Morrowind Morrowind - scraping an existence

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
I had forgotten that this game could be pretty unforgiving if you decide not to exploit the various money pumps and enchant your brains out. If it weren't for the occasional deep discount sale on Dark Brotherhood glass armor I'd be outright broke. I like that....

And no map markers. I *mostly* like that. When an NPC tells you to go north west but can't be certain that is the right direction (and of course it wasn't) it gets a little annoying. But in the end, accomplishing a quest is far more rewarding than Oblivion or Skyrim because you had to work for it and the crappy pay.

Anyway...

I just love the wrong directions given by PCs. You could walk all the way across Vaardenfell and over mountains before figuring it out. Annoyed me to no end…

Still love the game.

Last edited:
One of the few things I didn't like about Morrowind was that the economy was pretty much broken out of the box. None of the merchants had enough money to buy the better artifacts from you. The result was that you're forced to sell certain things for far less than what they are worth.

The only positive effect is that you don't accumulate a godly amount of money too quickly, but I would rather that had been accomplished in a different manner.

Loved not having the map markers though. I miss the days when developers weren't too lazy to write directions.

I've scraped my way to 12K in septims. I like grabbing ingredients on these long jaunts through the landscape. And killing those obnoxious Cliff Racers has a purpose now.

One word - CREEPER. I assume you didn't find this merchant?

Yeah I remember him.. the Scamp on the second floor of that mansion with a bunch of Orcs, but he still only carries around 7500 gold.

I know there's a talking mudcrab merchant that carries 10,000 gold, but I never did find him.

I dumped all my stuff on the floor, then sold the small change (i.e., stuff up to 5.000) to Creeper, slept in an orc bed for a day (provided they weren't looking), sold him small change again ... repeat procedure until he has enough stuff in his inventory change so you can sell him the big stuff and buy the small stuff back. Then re-sell him the small stuff in increments. Repeat indefinitely.

One of the two RPGing exploits I discovered all by myself (the other one was the Trias exploit in P:ST). Never found the mudcrab merchant, though :(.

I dumped all my stuff on the floor, then sold the small change (i.e., stuff up to 5.000) to Creeper, slept in an orc bed for a day (provided they weren't looking), sold him small change again … repeat procedure until he has enough stuff in his inventory change so you can sell him the big stuff and buy the small stuff back. Then re-sell him the small stuff in increments. Repeat indefinitely.

One of the two RPGing exploits I discovered all by myself (the other one was the Trias exploit in P:ST). Never found the mudcrab merchant, though :(.

Yep that's the trick. That's how I gained enough gold to pay for outrageously expensive grand soul gem enchantments from the Temple enchanter (forgot her name).

I never bothered with money exploits like that. The closest I got was to trade the expensive loot for smaller stuff at an alchemist or some other vendor that sold moderately expensive light weight weapons.

In the case of the soul gem you might as well pay for it with loot directly. I used the Camonna Tong (sp?) house in Balmora as my base and storage area, it is very conveniently located next to public transport and close to a mages guild:)

Ugh, I remember spending hours searching for something due to bad directions. If I have a choice between bad directions and map markers, I'll take map markers any day. However, good directions are still preferable, especially if the journal is good enough.

Two of my current major quests - both guild and house, are located near towns I haven't discovered yet. Makes finding my destination a bit tricky :)

Back
Top Bottom