for iPad has been released!

Hi Friends,
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for iPad is now available in the Apple App Store!
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for iPad is currently English only, with additional languages coming in a free update. The iPad version also requires iOS 6, but iOS 5 support is coming soon!
Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur's Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons? computer role-playing games ever since.
Running on an upgraded and improved version of the Infinity Engine developed specifically for tablets, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition? includes the entire Baldur's Gate adventure, the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack, and never before seen content including a new adventure, and a new party member: Rasaad yn Bashir, a monk of the Order of the Sun Soul. A variety of enhancements are available for in-app purchasing, including new portrait and voice sets.
If you have any issues, contact us at support@beamdog.com and we'll get back to you as quickly as we can.
See you in the Forgotten Realms!
More information.

I have some fresh PC multiplayer impressions!

Finally convinced a friend who has played through ALL the infinity engine titles with me to give the Black Pits duo a shot…

Well… To quote him before we gave up "It's just plain not working properly"

In one hour we managed to get one fight.

Resting hangs the game, any DC and rejoining will crash the game, black pits save files appear in normal BG button, etc, etc

As BG super-veterans it's clear this "ENHANCED EDITION" has introduced MORE bugs into multiplayer. Making it pretty much unplayable 100% :(

What was that other quote? "its like they installed BG, installed a few mods wrongly that make the game crash then sold it to you"

Well, since this IS about the iPad version ...

I have played a bit on the iPad Mini (yes I have one of those as well),and am pleased with the performance and usability. I also have a Retina iPad and that works great, but I didn't know how it would translate to the Mini. Very pleased. Not perfect but quite solid and impressive.

Played up to the friendly arm inn. Not too much to say really its BG on the iPad. Everything was identical to the pc version minus a few voice choices during character creation.

It ran very smooth ( I have the iPad 4 with the a6x processor) it was difficult selecting loot from dead monsters. Might work better with a stylus or smaller fingers.

I wouldn't play this at home over my pc but it will definitely be my game of choice when not home.

Only fiddled with it for a few minutes but it seems like it will play just fine on the ipad (i have a ipad2). Looks good, loading times are acceptable. And best yet, I finally have a fantasy rpg for the ipad that doesn't look like it's target audience takes naps at school!

Got a lot of things that needs a Jail Breaked ipad, if i update to ios 6 i will lose it. So i'll have to wait for a JB for ios 6.

Just a question - why do you need to JB your iPad? Or rather, what are your reasons? For iPhone I know LockInfo is a biggie, and there is a 'quick settings' thing ... but aside from 'themes' - and the easier piracy that has always been the majority reason for folks hacking devices - I don't know why ...

I am a little tempted to jailbreak mine because I understand that then I could use some -ridiculously overpriced- accessory that would allow me to plug in USB drives. (I was meeting with a client the other day and he had a USB stick with a bunch of photos I needed to see and choose some to take with me, I had my ipad with me but it was useless, I had to bring a laptop as well) + I believe I read somewhere that it's possible to install a php server on jailbroken ios.

As a gadget used purely for entertainment (and sometimes as a way to show my portfolio) I find it indispensable, but as a work tool it's almost completely useless for me and those are two things that would change that. Then again I rarely need to do work on it, so I haven't bothered yet.

Most of all i need it for iMAME + the games for my iCADE, just modded it with new buttons too. You can also use things like Flash on a Jailbroken ipad. I don't care much for piracy (well i guess the MAME games could be questionable, at least the more recent ones), themes, i never use them.

Most of all i need it for iMAME + the games for my iCADE, just modded it with new buttons too. You can also use things like Flash on a Jailbroken ipad. I don't care much for piracy (well i guess the MAME games could be questionable, at least the more recent ones), themes, i never use them.

Cool, thanks.

I actually DO use mine for work, and personal productivity as well as music/movies/games ... and it is my constant companion - I call it my 90% computer. And I have never found a real reason to jailbreak, so I was just wondering. Like anything, it is all about the personal use-cases.

I have never used an ipad but on my Android there are many apps that require you to root your device to even use so doing that can open up many possibilities. Who knows maybe you could figure out a way to add mods to the IPAD version of BG which would then probably require a JB.

I will be putting an alternate kernal in my Samsung Galaxy to hopefully get rid of some of the annoyances.

Watched my wife tool around with the iPad version last night. Controls seemed fine and intuitive and it ran great. I think this will be a hit on mobile platforms.

Of course it will be a hit on the iPad as there is a serious RPG drought on the device. To bad I never had the need for any apple product. Yes you read that right never bought or owned a single apple product. Not going to buy one just to try this.

Of course it will be a hit on the iPad as there is a serious RPG drought on the device. To bad I never had the need for any apple product. Yes you read that right never bought or owned a single apple product. Not going to buy one just to try this.

I would never advocate anyone buying something like this for a game ... and as we have discussed at length before tablets (and smartphones) are non-essential luxury items even if you consider a computer and cell phone as 'essential' in modern society.

The funny thing ... reflecting on your statement compared to my having some Apple product in my house for ~33 years now (even though for most of the 90's the only thing I had from Apple was a Newton) - I can think of a bunch of different legit reasons people have had ... but very few of them translate from era to era. In other words, reasons to hate Apple now (they have almost lost me a few times in recent years) are very different than in the 90s (sinking ship) or late 80s (price, compatibility, price) or early 80s (non-IBM) ...

Sounds like me in the past also. It's mostly the cost and not really needing there product that stops me. Doesn't help living on a budget either. I used to think owning one was for fools but as they say to each there own.

I will be buying a eBook reader as I love reading books on paper and electronically. I'm thinking of buying a fire or nook. Any suggestions?

Hatred? No. But Apple products are overpriced and they're clearly not a real alternative for a serious gamer. As for tablets, I find them useless for work - but they're wonderful for surfing/reading and casual gaming. Also, I find my iPad to be an excellent device for both casual movie watching and listening to music/radio.

They're slightly overpriced, at least at release. But the build quality is fucking superb, love the feel of the ipad, it doesnt feel like cheap toy like most electronics these days and the screen is great. It's not meant to be an alternative to a computer or to serious gaming.. At least i doubt anyone would buy one to completely replace a stationary computer, it's a tablet and that's what it competes with.

I will be buying a eBook reader as I love reading books on paper and electronically. I'm thinking of buying a fire or nook. Any suggestions?

I always advise Kindle - and the E-Ink versions as well - for ereader. Reasons?
- Amazon has been amazing at dealing with customer service, and has tremendous ebook deals on a regular basis. Barnes & Noble has just gone through a horrible customer service problem as they try to shut down the Fictionwise / eReader services they bought (people couldn't get their stuff to transfer), and their deals are much more sparse.
- For folks like me who have screens in front of them all of the time, an ereader with E-Ink screen provides a nice break from LCD-vision, as it is more like reading paper to your eyes. The Nook tablets and Kindle Fire are just another tablet with built-in ereader app.

I have a Kindle 4 (pretty much same as current $69.99 version) and also a Nook Simple Touch (yes I have an issue ... that is a given). And I love the simplicity of the Kindle - and how easy it is for me to get a review book from an author and dump it on the Kindle, and how everything syncs across devices and so on.

Finally, I suggest sticking WITH 'special offers' ... last night I grabbed a $2 instant video credit, which made 'family movie night' free for us. I've gotten credits, discounts, and other stuff that has FAR outweighed the 'inconvenience' of seeing screensaver ads.

Back
Top Bottom