S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Requires a ‘Permanent Internet Connection’

If you wanted to start a conspiracy theory, it wouldn't be that big a stretch to suggest this sort if thing is an evil plot to kill PC gaming. :p

In reality, it's just businessmen who think they can force everyone to play their way, with absolutely no understanding of their audience or the medium in general. It's that sort of thinking that will lead to another video game market crash.

Well what do you know the outcry of angry fans have forced GSC Game World to rethink there drm plans. Here is the quote.

“The idea of implementing DRM came in as a possible anti-piracy solution. You know the severe level of commercial piracy we have here in ex-USSR region. This said however, there is no firm decision to go for DRM with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 as of now. Be assured, we do realize how uncomfortable this solution is for the players, so we’ll continue looking for most effective, yet acceptable for all, way of protecting the game by the time of its release.”

OK, what is all this tripe about how you aren't going to play anymore because it's all online? Please. The games are still advancing. They still work great. They still cost the same. They are still very fun.

There are minuses. Modding a game will be difficult if not outright impossible. Games probably won't be around at all a couple of years later. But there are positives, too. Different price structures become possible - like maybe paying $5 per week until you stop playing or get to $50 (rent to own). Updating the game becomes trivial, too.

Will rent-to-own really happen? Will we find some sneaky way to do mods? I don't know but I plan to be there playing, not sitting on the back porch dreaming about the good old days.

I'll still be playing as well, just not from those morons. I'll buy indies and I'll buy from companies like Stardock and CDP. The rest (if they make it always online) can take a long walk off a short pier for all I care.

I'll still be playing as well, just not from those morons. I'll buy indies and I'll buy from companies like Stardock and CDP. The rest (if they make it always online) can take a long walk off a short pier for all I care.

Agreed. Most of the games I'm interested in now come from those developers these days anyway.

There are minuses. Modding a game will be difficult if not outright impossible. Games probably won't be around at all a couple of years later.
The second point is the reason why I just can't stand "always online" DRM. I often go back and play my 10-15 year old games, heck I sometimes even play games from the 80's, and I don't foresee not doing this in the future. I don't trust companies like EA, Ubisoft, Eidos and so on to still have their verification servers online in 10 years. So I am voting with my wallet here, I want games that I'll be able to play in 10 years from now, and those are the games that I'll buy.

OK, what is all this tripe about how you aren't going to play anymore because it's all online? Please. The games are still advancing. They still work great. They still cost the same. They are still very fun.

It's a simple matter of principles really. I will not consent to the companies having complete control over my access to games I supposedly bought. Steam and other DRM methods try to do this, but because we have the files it's easy to circumvent should we ever get screwed. Streaming removes that possibility, the company truly has all control.

Also there is the matter of longevity. I don't like the idea of games, which I consider works of art, being temporary. Star Wars Galaxies for example will suddenly cease to exist come November, no longer being playable. With license agreements, company closures and technical issues always a threat, companies having complete control over my access to games means those games will die someday. That angers me and I don't want to support a business model that encourages it.

There are minuses. Modding a game will be difficult if not outright impossible. Games probably won't be around at all a couple of years later. But there are positives, too. Different price structures become possible - like maybe paying $5 per week until you stop playing or get to $50 (rent to own). Updating the game becomes trivial, too.

Will rent-to-own really happen? Will we find some sneaky way to do mods? I don't know but I plan to be there playing, not sitting on the back porch dreaming about the good old days.

Cross platform gaming is another potential benefit and being able to play your game on PC or console platform, then continuing it over on a mobile platform etc. Onlive already has an Android app in the works. The current version is watch only, but they are said to be working on one that will let you play the games.

There's also the fact that you won't have to necessarily upgrade your PC as much to play certain games since the hardware to run it is mostly on the server side.

But yeah, something like The Elder Scrolls or the Sims that have huge modding communities, that's going to be a problem unless they can figure out some way to work it out like letting modders create their work offline and upload it.

I can see pluses and minuses, but I'm pretty sure it's going to happen either way and I'll live with it.

Also there is the matter of longevity. I don't like the idea of games, which I consider works of art, being temporary. Star Wars Galaxies for example will suddenly cease to exist come November, no longer being playable. With license agreements, company closures and technical issues always a threat, companies having complete control over my access to games means those games will die someday. That angers me and I don't want to support a business model that encourages it.

I would assume a vacuum like that would end up creating a GOG-like streaming service for old and abandoned games. As long as the rights weren't a total mess (*coughcoughSystemShockcoughcough*) the companies holding the rights would at least get something for them vs nothing by not having them up.

The thing is Stalker is a niche game. It wont sell 2 million copy's like the other big boys. Now they will lose more sales due to this.

It had sold more than 4 million copies as a series to Aug 2010, and the original game had sold more than 2 million alone as of Sep 2008.

It had sold more than 4 million copies as a series to Aug 2010, and the original game had sold more than 2 million alone as of Sep 2008.

Ah but those 4 million are not in the first month were they. Thar's the whole series combined not that great when you think about. Correct me if I'm wrong there was three game released right?

You know the big boys more than double that that. Most of there money is made in the first month. I wouldn't count all those bargain bin steam sales.

I just love when people point out numbers to prove it sold well even though its a niche game. Facts are facts.

Allot of people I know dont even know what the game is or have never heard about it. Still doesn't mean its not a good series despite the bugs and lack of other things.

I would assume a vacuum like that would end up creating a GOG-like streaming service for old and abandoned games. As long as the rights weren't a total mess (*coughcoughSystemShockcoughcough*) the companies holding the rights would at least get something for them vs nothing by not having them up.

The entire videogame industry is so willing to abandon its past that I can't imagine that happening very effectively. Even GOG today has to basically beg publishers to bother with it.

24/7 internet connection? And what did you say thew excuse is? Piracy? Cheaters/boters? Bah.
The whole idiocy should be nominated for Ig Nobel prize.

So... My list of games I'll never play...
- Diablo3
- Stalker2
- next!

And somehow I believe I won't miss much by skipping those.

It's not the kind of thing that bothers me, and it's as inevitable as the sun coming up. Piracy is looked upon as the primary reason PC gaming is claimed to be behind console gaming - and it's only natural that companies will try to protect their property.

However, if the game is anything like the first games - I don't see the advantage for the consumer. Unlike D3 - the STALKER series has traditionally been singleplayer first and foremost, and I don't see how they would take advantage of an online environment in a significant way. But maybe they intend for it to be more multiplayer oriented?

I can appreciate people not wanting to support it, but you're fighting a losing battle. Human nature is such that the VAST majority will buy the games they want to play if they have the means, regardless of how it goes against their "principles".

That's just how we work.

I will be busy playing Stalker 2 after it is properly cracked and it will be properly cracked sooner or later .

In the future none will be able to play games without first solving +orc's riddles and understanding Zen in cracking !

Ah but those 4 million are not in the first month were they. Thar's the whole series combined not that great when you think about. Correct me if I'm wrong there was three game released right?
One game and two expandalones, really, as the two 'sequels' used many of the same resources and areas, and were produced in barely more than a year.

You know the big boys more than double that that.
4 million copies? If that is the metric you want to use then there are barely any titles that aren't niche. Also:

It wont sell 2 million copy's like the other big boys.

was what I replied to originally, so there is it seems a slight discrepancy in what constitutes a 'big boy' from day to day.

I just love when people point out numbers to prove it sold well even though its a niche game. Facts are facts.
That's not actually a fact, that's an opinion. You are, of course, 100% entitled to your opinion as to what constitutes niche, using whatever bar you want to set from day to day, as there is no objective measure or definition of 'niche' in this context. I simply pointed out that- using the yardstick from yesterday- Stalker was actually a 'big boy' itself.

Stalker is definitely "big enough" to qualify for a higher position. The overall positive response to the games should be quite enough to give the sequel even better chances.

You heard it here first: People will generally accept online-only conditions with a minimum of fuss. It's a matter of a few years before the mainstream audience is a-ok with it.

Stalker is definitely "big enough" to qualify for a higher position. The overall positive response to the games should be quite enough to give the sequel even better chances.

You heard it here first: People will generally accept online-only conditions with a minimum of fuss. It's a matter of a few years before the mainstream audience is a-ok with it.

Hm maybe that career as a cyber Robin hood destroying servers sounds like a good thing now. :biggrin:

The damn gaming public accept everything to easily that's the problem. You poor fickle people I'll laugh one day when games require a dna or retina scan.:p

As for you Zygo I can tell you love the Stalker series I get it.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone is denying that. That doesn't mean everyone should just roll over and accept it though. There are a ton of things society at large thinks is just fine that I personally don't want to do.

Yeah, that some things do exist doesn't automaticcally mean it's good.
Like slavery, for example.

Back
Top Bottom