The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Don't get me started talking about the downfall of Metallica. They should have hung it up for good when Newsted left, and even before that they hadn't done anything really worthwhile in almost a decade.

They're still one of the greatest metal bands ever though, just based on their first five albums. 'Master of Puppets' is what got me into heavy music in the first place. That and 'And Justice for All' remain two of my all time favorite albums.

Yep, the black album was their last gasp imo, it also started to show their turn to more mainstream audiences for me (despite liking it quite a bit)…

Seeing Moonspell or Paradise Lost mentioned always reminds me of Tiamat and The Gathering (and vice versa), somehow all four fall into the same ballpark for me, even though they all have quite distinct sound…

No coincidence there, I practically grew up with the ensemble: Paradise Lost, Moonspell, Tiamat, My dying Bride,Anathema,The Gathering,3rd and The Mortal and to a lesser extent Theatre of Tragedy (they lost it a bit soon). All almost equally important to me. Never stopped listening to their stuff (have the discogs of the first 6)…

In trying mostly to post things that goths would like I guess I should have posted Tiamat's Brighter than the sun But I was trying (and failing ;) ) not to clog the thread myself..

Probably redundant, but since there´s a slight chance you haven´t listened to these, I can´t resist the urge recommending Still Life and Blackwater Park because that´s Opeth at their best in my ears.
I have everything from Opeth ;) There are days at work that I just put a huge playlist with all their albums on shuffle and listen through it until it stops… Their best is between Blackwater Park and Watershed for me but I gravitate towards the later these days. I also love their raw candlelight years though, despite the elements that really make this excellent band stand out, being still at an embryonic stage…

How do you feel about their latest btw?

Foetus is new to me (you said Waits so I had to click :) ), interesting…

Last edited:
Just listening to this: Lordi's 2006 ESC Winning Song. Sonny absolutely loves the whole CD, but he still thinks the track's name was 'Ork Ork Hallelujah' :D

Oh, the Black album. I never was into Metallica (not much into Trash, anyway), but I got the CD from my former work mates when I left all those years ago.
Love Tiamat up to 'Wildhoney', but after that Mr. Edlund became too gothy for my taste.

Wildhoney was a very important album for those formative years… Give their latest a chance if you find the time its very good (but yeah gothy) i.e.: Raining dead Angels

Bel Canto - Shimmering, Warm & Bright (1992)
"Progressively" poppy and, well, shimmering, warm and bright.
A pretty diverse set of songs.
Fans of Cocteau Twins or Dead Can Dance should find this enjoyable (if they haven´t already :))…

Huge DcD fan but I must admit not being too much into the scene (the medieval/Early music connection on Aion brought me to them and then I got and liked everything they did). I like Cocteau twins though (only have four calendar cafe though for now)

Something a bit tenuously related but worthy of a listen (well more than that for me ;) )

Death in june: What ends when the symbols shatter, Death is the martyr of beauty

Current 93: Lucifer over London, All the pretty little horsies

And just because I feel bad not having posted Christian death yet: Face, Sick of love
(Have the original Lps btw ;) )

Okay, hurls, let's take this over! Anarchy! :D

I don't remember liking Air Formation, but that track was quite nice. Will have to do a little research. Tanx. I've mentioned before that "For Love" was my introduction to the Waze of the Gaze, so I'll never complain about seeing that video another time.

A little variety, a sampler platter if you will:

"Gun" by Voyager One

"Idyllwild" by Trembling Blue Stars

"Velvet" by Snow in Mexico

Something a bit tenuously related but worthy of a listen (well more than that for me ;) )

Death in june: What ends when the symbols shatter, Death is the martyr of beauty

Current 93: Lucifer over London, All the pretty little horsies

Nice - its great to see mention of Death in June and Current 93 on here. I went through a heavy "dark / apocalyptic folk" phase several years ago. Current 93 is still one of my all-time favorites. David Tibet's visionary lyrics are fascinating and Michael Cashmore's backing music is some of the most beautiful I've heard. "Lucifer over London" is a favorite of mine. Also, from the brilliant Thunder Perfect Mind album:

Current 93 - Rosy Star Tears from Heaven - which includes one of the creepiest demonic voices ever.

And their rendition of the old english ballad Tam Lin is sublime:
Current 93 - Tamlin

To add some more to the festival of Gothicy music - I think this kind of fits:

Lycia - Ionia

As far as apocalyptic folk goes, I really like Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio. Last time I saw them was last summer I think. My guts still tremble from the incredible bass.

They have some great atmospheric tracks. My sister adores them and she is not even that much into dark/goth as I am, Which reminds me of something unrelated, but still dark, she recently pushed on me (I'll post as I have a feeling someone here might like it): Psyclon 9: Parasitic .Were did we go wrong with this kid :lol:

As far as apocalyptic folk goes, I really like Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio. Last time I saw them was last summer I think. My guts still tremble from the incredible bass.

That was very good, added to the list (need to dig more)!

I must admit I was not even aware of the apocalyptic folk tag for this particular scene (I would not mind seeing more good ones from you or Myrkrel if you have them please ;) )…

I must admit I was not even aware of the apocalyptic folk tag for this particular scene (I would not mind seeing more good ones from you or Myrkrel if you have them please ;) )…

I found there are a few genre names that get used for this scene - dark folk, neofolk, folk-noir, etc. So I don't think apocalyptic folk is a consistently used term - but it describes a lot of Current 93 perfectly as their lyrics are actually apocalyptic. The wikipedia article on Neofolk has a reasonable overview of the genre and some associated bands.

If you add in Sol Invictus along with C93 and Death in June you have the three cornerstones / pioneers of the genre. I'm not super familiar with Sol Invictus' output but here are a few things I like from them:

From the "In a Garden Green" album:
Sol Invictus - Europa (instrumental mostly but awesome atmosphere)
Sol Invictus - Come the Morning
Sol Invictus - Ave Maria

From "Death of the West"
Sol Invictus - Kneel to the Cross

Most of their discography is on Spotify - so if you have access to that you can check more of their stuff out.

Of the Wand and the Moon is a great dark-folk project - heavily inspired by Death In June's sound.

Of the Wand and the Moon - Lost in Emptiness

Its been a while since I've been immersed in that scene so my memory is a bit hazy - but I'll try to think of some more good ones.

… Opeth …
How do you feel about their latest btw?
Meh, in short :).
I´m not much fond of it pretty much for the same reasons I´m not much fond of Watershed and all these reasons pertain to songwriting, not general "sound".
On both albums I´ve found a lot of harmonic/melodic elements rather uninspired/tired, transitions between segments often unnecessarily abrupt/random/lazy (something a lot of their early material suffered from as well), ideas underdeveloped. I´ve felt a distinct sense of directionlessness throughout both albums. Doesn´t mean I think they´re bad, but neither touches their output from My Arms, Your Hears - Ghost Reveries period in my book.
What I see as lazy approach to transitions is particularly surprising to me, considering how skillfully this element was usually handled on Still Life or Blackwater Park.

Foetus is new to me (you said Waits so I had to click :) ), interesting…
Here´s one song with a bit more NIN-y vibes and one as a fun bonus:
Pigswill
Satan Place

Also, Tenhi - Maaäet (2006), to jump a bit on the recent neofolk-y bandwagon :).
Vähäinen violetissa - Lithe in Lilac
Kuoppa - Depth
Rannalta haettu - From the Shore

Now for something cool and unposted, I guess :).
Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms (1970)
Chimacum Rain
Hey, Who Really Cares?
Parallelograms
Morning Colors
Folky, fragile, sometimes "psychedelic" and, well, beautiful :).
Some Joni Mitchell or Tori Amos vibes on this one.
Great album.

Last edited:
If you add in Sol Invictus along with C93 and Death in June you have the three cornerstones / pioneers of the genre
Of the Wand and the Moon is a great dark-folk project - heavily inspired by Death In June's sound.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks Myrkrel, this a mostly virgin territory for me!
(other than DiJ and current of course).

I am somewhat surprised to see Empyrium (with which I am keenly familiar with) in that list though! Never made the connection with DiJ and Current 93 in my mind. I mean you might as well chuck Arcana in there (i.e We Rise Above) and call it a day ;)

Meh, in short :).
I´m not much fond of it pretty much for the same reasons I´m not much fond of Watershed and all these reasons pertain to songwriting, not general "sound".
On both albums I´ve found a lot of harmonic/melodic elements rather uninspired/tired, transitions between segments often unnecessarily abrupt/random/lazy (something a lot of their early material suffered from as well), ideas underdeveloped. I´ve felt a distinct sense of directionlessness throughout both albums. Doesn´t mean I think they´re bad, but neither touches their output from My Arms, Your Hears - Ghost Reveries period in my book.
What I see as lazy approach to transitions is particularly surprising to me, considering how skillfully this element was usually handled on Still Life or Blackwater Park.

I'll agree with the period you mention as the most consistently good in terms of compositions and also the combining of the raw and brutal with the progressive and the melodic that is what makes their music irresistible to me.

I'll probably also agree that in becoming more "progressive" (and perhaps trying too much on that front?) their music lost something of its cohesion and that tight (and even massive at times) sound/feel it had in my equally favorite Ghost reveries… I just can't agree on the meh on Wathershed ;) It had some great ideas and some of my favorite pieces of their total output (porcelain heart,Hessian peel,Heir apparent etc) even if it is perhaps not exactly even as a whole…

The last one though,I am not exactly ready to give my final verdict on that one.. But I got it a couple of months and only listened to it a couple of times (and constantly forget to rip it for the macbook) and I am afraid that speaks volumes… Got to give it its chance though.

Now for something cool and unposted, I guess :).
Linda Perhacs -…

Ah yes, have heard most of that.. Strange lady, but in a good way…

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks Myrkrel, this a mostly virgin territory for me!
(other than DiJ and current of course).

I am somewhat surprised to see Empyrium (with which I am keenly familiar with) in that list though! Never made the connection with DiJ and Current 93 in my mind. I mean you might as well chuck Arcana in there (i.e We Rise Above) and call it a day ;)
No problem glad to be of some help!

Yeah there are some debatable entries on that wikipedia list - the likes of Empyrium and Agalloch have a lot of neofolk elements but don't quite fit the category in the strictest sense when you consider all of their work.

I'll second the Tenhi recommendation DeepO made - I can't believe I forgot to mention them as they are one of my favorites! I'm particularly fond of the Kauan and Vare albums but all of their stuff is brilliant.

I'll second the Tenhi recommendation DeepO made - I can't believe I forgot to mention them as they are one of my favorites! I'm particularly fond of the Kauan and Vare albums but all of their stuff is brilliant.

Yep, listening to it now, very good.

I just can't agree on the meh on Wathershed ;)
As expected :).
Though, for what it´s worth, I forgot to add that the problems I have with both records are more pronounced on Heritage (therefore Watershed > Heritage in my book).

Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms (1970)
Chimacum Rain
Hey, Who Really Cares?
Parallelograms
Morning Colors
Folky, fragile, sometimes "psychedelic" and, well, beautiful :).
Some Joni Mitchell or Tori Amos vibes on this one.
Great album.
That is lovely stuff - thanks for posting it. I have a particular weakness for that kind of classic 60-70s folk with great female vocals.

I went through a psychedelic folk / wyrd folk phase around the same time I was really into neofolk. In a way, that is where many of the roots of neofolk are found.

Here is something in a similar vein that I love - truly haunting, beautiful stuff:
Trees - The Garden of Jane Delawney

The new album by Kate Bush is very … meditative. And experimental. In my ears, it seems to consist to 3/4 of piano (the instrument) and piano (the "loudness" in terms of musics).

"50 words for snow" is not something that is called "easy listening".

The texts, however, were something I liked very much.

I finally got this and listened to it. On the first playthrough it was very mesmerizing and engaging, even though as Alrik said a lot of it is just piano, voice, AND very quiet ambient background sounds. The piano is flawless at times (as her voice). Definitely a winner. You know it's good when you pullup into the driveway without remembering the drive home except for the music. :)

Last edited:
For long driving I love to listen to Mike Oldfield's "Incantations" - but I haven't done it for years now. And "Incantations" also isn't ... "easy listening".

Back
Top Bottom