Gothic 2 Gothic 2 - Vista 64-bit "Insufficient Memory" Error

themadhatter

Philosopher Emeritus
I just attempted to install Gothic 2 (in order to take some screenshots for the Watch itself) and encountered this baffling little error. I can't seem to resolve it, no matter how I try, nor were there any reliable online sources that did...thus I turn to my fellow members here.
Alright, first, a basic rundown of the system I'm attempting to install the game on.
MB: nForce 680i, latest drivers
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, E6750 at 3.0 Ghz
GPU: GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
MEMORY: 4 GB (2 onboard, 2 flash)
VMEMORY: 4 GB
It is, in short, a system that well-exceeds the recommended set-up for running G2. Nonetheless, attempting to install the game leads me to immediately encounter an error which reads "Insufficient Memory". This error is popped-up by the G2 installer, not Windows itself, and occurs instantly after I click the final "Install" button, having just selected the folder in which to install the game. I have attempted to mitigate the issue by running the program in compatibility modes (all of them) both as a user, administrator and through the Vista Super-Administrator account. I've tried swapping out my memory (removing the flash and running solely onboard, changing onboard from the present 2GB Corsair XMS2 to 2GB of Crucial Ballistix, all run in dual channel mode) and closing off all other running tasks. At no point did my onboard monitor indicate that I was ever utilizing more than forty percent of my memory, even when I'd cut the virtual down to 1GB and was running just 2GB on the motherboard.
Suffice to say, I'm stumped. Any aid that might be lent would be vastly appreciated...

I can't really help you on this error - but if you have your old XP disk you might want to consider a data disk along with a dual boot OS disk. That way games are visible to both operating systems. It will certainly install under XP and might run under Vista but you'll have a fallback.

That's my plan anyway. Betting everything on Vista, especially 64 bit seems like a big gamble for backward compatibility.

No, I don't have a XP disk at all. I built my current computer from the ground up, installing Vista cleanly. My old computer, a Compaq Presario that ran Millennium prior to upgrading to XP, has long since been scrapped for parts and sold.
I'm willing to pick up a XP install disk and dual boot my computer, however, if at all possible, I'd like to avoid that cost and work with what I have. This is the first true "gaming" rig I've ever owned and I'd love to get it working properly. To date, I've not had any issues with installing or, for the most part, even playing games, though I've run almost one-hundred unique titles, including emulated games with ZSNES, VisualBoy Advance and Dosbox, even older games such as Fallout and Baldur's Gate. In short, Vista hasn't given me any of the much-lamented woes spoken of online. It's stable, user-friendly and, in certain ways, better than XP.
As I said, I'll pick up a copy of XP if necessary, but I'd like to try everything else possible before taking that route. Thanks for chiming in, just the same.

You won't be able to run programs on the other OS even if you did dual boot. Of course you could set up a gaming only OS using tinyXP.

I'm racking my brain coz we ran into this error before, but damn if I can remember the exact cause or cure. As I recall it was something to do with G2 seeing too much memory on install(winblows does not have a memory message for too much, so Insufficent pops up instead). Try pulling out a stick leaving 1GB total. Then after it installs you can add your memory back in.........but seems like you still have to do a .ini edit. And damn if I can remember it. Screwit, give it a shot. Maybe me ole brames will start working long enough to remember lol.

Well, here's hoping you come up with whatever solution you found before, Uriziel, as I just attempted to install the game using the method you suggested (removing all memory but 1 GB). I had to cut down a lot of Vista's aesthetic extras to get the OS up and running, yet, unfortunately, it didn't make a difference when it came to Gothic 2. The game simply refuses to install on Vista.
Thanks anyways, mate, I appreciate it...

Did you guys search at WoG and in the JoWooD forum? You´re probably not the first who tries G2 on Vista.

Aye, that I did. JoWood forums turned up nothing at all, while the World of Gothic forums haven't returned anything in English (as I recall, there was a reply to another post on the WoG website concerning this same subject that referenced some archived solution that I was unable to access).
I'll search again later this evening. If you chance across anything I'd appreciate a note. Thanks...

The only thing I found on WoG that may be relevant is this thread where a user managed to install Gothic 2 on Vista home premium 32 bit using Win2000 compatibility mode. (I don't know if it helps you, since you have 64-bit Vista and you say you tried all compatibility modes...)
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=220639
Maybe try to contact one of their moderators, WernerTWC, who has a Technical help thread there?
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=92547
(There is also a technical help thread in German part of the forum, but it doesn't seem to mention any insufficient memory error on Vista...)

I think you are going to get another impassable barrier even if you can get it to start the install.........Vista 64 forbids unsigned drivers....period. If Bill don't like it, you can't use it.

Back
Top Bottom