Mass Effect 2 - Review @ IGN

I'll add that Mass Effect proves that a significant portion of the shooter crowd has a tolerance for significant RPG elements. To me the weakest part of ME is the quality of side quests but it sounds like they have addressed that in ME2. The ME main quests are just sooooo much fun though.

I actually stopped playing ME1 due to the boring side quests, for a while. Later I picked it back up and made an effort to ignore the boring stuff and focus on the fun parts. Now I think it's a great game.

I have high hopes for ME2, especially since I can import my character. I actually don't think I've played any game where decisions in a game has consequences in a sequel (beyond skills/stats). Has it been done before?

Come to think of it, I have read that one of the Metal Gear Solid games reads saved data from other games and uses the information in order to mess with the player's head during a boss fight… not the same, but also pretty neat. ;)

Some people simply feel the need to bash anything that doesn't conform to their idea of what an RPG should be.

Hence why I have become bored with RPG sites in general. So many can tell you what is and isn't an rpg...according to them. Sometimes people forget that we are playing games not deciding the future of mankind. ME1 was fun, and I'm sure this will be too, in fact I bet I will love it and who gives a rats ass about the codex?

My problem with ME is just that it's not an RPG. It is a shooter first and foremost, with decision making. That doesn't make it an RPG (I also make decisions in Tetris and that doesn't make it an RPG).
To me, RPG is about meaningful character development. In ME1 I sometimes forgot to assign my skills after level up, at one point I had like 22 points unassigned, and I was doing just fine... because like I said, the game is a shooter wearing RPG clothes.

My problem with ME is just that it's not an RPG. It is a shooter first and foremost, with decision making. That doesn't make it an RPG (I also make decisions in Tetris and that doesn't make it an RPG).
To me, RPG is about meaningful character development. In ME1 I sometimes forgot to assign my skills after level up, at one point I had like 22 points unassigned, and I was doing just fine… because like I said, the game is a shooter wearing RPG clothes.

I've had far more unassigned points in the Gothic games than that. I'm pretty sure those are RPGs. Bottom line is that ME has enough "rpgness" to keep it interesting in my book. Choices. Consequences. I made two decisions last night that had very real consequences. Its a new word: "rpgness". ME has solid rpgness.

I have no idea why a lot of people seem to think replacing elevator rides with loading screens is a good idea. I realize that a lot of players misunderstood the elevators in the citadel/Normandy/Noveria/etc for being pointless timesinks (added for realism or whatever), and not actually loading screens, but with a small explaination it should've been possible to keep the feature. I generally find the banter a lot better than simply watching a silly loading screen.

To me, RPG is about meaningful character development. In ME1 I sometimes forgot to assign my skills after level up, at one point I had like 22 points unassigned, and I was doing just fine… because like I said, the game is a shooter wearing RPG clothes.

Ironic right after my post was made someone posted that it was not an rpg....I love rpg fans.

Ironic right after my post was made someone posted that it was not an rpg….I love rpg fans.

That was my thought ... for me it matters more if it stresses stuff I like in the two genres it plays in.

That was my thought … for me it matters more if it stresses stuff I like in the two genres it plays in.

I'm thinking that defining games as rpg or shooter or strategy is no longer the best route to take, it really narrows down what a game can be considered. I mean it is a shifting target for what is an rpg depending apon the person talking about it. System shock 2 to many is an rpg, and mass effect 1 was not one, how does that make any sense at all?

NO easy for this I guess, just seems silly to pigeon hole a game into some wierd classification that no one can tell you the criteria for it being there other then opinion.

To me they are more like 'tags' than strict genres, showing what elements to expect rather than defining the game itself.

I've had far more unassigned points in the Gothic games than that. I'm pretty sure those are RPGs. Bottom line is that ME has enough "rpgness" to keep it interesting in my book. Choices. Consequences. I made two decisions last night that had very real consequences. Its a new word: "rpgness". ME has solid rpgness.

Well, I haven't played the Gothics, but in ME you got like 3 points per level, so 22 was like not advancing my character (and doing just fine) for about 8 levels.
Now, if stats and skill advancements don't make any or much difference… why have them at all? Just make it a straight shooter without stats and skills. Just have Quake, with companions and talkie talkie and decisions, there, the perfect cRPG… NOT!

Well, I haven't played the Gothics, but in ME you got like 3 points per level, so 22 was like not advancing my character (and doing just fine) for about 8 levels.
Now, if stats and skill advancements don't make any or much difference… why have them at all? Just make it a straight shooter without stats and skills. Just have Quake, with companions and talkie talkie and decisions, there, the perfect cRPG… NOT!

Well I'm assuming you farmed the sidequests like I did and got lots of gear and cash? Find or buy any armor with 400+ shields? Quality heat dampeners? There is some serious hardware to be found in ME1 for those who are paying attention and managing their upgrades. Your skills are just one facet of the overall picture after all. The game is not exceptionally difficult. If it were you probably would have needed the extra 22 points. Does the fact that it was too easy make it any less of an RPG?

Well I'm assuming you farmed the sidequests like I did and got lots of gear and cash? Find or buy any armor with 400+ shields? Quality heat dampeners? There is some serious hardware to be found in ME1 for those who are paying attention and managing their upgrades. Your skills are just one facet of the overall picture after all. The game is not exceptionally difficult. If it were you probably would have needed the extra 22 points. Does the fact that it was too easy make it any less of an RPG?

No, the fact that stats didn't matter at all is what made it a lot less of an RPG. In Quake you could get different weapons too, and armor, shields, etc. that doesn't make it an RPG.

I think that's an overstatement. I couldnt hit the broadside of a barn without the weapon skills and the sniper rifle was almost impossible. Armour skills were critical for the 400+ shielded sets and unlocking dialog options were a requirement for quite a few quests if you wanted Paragon points.

Back
Top Bottom