Mass Effect - Banned in Singapore & More

Do you have a source for the idea that EA might try to make their own console? I'm pretty comfortable from here thinking this is a fantasy - as successful as EA is, they don't have the cash to win a console war.

I don't see any contradiction in MS denying a Mass Effect 2 - this is standard PR protocol until something is announced and, after all, they won't be publishing it, so why should they acknowledge it, if indeed there is anything to acknowledge?

As for disbanding BioWare if/when things go bad - we all know this - but it largely depends on BioWare's sales, doesn't it? Riccitello made the Drs (and himself) some very nice cash in (arguably) overvaluing BioWare, so I don't suppose they can complain however the future pans out.

Do you have a source for the idea that EA might try to make their own console?

This is where I read it first. There also has been talk in various forums but I'm too lazy to check for other links right now. Personally I'm quite confident that this is their long-term goal. The way things are right now Microsoft has simply too large of a piece of the pie and that is starting to disturb a lot of companies, see for example IBM offering office software for free.

I don't see any contradiction in MS denying a Mass Effect 2 - this is standard PR protocol until something is announced and, after all, they won't be publishing it, so why should they acknowledge it, if indeed there is anything to acknowledge?

True, but ME was always planned to be a trilogy. And Microsoft not confirming sequels happened only after EA buying Bioware. Could that meant that the sequels won't be made for the XBox? That wouldn't make Microsoft very happy, don't you think? Also note that Lucas Arts had no problem confirming working on a new game with Bioware. I can't prove a thing of course, and this might be a coincidence.

As for disbanding BioWare if/when things go bad - we all know this - but it largely depends on BioWare's sales, doesn't it?

And Bioware's sales depend on the quality of their products, don't they?

Riccitello made the Drs (and himself) some very nice cash in (arguably) overvaluing BioWare, so I don't suppose they can complain however the future pans out.

That was not my point, however.

[edit] I just read at the Codex that Bioware is looking for a new writer. Could that mean that some of their best are starting to leave (already!?!)

Last edited:
I still don't see EA with their own console. The IBM thing isn't much of a comparison - you've got a company with a market capitalisation of ~$155B looking to re-package the already-free OpenOffice vs a company worth ~$16B looking to tackle a product worth at least half of that. I'm not saying you are wrong but it's a long, long shot at being accurate.

And I don't see anything in the MS silence on ME2, sorry. It's still standard PR practice. I don't see any relevance in the LucasArts MMO story. I wouldn't be surprised if ME2 wasn't exclusive to the X360 but I can't see them excluding the platform. Are you suggesting they'd go for PS3 and/or Wii only?

Re the IBM thing, it's more than just 'repackaging' Open Office, they plan to include their own Lotus software as well.

I'm not suggesting anything, all I'm doing is reading the net and trying to project current trends into the future. Everyone is free to agree or disagree, only time will tell. The future is full of surprises, eg who was expecting the latest developments with Interplay.

Back
Top Bottom