Avadon - iPad Review @ Digitally Downloaded

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
After reviewing the PC version Digitally Downloaded reviews the iPad version of Avadon as well, stating that the port to iPad was well done, eventhough there are some issues.
A bigger concern is the fact that fingers are less precise than a mouse pointer. In combat, the game plays out over a grid – tap a square and the hero will head over there. Tap a monster and he/ she will attack the critter. But the grid is small, and occasionally you’ll tell the hero to do something by accident. On the higher difficulty levels, this can be lethal.

I would hope that in future Vogel production iPad ports (and I certainly hope there are a few of those), he includes the ability to pinch to zoom in closer to the action for more precise controls. I realise the game’s graphics would look pretty ugly up close, but the playability offset would be worth it.

In the end, Avadon is a fairly expensive game by the iPad’s typical standards, but it’s a must have despite that, with far more content and a far more interesting quest than almost anything else you can find on the App store. It looks like Jeff Vogel is on to something good here, and hopefully it’s just the start.
The final score is 4.5 out of 5.
Thanks Matt.
More information.

Does that mean that iPad/mobile RPGs gonna be covered by RPGWatch, too? If so, I'd like to call your attention to our small RPG named Pitman, also for iOS … ;)

We are primarily a PC centered side, but we do cover other platforms if there is enough interest or the news editor thinks it is newsworthy.

Does that mean that iPad/mobile RPGs gonna be covered by RPGWatch, too? If so, I'd like to call your attention to our small RPG named Pitman, also for iOS … ;)

Feel free to open a thread about it in our indie forum if you haven't done so already.

Bribing editors is a time-tested method of securing coverage. ;)

There are enough iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad users here that creating threads in the 'general RPG' area related to games of interest to the community is not a bad thing. As always, just be careful about the line between 'drawing attention' and 'advertising' ...

About 6 or 7 years ago, I was playing "ipad quality" games on PC. You don't actually need today's PC to play them any more and in some cases its far more convenient to play them on ipad than PC (on the bed rather than desk!).

Back
Top Bottom