Bethesda Softworks - Turned Down "A Game of Thrones" Title

BTW doesn't Obsidian work with another studio on a Wheel of Time game? I never heard of them being offered Game of Thrones, but it is possible because I think they probably would have approached several studios before ending up at Cyanide.

I mixed them up, only remembered that Obsidianites were working as consultants or programmers on another studio's book-based rpg.

I just have to ask why has no one talked about the HBO series? It is the best TV programming I have ever watched. If you are a true roleplayer or love fantasy you have to watch it. This is coming from someone who has been playing Pen and Paper games since the 1970's. Also, been playing computer RPG's since Wizardry 1 on my Apple 2e :) Just trying to help if you have not seen this series yet.

Someone mentioned piranah bites as superior writers? Maybe in their native tongue, but their english versions of games are just average.

Someone mentioned piranah bites as superior writers? Maybe in their native tongue, but their english versions of games are just average.

Agree, I would not call PB as great writers. Their games on average are better than the TES games but that not because of their writing.

Bio is still better writers than Bethesda and PB even though I am not too keen on their recent games such as ME2 or DA2.

This was absolutely the right decision for Bethsoft. They already own the two top (arguably) western RPG properties - I'd argue both have more recognition among gamers than A Game of Thrones.

This was absolutely the right decision for Bethsoft. They already own the two top (arguably) western RPG properties - I'd argue both have more recognition among gamers than A Game of Thrones.

This is true, and you're probably right, but just to play devil's advocate, perhaps Bethesda's involvement on a Game of Thrones title would have raised the recognition level of the property, as well as adding a fresh "mystique" factor for those that don't know much about Game of Thrones. Just as an example, the Fallout name has always carried a lot of weight among the "hardcore" RPG crowd, but it was hardly a widely recognized property before Bethesda made Fallout 3.

This is true, and you're probably right, but just to play devil's advocate, perhaps Bethesda's involvement on a Game of Thrones title would have raised the recognition level of the property, as well as adding a fresh "mystique" factor for those that don't know much about Game of Thrones. Just as an example, the Fallout name has always carried a lot of weight among the "hardcore" RPG crowd, but it was hardly a widely recognized property before Bethesda made was 3.

I'm going to need proof as both games were huge hits in there time. I have to disagree.

I'm going to need proof as both games were huge hits in there time. I have to disagree.

I agree, in their time. But thanks to a rather large gap in between games and a mainstream market that is so quick to forget classic titles, Fallout wasn't as big of a name as Elder Scrolls after Morrowind and Oblivion, and Fallout 3 brought the name back to prominence. As much as I thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 3, it pains me to say that I imagine that a large number of people who played Fallout 3 had never heard of or played the originals. And no, i don't have proof of that, just a hunch ;)

Last edited:

Huge hits to who? To the hardcore crpg crowd, yes. To the mainstream gaming crowd… not so much. I have to agree with Nerevarine that a lot of FO3 fans probably never played the first two titles at all.

Yeah, fallout 1 and 2 were hits to CRPG players, and at the time I think fallout 2 sold somewhere in the ballpark of 200k to 300k...compare that to the sales of fallout 3 which was in the millions, so yes they definately uped the name recognition.

Huge hits to who? To the hardcore crpg crowd, yes. To the mainstream gaming crowd… not so much. I have to agree with Nerevarine that a lot of FO3 fans probably never played the first two titles at all.

Naah. Comparing apples with oranges.

Most FO3 couldn't possibly have played FO and FO2 because they were a) not even born b) not old enough to meet the rating c) not able to get hands on a computer d) never owned a computer but a console (old SNES or new PSX maybe).

Heck, I know a guy at the local GameStop that looks alot like the Comic guy from Simpsons but goes on telling me about the 'good ole days of the PSX' when he was a child.

For the installed base of gaming PCs at the time of the release both games were hits - don't you doubt this. Not mega sellers, but they were never intended to be one of those. FO was a low-cost side project, which got even cheaper when they had to kiss the GURPS licence goodbye.

Regarding production cost FO and FO2 were as successful as Deep Throat, El Mariachi or Night of the Living Dead.

Thing is if you compare FO (1997) and FO2 (1998) sales to big PC game hits of the time you see the Fallout games, well, really weren't big hits. Diablo (1998) sold 2.5 million copies! Starcraft 1.5 million in 1998 and over 10 million total. Half Life approaching 10 million.

Thing is if you compare FO (1997) and FO2 (1998) sales to big PC game hits of the time you see the Fallout games, well, really weren't big hits. Diablo (1998) sold 2.5 million copies! Starcraft 1.5 million in 1998 and over 10 million total. Half Life approaching 10 million.

Yup. Also Baldur's Gate (1998) sold 2 million, Baldur's Gate 2 (2000) sold 2 million, Warcraft 2 (1995) sold 2 million, Riven (1997) sold 4.5 million, etc.

The big PC hits back in the day sold millions. Fallout 1&2 were more like cult hits. They gained fame among RPG players, but never really made it big in the mainstream. They sold around 15-20% of what Baldur's Gate games sold.

All I'm seeing is people comparing the amount of units sold. Its a sad time when a game has to sell millions just to be considered good.:disappointed:

All I'm seeing is people comparing the amount of units sold. Its a sad time when a game has to sell millions just to be considered good.:disappointed:

In fact none of us commented on the quality of the games.

Since there seemed to be confusion about this subject, stating information about how much different PC titles sold at the time, including RPG's, gives everyone a more accurate view of how big hits F1 and F2 actually were.

Yeah, fallout 1 and 2 were hits to CRPG players, and at the time I think fallout 2 sold somewhere in the ballpark of 200k to 300k…compare that to the sales of fallout 3 which was in the millions, so yes they definately uped the name recognition.

Well, I the Fallout 3 CE sells very poorly here. One is even now able to find them (although they have become more scare in the recent months).

In fact none of us commented on the quality of the games.

Since there seemed to be confusion about this subject, stating information about how much different PC titles sold at the time, including RPG's, gives everyone a more accurate view of how big hits F1 and F2 actually were.

And you sir take offense to quickly, I was pointing out there still good games even if they didn't sell 2 million at the time they came out. And yes what I stated seems to be the model for today's standard to say your game is good and a success.

And you sir take offense to quickly,
I was pointing out there still good games even if they didn't sell 2 million at the time they came out. And yes what I stated seems to be the model for today's standard to say your game is good and a success.

Huh? I don't see any reason for why I would be offended. Or why anyone else would consider me offended.

You would probably have a hard time finding people on this board who think that the amount of units sold equals quality. So I'm not sure what you are debating about, or who you are debating with?

Back
Top Bottom