Lucky Day's Wizard War! for Android development thread

I found a bug. When a wizard casts invisible as you run away, the next baddy thinks he's invisible and you can't hit him. Should be a simple fix but the outcome is nasty.

so three things to do

change the maps (done)
fix the invisibility bug
update the help screen to include stats.

has anyone found anything else or have comments? are people waiting for the update before continuing?

I am having another problem but I believe its phone based. The game frequently doesn't realize where I am at. For instance I can be several tiles from a wall or door and when I try to advance I get the "hit the wall" text and sound with no movement. Sometimes it does it a few times in a row before movement. Sometime if I wait a few seconds it works fine, sometimes not. I don't see anything consistent about it as I cannot get a way to always move smoothly.

Is anyone else using Android having the same problem?

GSM Galaxy Nexus.

1.20GHz TI OMAP 4460 (ARM Cortex A9 + PowerVR SGX540)

Android 4.3

Probably to hard to replicate if other Android phones are not doing it. This one is about 2 years old.

Is there a time loop locking the FPS and such ? otherwise this could be causing such an issue I guess.

It'd be weird if it is a phone specific problem.

There is no delay or or pause on drawing the screen, or even a loop. There is a loop of course to go through the area and populate the 13 images that the player should see. The drawScreen method will only occur if some action is made like moving forward. I do nothing to the FPS.

Some actions will redraw it as a "just in case", actions that normally wouldn't draw it all, such as coming out of camp or combat (I think - I'm at work, code not in front of me).

I was thinking it was phone specific, but either way it doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

I'm thinking an option to redraw the screen might fix the problem. I can make it specific to certain speeds or types of devices or have it as an optional flag. For types of devices I'd need to keep a database for anyone that report it. I wouldn't want it to draw the screen twice for everyone though.

GG, would you also like to beta-test?

I've added the Book of Weapons and the Bestiary. The Book of Armors should be pretty easy as there are only a few, same with the Book of Spells.

I've added a fix to the invisibility bug but I haven't tested it yet.

I should say your needs for Zzzz's will go away as soon as you get the heal spell. I added the mana recharge while walking for the purpose of spells. Resting after that point becomes a risky way to accelerate your mana increase. My wife made me aware long ago that too much snoring from my side will not be tolerated.

Even if you don't lock any FPS, you must always scale everything by multiplying with or other means with ( GetCurrentTimeMillis ) ussually or another time function. Otherwise you'll get problems.

Maybe you're doing that already though....

Even if you don't lock any FPS, you must always scale everything by multiplying with or other means with ( GetCurrentTimeMillis ) ussually or another time function. Otherwise you'll get problems.

Maybe you're doing that already though….

I'm not doing that but in researching I might have stumbled upon the solution: Invalidate(); and there's a post invalidate too (the name doesn't make sense to me).

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ately-redrawing-the-screen-in-my-android-game

I need to do more research, but if I can do this and redraw my own screen maybe it will work of TOFF and all his Toff friends.

The rest of the in game "manual" is done, giving the stats of weapons, armor, spells, and beastiary. I tracked down the invisibility bug. I was doing a complete playthrough I remembered to check for it then realized it should have occured already. Taht's fixed.

Unfortunately, at one point my mana went to -1. I've searched through the code and the obvious things such as the check for the amount of mana it uses vs the cost isn't the issue and the baddie should be using your mana either. It doesn't make too much sense and it only seems to occur in complicated fights with high level wizards using combinations of spells. Very odd. I will say though the game gets hard sometimes. :)

I didn't get a chance to check the invalidate() Activity method and to see if it looks harmless. When I get that done I'll get a new build to Toff.

invalidate() proved harmless, so let's see if I can track down this mana -1 bug then I'll send you the next beta.

mana bug tracked down.

the player was losing mana when an enemy cast a spell in high level combat. First I tracked it down to invisibility, then I saw that it was double dipping. Both the enemy and the player were losing mana.

When I checked before and after mana, surprisingly the players mana was already -8 lower than it should be - this wasn't displayed on the screen. I already confirmed the player's mana was where it should be in their spell method so something was happening in between.

I tracked hte problem down to the enmy version of the shield spell. There was a check on it but the player was being sent as the casting object instead of the enemy. A simple fix and a test and its working great.

Now to get Toff a new beta...

yay! how's it working for you? my wife got the S3 and its got a very nice look and feel she likes. I've yet to test the game on it though.

I'm tracking down a curious bug that popped up concerning spell order. The AI was ignoring spells it should have been casting. When I tested the emulator it worked fine so I'm tracking it on the tablet and doing a complete walkthrough at the same time.

Maybe I fixed it and didn't know it. :eek: As soon as I track that down (assuming nothing else pops up) I'll let you know about the new build.

Last edited:
I came from a Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 5.

Things I don't like.
-NonRounded corners of the case. It just doesn't feel as good in your hand as the GN. I have a case coming in so this complaint doesn't really matter.
-Button Placement. The GN buttons were more away from the edges than the N5 which I prefer.
-The screen. Not that the N5 screen is bad but I liked the GN one better (when it worked perfectly). Better colors for sure in the GN.
-Battery. The battery doesn't seem to last long, about as long as the GN did when it was 1.5 years old. The battery isn't replaceable also.
-Speaker, at full volume its distorted. They are working on a software fix for that tho. Also the earbud volume doesn't seem to be as loud as the GN.

Things I like:
-The PoWeR! Its clearly faster. Super smooth and fast everything.
-LTE!
-The screen is a bit larger. I wanted a Note 3 but just didn't want to pay the money for it so settled for the N5.

My GN was on the way out. I'm not impressed with Samsungs longevity in their products. My old HTC Nexus 1 still works perfectly yet the GN screen is not right as it has offcolored lines in it and lots of them. It also stuttered and paused a bit in normal usage. I would have probably kept the GN if the screen wasn't messing up. The 4.3 update slowed down my GN and made it not as smooth as it used to be.

Last edited:
Well I'm still having the movement problem.

I'll see if I can record the screen somehow for you in the next few days.

wish I knew someone with that Nexus. They want $100-200 for one on eBay. I'll try a double screen refresh and research GG's idea.

have you tried it on the Nexus 5 yet?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom