Good Old Games - "Good New Games"

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The CD Projekt conference also produced news for GOG, as they look to add new games in the future. The press release:
Newer games to be added to catalog as the DRM-free digital distributor sets its sights on being the second largest independent digital distributor on the 'Net

(WARSAW, POLAND -- 17 November 2011) GOG.com, the DRM-free digital distributor with a difference, announced its plans for 2012 and 2013 today, stating that it while it will continue to add classic titles to its catalog it is also pursuing newer titles, it seeks to continue its impressive growth rate over the next two years, and looking for exclusive release opportunities with certain developers.

Speaking to a room of investors and journalists, Managing Director Guillaume Rambourg stated, "GOG.com has been performing very well the last three years, as we've mentioned previously both at CD Projekt conferences and at venues like the London Games Conference last week. We have an audacious plan for the the next two years to continue GOG.com's success story, and that depends on three things.

"First, we will be adding newer games into the catalog in 2012. Traditionally, GOG.com has looked for great classics that are three years old or older. We will continue to add classic games, of course, but we are actively working to sign newer titles now. Of course, these new titles will have to come at a new, higher price point, but our key focus will always be on the same core values that have made GOG.com great so far: completely DRM-free games, flat prices everywhere in the world, and extra content and goodies for our fantastic customers.

"Second, the consistent growth that GOG.com has had since we launched in 2008 has been a great success story. We've been profitable since our first month, and the fact that we've come from nowhere to bring over a million classic gamers to our website every month and over six million games downloaded proves that gamers want an alternative to the usual digital distributors. We want to continue this growth, and we have a plan for this: more than 400 products in our catalog by the end of 2012, combined with new partners, more franchises, and continued improvements to make GOG.com a better website will help us achieve this goal.

"Finally, we want to work closely with ambitious developers and independent publishers who feel a kinship with that 'good old spirit' that GOG.com embodies. Thanks to the commercial success of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, more and more people realize that our values are universal. They are coming to GOG and asking if we can carry their titles. We’ve made GOG.com the destination for classic PC games, but now is the time to take this to the next level and emerge as the best alternative digital distribution platform for all PC games.”
More information.

I will always buy the DRM free version if available, even if it costs a little more. When I bought The Witcher 2 from GoG earlier this year, I was wondering if they would ever start selling other more recent titles.

Awsome news, can't wait.

If GOG get new DRM-free games I'm a buyer.

Sounds great! Though I am not a regular gamer any more, I will always prefer a DRM free solution. Plus, since I have been happy with GoG's performance in the past, I will gladly purchase new games from them.

I'm not so sure that this is good news for me. There are a some classics I want them to add (Like Emperor of the Fading Suns) and now that might not happen. Their core business is classic games. Getting the occasional new game is alright but this new move I see as some what cautionary. So I was more like hmmmmmm instead of yipeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I'm not so sure that this is good news for me. There are a some classics I want them to add (Like Emperor of the Fading Suns) and now that might not happen. Their core business is classic games. Getting the occasional new game is alright but this new move I see as some what cautionary. So I was more like hmmmmmm instead of yipeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I agree with you.

If I can get newer games through GoG instead of Steam then sign me up. I much prefer being able to download a game.

They did say they will still pursue classic games, but the poll they did a few months back must have shown them that their customers would like newer games from them as well as old ones. There were a few questions on it that specifically asked if I would like to buy newer games from GoG. Of course I said YES!

Fantastic news. GOG is a great company and I'm glad that they're adding newer games to the lineup. I, also, was wondering about this very thing when I purchased the Witcher 2 from them when it went on pre-order.

I fully believe them when they say that they will continue to add older games so I'm not worried there in the slightest.

Good luck GOG!

GOG is pretty much best gameshop on the net - they are the golden standard of hot it should be done - so this is amazing news.

While I generally agree that this can be an improvement, there is a potential grain of salt for me:

Up to now the games in GoG are either very good or at least have a kind of cult status, even if being flawed. So you can try nearly every game and have an interesting experience.

If they accept new games they will not be able to prevent mediocre or streamlined games from getting in, because if they sell they sell...

And I wouldn't want to wade through games like Dragon Age 2 or Oblivion there in order to find the good ones...

While I generally agree that this can be an improvement, there is a potential grain of salt for me:

Up to now the games in GoG are either very good or at least have a kind of cult status, even if being flawed. So you can try nearly every game and have an interesting experience.

If they accept new games they will not be able to prevent mediocre or streamlined games from getting in, because if they sell they sell…

And I wouldn't want to wade through games like Dragon Age 2 or Oblivion there in order to find the good ones…

I don't like half the games currently on GOG.com so that's hardly an argument for being "affraid" of the future when they add new games, but that's just my take on it.

I do like the way the make games workable again on modern Windows machines again, the DRM free part is just a nice bonus on the side :) I will certainly keep an eye on them and their releases.

If they were to go totally overboard with new games, I'd have a concern, but I'm not expecting that. Honestly, I was wondering when they might run out of "good old games." Do they start including "mediocre old games" or "bad old games?" (Arguably, as they sell Master of Orion 3, they are already doing that...)

Besides, anything that was recent when they first started is "old" by now, so eventually time helps 'em out... ;)

I suspect they won't get a ton of brand-new releases due to the DRM requirements. But I expect they could get a bunch of $30+ "bargain bin" year-old releases, which would be fine with me. These days I'm rarely getting AAA games when they are brand new, anyway. I'm probably not even gonna get a chance to play Skyrim until Christmas.

That's very interesting. Companies don't seem to care so much about DRM once the "game of the year" editions have been out for a month or two. Before that, though... I'm thinking these will be more like "Good Almost New Games". GANG?

At the same price point I would definitely buy from GANG over Steam. Maybe even for a few dollars more. Most folks, though, seem to want all their games managed by Steam so I'm guessing CD Projekt is actually going to have to sell for less than Steam. That will NOT be easy. Steam has been selling a lot of games at a loss, I think, to get people into the habit of using their service.

Back
Top Bottom