Tactica Character Development

Tactica: Maiden of Faith

What is your prefered way to develop characters?

• I want to develop them by using skills/stats etc to improve them!

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I prefer to get points and place them all myself!

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • I prefer to have both! ( like in Wizardry 8 )

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Other ( Please specify in the thread )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
I am what people prefer about developing characters skills/stats etc, is the best way that skills and stats improve by using them, or is it that you incease it yourself? or do you have other new ideas? in that case please post in this thread.

Back in the day, I would have voted for total control of points doled out at levelling, and would have pointed to Morrowind as reinforcing evidence that usage-based systems reward the character equally for saving the world versus killing a thousand rats in the swamp.

Wiz8 prompted me to change that stance a bit. They did a great job of balancing the impact of levelling points with the impact of practice points.

I prefer assigning it myself. It may seem more 'realistic' to have skills increased by use, but I don't see what shows on my screen as exactly (and as everything) what my character(s) is doing. What I mean is, just as we don't see our characters going to the bushes to relief themselves, we also don't see time they spend practicing things. So, even though my character didn't open a lock *in game* doesn't mean he didn't spend time practicing the skill during off-hours. Just because my rogue didn't fight with two weapons *in game* doesn't mean he didn't practice it with the ranger during camping at the fire pit.

That makes me think of an old game where you could mark the skills you wanted your characters to practice...... hmmm that might be a good idea acctually.... to select which skills you want your chars to practice during traveling/in-active hours/resting........

I think Magic Candle III had a system where you could split off party members to work and train, or some such. I lost my disks so long ago I've forgotten most of it, and I didn't have a backup like I managed for most everything else.

I like the Wiz8 style personally. Some skills simply don't get used enough to train up, so putting a few points into them is needed to keep them on par with the rest of the game. While combat and magic skills rarely need to be pumped like that, since they're in use constantly (generally).

But a pure trained system like ADOM isn't bad in and of itself. It all depends on how well the game is balanced.

The Wizardry 8 style was - and still is - kind of new to me. Not necessarily "unique", but rarely seen by me, and rarely implemented, as well, I guess.

It was especially new to me - then - because I didn't know any other way than just putting points into a skill, up to then.

I haven't seen this kind of technique this far again. But maybe that's because of my choice of games.

Back
Top Bottom