What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I get migraines like 5 times a month, and they pretty much lay me out. Thankfully, sumatriptan generic takes care of it most of the time. The nuke is definitely Maxalt, but that stuff is expensive since it's brand name only.

I usually bring them on myself too - stress, clenching my jaw, holding tension in my neck
Ouch!!!
Maxalt is another triptane, right?

Tried sumatriptane, but it didn't help. Neither did opioids. The only med that's partially successful (against the shadows, but not necessarily the attack peaks) is an anticonvulsant. Combined with Metamizole it even gets rid of the peaks, but whenever I have to take the stuff, I'm like, totally drunk.
Usually I have cluster episodes of three to seven weeks, with breaks of two to three months between episodes. Right now I'm in my fifth week, with three weeks of anticonvulsants under my belt ^^.

Maxalt is rizatriptan benzoate. Like I said, it's the "nuke" in my arsenal against migraines, takes care of it in like a half hour and it always works. It's also prohibitively expensive.

Normally I'll take Sumitriptan, and it's just strong enough to get the job done, but barely and it takes like an hour or two. Does the trick tho, thankfully I dont need anything stronger most times.

On BluRay, I just watched the movie Zambezia......although is classified as kid's movie, I really fail to see why? The movie is about a father and son and their relationship; it is also about the importance of togetherness and that 'it is better together.' In short: a children's movie with a relevant message...

I've just watched Skyfall (on DVD). And I got a bit confused? Why was this James Bond movie named Skyfall? And why did another agent ask James Bond about Skyfall? Was it planned to be an organisation? that was Bond's enemy?

And why was Da Silva the enemy? I didn't quite understand the plot....

Why was this James Bond movie named Skyfall?
JUDI DENCH
Huh, so "Skyfall" is the name of your family estate. That's random.
DANIEL CRAIG
Yeah, it was coined as a fancy word for sunset, that moment when the bright blue sky gives way to darkest night. I guess instead of "sky fall" we could have gone with "dark night rises" but for some reason we didn't.
(from "Skyfall: The Abridged Script")

Rurouni Kenshin (2012)

Live Action movie — pretty good adaptation of the anime series. Trailer

Just wanted to say Battousai is sexy.
Is it me or that's a woman acting a male role?

In any case, I adore wuxia no matter if it's animebased and I'm definetly gonna get that movie when available on DVD (didn't see it in cinemas over here).

Just wanted to say Battousai is sexy.
Is it me or that's a woman acting a male role?
Heh. I think it's a man. ;) They do often look androgynous.

In any case, I adore wuxia no matter if it's animebased and I'm definetly gonna get that movie when available on DVD (didn't see it in cinemas over here).
And hopefully the anime series as well. It's a real classic and one of the best anime series out there — humor paired with occasional heart-wrenching tragedy and swords play.

Sorry never watched (never heard of in fact) of those series.
But if the movie is good, I'll try to find series too.

Just finished watching Resident Evil: Retribution.

I say "finished" because I watched as much as I could tolerate which was about 45 minutes. It has to be one of the silliest movies I have ever seen. The plot is ridiculous, and the acting is laughable even by video game standards. I literally can't even find the words to fully describe how I feel about it.

Instead, I'll just leave you with a quote from this review.

Anderson’s action chops are undeniable — but ‘Resident Evil: Retribution’ might be one of the dumbest things ever crafted by human hands.

I saw The Machinist, with Christian Bale. Pretty cool movie, and was shocked at what he went through for this role. He lost 27 kilos for the role. He's shockingly malnourished for the role. Sometimes I even thought his skinny-ness might've been CGI-ed, but apparently it's all real. And this was in 2003-2004. Then he had to put back all that weight, and gain some more muscle-mass for his role in Batman Begins. Shocking what he put his body through for a role.

The Machinist is a masterpiece.

It is an unique study of guilt, of emptiness of the heart, of a human soul itself.
danutz, if you stumble upon any similar movie, please bring it up! I've been searching for years for more of this stuff, yet nothing like this gets shot.

Oh fuck yeah. Brofist x10, the Machinist was an unbelievable film. One of those rare films that i watched, then re-watched immediately afterward. Great movie, stellar performance by Bale. Worthy of actually owning on DVD. I wonder if there's a director's cut or something with additional footage that wasnt originally released.

But I must step back a second, and regurgitate the hideous mass residing in my brain after viewing "Texas Chainsaw" last night. The new one, that just came out. Omfg…. where do i begin..

Do i even want to begin??

Just do yourself a favor and never EVER watch that film, it's absolutely horrible. This is from someone who loves horror, from someone with undoubtedly questionable taste. Someone who knows and accepts that the horror genre itself, probably more than any other genre, is loaded with horrible sequels, remakes, re-tellings, re-envisionings and is willing to cut some slack. I love the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, part 2 is a masterpiece, "Leatherface" is great, and even tho "the next generation" is pretty awful, still within it's own little hideous realm it's nowhere as bad as this latest film.

The Evil Dead remake, however was awesome. Straight up horror, they didnt go for laughs or fun, or action. Solid, scary, gory, instant classic re-telling of Evil Dead. I cannot recommend it enough. Even the Dawn of the Dead remake, released a while back ago, wasnt bad. Night of the Living Dead remake was pretty cool

Texas Chainsaw, however…. please dont patronize this film and encourage the idiots that made it!

The Machinist is a masterpiece.

It is an unique study of guilt, of emptiness of the heart, of a human soul itself.
danutz, if you stumble upon any similar movie, please bring it up! I've been searching for years for more of this stuff, yet nothing like this gets shot.
Well, at least a bit similar for various reasons and quite good in their own right are these, perhaps: Requiem for a Dream, Memento, Black Swan, Oldboy.

I refused to watch Black Swan. I still refuse. Based on it's description it's not what I want to watch.

Bought Memento and Oldboy ages ago. I'm sucker for having such stuff in my home DVD collection. Oldboy was so fantastic that I've also got the rest of that masterpiece trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance) - and I refuse to buy or watch the unnecessary and silly remake Hollywood is preparing! And Memento has the exact amount of complicated stuff that made my brain happy for days, even weeks after watching it.

Requiem/dream, watched, but wasn't impressed that much, perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention or perhaps I just despise dramatizing stuff about drug addicts and IIRC the movie is about that. Perhaps for the same reason I can't understand what was so good about the movie Trainspotting. To me that movie is an utter crap.

I refused to watch Black Swan. I still refuse. Based on it's description it's not what I want to watch.
Heh, was quite good though. Are you perhaps looking for "mindfuck" movies in general? Some more examples, in no particular order:

Fight Club, Donnie Darko, The Butterfly Effect, Lucky Number Slevin, 6th Sense, The Others, Stay, Identity, Triangle, Mr. Nobody, The Game, The Orphanage, Changeling, Primer, The Fountain, Remember Me, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Haven't seen some of them, but since I like these types of movies, too.. yay for me.

Last edited:
Donnie Darko is the biggest bullshit I've ever seen in my life. If someone didn't watch it, I suggest do not waste your time on that crap.

Most of those others I've seen and are all good. Not all are "mindfuck", Changeling for example is drama, but an awsome one.

Back
Top Bottom