Fable 2 - Molyneux rates it 9/10

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Peter Molyneux restrained himself here and only awarded Fable 2 with a cautious 9/10 in this interview snip:
Speaking in an interview with CVG's paper cousin, Xbox World 360, Molyneux says he hasn't made "the same mistakes I made in the past," with the second Fable.

"Black & White, The Movies, Dungeon Keeper, pretty much every game I've ever done has had interesting features thrown in to the pot without worrying what the flavour was like," he said.

"I'd rate it a 9 out of 10," Molyneux added, when asked if he'd fulfilled his original vision with Fable II.

"It's the best, most complete game I've ever worked on. The look is perfect, the interface is fantastic. It's a role-playing game, but where are all the f***ing icons? Aren't you supposed to be cluttering the screen up with mini-maps and the like? Not us.
More information.

He was lying. Obviously he'd rate it 10/10, but he lowered it to 9/10, so he wouldn't sound arrogant..

Indeed.

Every company hypes their games during production and prior to release. Don't really understand why you all see his comments as anything different from that.

How long does this "most complete game" take to play?

Every company hypes their games during production and prior to release. Don't really understand why you all see his comments as anything different from that.

Hype is a common practice in the industry but it's nonetheless curious to see someone continuously boast their games repeatedly, fail to deliver on his promises, yet still being treated as someone who can do no wrong. This isn't meant to disregard his work in the past - Molyneux deserves some recognition for it - but when the media viciously attacks small developers for games for which they try and fail to deliver, but gloss over Molyneux when he has been doing the exact same recently, and even goes to claim "all RPGs are shit", it's fairly revealing of why he gets such a reception.

~RP.

JemyM rate his comment on this thread 8.2/10

Hype is a common practice in the industry but it's nonetheless curious to see someone continuously boast their games repeatedly, fail to deliver on his promises, yet still being treated as someone who can do no wrong. This isn't meant to disregard his work in the past - Molyneux deserves some recognition for it - but when the media viciously attacks small developers for games for which they try and fail to deliver, but gloss over Molyneux when he has been doing the exact same recently, and even goes to claim "all RPGs are shit", it's fairly revealing of why he gets such a reception.

~RP.

Then the problem is the journalists, not Peter Molyneux. Actually given the history of the guy, rating his own game *only* 9/10 is actually a huge improvement and a step in the right direction over his previous overgrown ego. 5 years ago he'd had rated himself 15/10... at least.
I personally don't care how nice or arrogant developers are as long as their games entertain me, just as music actually, never cared to learn what's the life(style) and/or political ideas of people/bands I listen to.
The only thing Peter Molyneux funny yet arrogant attitude has taught me is not give any value to previews/pre-release interviews, it didn't make me hate the guy though.

Edit: also if you reread carefully the interview, the question was something like "have you fulfilled your original vision with Fable II". To what he answers "I'd rate it 9/10" which I think actually means given how the question was phrased "I only managed to deliver 90% of what I wanted to put in Fable 2 back when it was just a concept in my head/in preproduction". He didn't actually say "if I were a reviewer I'd rate the game 9/10".

But then the journalist because he knows it'd make a catchier title calls the whole article "Molyneux rates Fable 2 9/10" which anyone interprets out of context as "he rates the whole game 9/10".

Yeah I'm starting to hate journalists more and more, and dislike Molyneux less and less.

Now I don't know how 90% implementation of what was originally planned ranks in industry standards, but really it means nothing. A dev could ship a game with 100% of what he wanted to put in it and the game would still be awful. Another dev can deliver only 40% of what he wanted to do and yet the game might turn out to be a true gem.

All in all, that was a stupid question that means nothing from the journalist, an ambiguous answer subject to reinterpretation from Molyneux, and a very smart move from CVG on how to "market" that article to make it sound more than it actually is.

Last edited:
If you'll note, I'm neither defending nor attacking Molyneux - merely pointing out that given the hype he injects into his projects, ranging from hyperbolic to hysterical, it's understandable why some object to his antics. Of course, you're fine with it. Others are not. And also of course, the interviewer clearly exploited Peter's enthusiastic persona to later cause some ruckus over such a rating. That's standard practice too, and a terrible one at that.

Nonetheless, it is regrettable that when Molyneux claims all RPGs are shit people keep quiet. If it was a random comment from an anonymous guy over at the Codex, it would be a riot :lol:

I actually enjoyed it, as a light-weight action RPG. Don't expect a world the size of M&M, or PS:T writing, and it'll be an okay experience. Fighting is certainly not very challenging, but fun nonetheless. The game world has a decent atmosphere, and you do meet a few interesting NPCs.

All in all, I feel it's worth a shot if you have some time on your hands.

Fable 1 sold a few million units. The hype worked even as feature after feature was removed.

To be fair he's giving it a 9/10 to what he originally envisioned for it, not for the quality of the game. For that he turns it up to 11.

Back
Top Bottom