The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Stat tomes give a permanent boost to your stats. They occasionally pop up as quest loot, magically show up on the auction house all the damn time (my conspiracy theory, particularly given the way any bid is countered within minutes, is that Turbine is putting a lot of those tomes up for auction as a method of pulling plat out of circulation), or can be purchased with turbine points (real money).

With 17DEX, you can get the entire two weapon fighting chain. I'd have to do a little more digging than I can do from work to get you a solid answer.

There's a wave of us in the level 6-8 range right now (a bunch of TR's, and some of us have additional toons in that range right now). You actually could solo to that level fairly quickly and join in.

TWF is a Feat selection with pre-requisites. I like rogues, but they work better in a group than solo IMO, because their best attack is their Sneak attack which only works when someone else has the aggro.

Most of us try to have a few chars at various levels so we can team up with other guildies. I currently have levels 4,7, 10, 12 and 20. You can usually group with someone who is 2 levels above or below you without suffering an XP penalty. This may be dependant on the quest level as well.

Alright, this is what I got about the Enhancement Pass. Bear with me, and remember, this is all subject to change, disemboweling, or being eaten by a grue.

1 - UI will be altered to a tabbed interface of some sort. Each tab will have a different "tree" of enhancements. Selecting enhancements in a tree will lock you into that tree. You can have three PrE trees and the racial one.

2 - You will no longer be restricted to a single class PrE... you could, theoretically, take AA and Tempest on a Ranger.

3 - PrEs are getting overhauled, with many feat requirements being lost, and everything moving to enhancements. All PrEs will gain a capstone, earned by spending 41 points into that PrE's tree. Rather than buying the pre-reqs then buying the PrE, you will gain PrE benefits at certain amounts of points spent into that PrE tree.

Right now, it will cost 30 points for the current tier 3 PrEs. 41 for the Pre capstone. So you could, technically, spend 71 AP and get a capstoned Pre and a second tier III.

You can have only three PrE lines at one time. Technically, you chould see III/III/I stuff, or II/II/II or whatever.

4 - In general, enhancements are being changed where needed to make them more desirable.

5 - In general, enhancement costs are being reduced.

6 - Races are getting racial PrEs. Note that the racial PrE takes up one of the three PrE slots just like a class PrE.

Warforged - Stalwart Defender - Many are arguing to change this to Kensai or Occult Slayer. Both because they prefer not to deal with WF tanks in the endgame, and because (my reasoning) they want to give them something unique.

Dwarf - Stalwart Defender - Awesome.

Elf - AA - Duh

Drow - Tempest - Also awesome. Tempest Divine Avenger FvSs anyone?

Half-Orc - Ravager - Understandable, fits, but unknown as obviously Ravager is not in-game yet.

Halfling - Assassin - Doesn't really fit, but awesome regardless. Some argument for making it Acrobat instead, and beefing Acrobat up some.

Human - Any - Literally, they get to pick one of any class' PrEs as their racial. Making them kings and queens of odd-ball builds. One of the builds mentioned was taking Radiant Servant, at least to Tier II, on a Paladin; I would probably play a Paladin like that, maybe even TR Rachail back into Pally to try that. Radiant Defender anyone?

Half-Elf - Any - Possibly based on which Dilettante feat you select. In Mirys' case, that would open up Purple Dragon Knight (?), Stalward Defender, or Kensai. Brialle or Fireflash would be offered Defender of Syberis, Hunter of the Dead, or Knight of the Chalice. Aerii would pick Angel of Vengeance, as an effective +2 to DCs, Spell Pen, and a should cannon would be awesome an Air Savant. Stacking bonuses to Fire and Untyped spells too?

7 - Dragonmarks may get folded into 1 feat, and enhancements to the stronger marks, as well as extra options. Possibly additional powers, or use regeneration. Also opening enhancements up which boost their capabilities, with the ones like Jorasco Healing Marks (devotion line) or Half-Elven Lyrandar marks (Electrical damage, for Call Lightning Storm... Air Savant Bard? Air Savant Paladin?)

8 - Some feats may also get changed or removed. Improved Fortification, which renders you useless and unable to be healed by divine means, was mentioned as one of the sucky options being changed.

All in all, it's a lot. It looks like the traditional 12/6/2 or other deep splits are going to be significantly affected, as well as Fireflash's own 16/2/2 split.

One issue I have is that right now, there is no general class tab. Ranger Favored Enemy enhancements, for example, are shoe-horned into Deepwood Sniper. While a completed DS might be attractive to AA Rangers for boosting their dps, Favored Enemies are a core class feature. This also means that Sorcerers won't be able to be a generalist, as they cannot take damage lines from more than 2 or 3. If their second PrE comes, Acolyte of Skin, then they'll be forced to choose that and two Savant lines, and not have a third damage type. Aerii has no less than 5; Electric, Cold, Fire, Sonic, and Force/Untyped. Paladin Auras will be segregated into one PrE or another, which most Paladins want to bump them as much as possible, even if they're expensive now.

While it should be interesting to see what new builds pop up, how will they transition existing toons? Does everyone get their enhancements reset and have to rebuild? That would be a first class mess.

Yeah, it could really mess up a lot of people if they reset all our enhancements as they've done before. We'll have to wait and see.

Right now, forced enhancement reset.

I've had a few ideas about builds pop in my head:

Half-elven Bard Air Savant SpellSinger. Dragonmarked, used Dragonmarks to open up Air Savant, and the SLAs for damage spells. Also boosts the few Bardic damage spells, which are Sonic.

Drow Favored Soul Divine Tempest. TWF Shortswords, basically no to-hit penalty, Tempest III + capstone and Divine Avenger I at least for full BaB. Possibly AoV II for boost to spell damage, effective +2 to hit, and shoulder cannon.

Half-Elven Favored Soul Kensai Angel. Mirys with Kensai with a Falchion focus. Possibly with Divine Avenger I for full BaB, if it is changed to support non-FvS weapons instead of just their granted weapons.

Human or Half-elf Paladin Radiant Defender, 18/2. Radiant Servant II for Aura and Bursts, Defender of Syberis for main PrE, maybe a tier or two of Hunter of the Dead for the Healing Amp. Human would be easier to do, as Helf would require a hefty investment into WIS... which Paladins cannot afford. Considerable self-healing making it quite a durable character. Easily change DoS to KotC if desired for DPS instead.

Drow Tempest Warchanter/Spell Singer. WC/SSII, Tempest III.

Yes, Tempest will be good enough to make me consider rolling Drow.

Dte, you need to seriously hit the guild chest. It's getting full, with several good arcane spell-scrolls in there. I also left a CON 3 belt, ML7, and a Necromancy Focus bracer, which will give you 1 more DC on any necro spells.

Looking in the guild list, Kerriatao, Wouldii, and Sherrille are all 19. We might try to get them to cap while Corwin is out. If those get capped, Rhogu, Murianni, and Mariannelle are also close.

Stat tomes give a permanent boost to your stats. They occasionally pop up as quest loot, magically show up on the auction house all the damn time (my conspiracy theory, particularly given the way any bid is countered within minutes, is that Turbine is putting a lot of those tomes up for auction as a method of pulling plat out of circulation), or can be purchased with turbine points (real money).

You can also get some by trading in a few Purified Eberron Shards (?) in the Crafting Hall at one of the two merchants there. 4 shards for a +1 tome and 9 shards for a +2 tome, I think. If I remember correctly.

I think that this is the source of these tomes showing up at the auction house : People buy +2 ones instead of +1 ones and sell the "lesser ones" instead. That's my theory.

Right now, there is a discount on these tomes going on. In the DDO shop, that is. I don't know how long it lasts.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Purified_Eberron_Dragonshard_Fragment

TWF is a Feat selection with pre-requisites. I like rogues, but they work better in a group than solo IMO, because their best attack is their Sneak attack which only works when someone else has the aggro.

Or has cast a cloud on the victim …

Dte, you need to seriously hit the guild chest. It's getting full, with several good arcane spell-scrolls in there. I also left a CON 3 belt, ML7, and a Necromancy Focus bracer, which will give you 1 more DC on any necro spells.

Yes. I left two staffs or sceptres, or what these things are, there, too.

If no-one takes them, then I'll take them out again and sell them, or let them lie there for my planned magic user.

And last : How does this Dragon-Mark thing work ? I've been speaking to Lockania long ago, who directed me to Fred … but apart from that, nothing else happened … Was there once planned to incorporate a quest line which leads into the own character/toon getting a Dragon Mark, or what ?

Fred can change feats, but apart from that, nothing else, as it seems to me …

The only way I see someone getting a Dragon Mark is much later by choosing a feat ?

Last edited:
I cleaned the chest out early this week. I left some scrolls behind that I didn't need (I remember some trap the soul ones near the top of the list, for example). I think the last item on the list when I cleaned it out was a scroll of stinking cloud, so anything after that would be new to me. We've got quite a few wands in there that I really don't need and they can't be torn apart for essences. They've been in there for a long time (I remember a knock and a detect secret doors). I propose that Alrik take them and sell them since he's probably got the least plat of our most active guildies.

Probably won't be able to get on tonight, so I'll make sure to take a peek before the session tomorrow.

I was so proud the other day. I actually used Wouldii to craft some useful items for Klubbir. Made a +2 ghost touch great club of lesser undead bane. Not a world beater, but it's ML7 so he can actually use it and I figure that should be a useful combo as he starts working thru Necro and Delera. I've got shards of everbright and maiming ready so I'll put together an ooze/rusty beater soon. Looked into making a wizardry/power/magi weapon for Phuury, but for now my crafting skills can't compete with what he can get on the auction house. After all the mindless grinding, it was nice to actually craft a useful item.

Finally, I wouldn't mind capping Wouldii if we decide to do that (he needs ~150k XP to cap). Was giving some thought to doing another healbot (the guild can never have enough healers), but tweaking the build to add something new, maybe some hopped-up summoning (yeah, I know, but it would be different at least). Didn't think a "double cleric" would make much sense, so I wouldn't TR Bot into that build, not to mention that I think it's a good idea for the guild to always have a lvl20 healer available.

Last edited:
Lordy….how about when they make this big change and I have to redo all that crap I just give azraelck or Dte or Jm my password and let you sort all my toons out for me. ;)

Running our 18/19/20 toons so can cap the last few sounds good to me. That way we are not leaving anyone behind. I will be able to play as it turns out….(don't want to yell about insurance companies here but………:furious: :shakefist::cm:)Anyway see you tomorrow.

Crappppppp so much alien talk in just one page :S

Returning to n00bish issues, I suppose rogue is not actually noob-friendly right? What class would be (except cleric) but at the same time fun to play? I still lean towards rogue but I'll probably screw things up at some point…

I really want to get into this game and have some fair knowledge of D&D (played BG 2 and Nwn series…) but for some reason this seems difficult…

As long as you don't want to play an arcane caster (wizard, sorceror), I'd agree with cm's advice from several posts ago to go with the "taste test" approach. The easiest character to play is a fighter, assuming you're OK with using cleric hirelings to keep you patched up. I think the "best" character for someone wanting to run solo is a tempest ranger (strength-based two weapon melee). You get melee ability, you get some of the basic buff spells and some healing spells, you have enough skill points to pick up useful adventuring skills like spot and search, you have good ranged ability with manyshot.

Wouldii is my tempest ranger. He did a lot of solo work until level 14 or so and then started running with the guild pretty regularly. Azraelck actually had a better ranger build taking a splash of another class, if you're open to a more complex build.

I didn't think rogue was that complex to run when I did RhoGu. If that's what you feel like playing, go with it.

Don't feel bad about the "alien talk". I've been playing the game for almost 2 years now and this enhancement overhaul has my head spinning.

Best advice I can give you is to use the character planner to develop your build. "Window shopping" for feats and enhancements simply does not work. I ended up deleting a level 9 character when I first started playing because I window shopped the build and ended up with a total disaster. I figured my experience with NWN was sufficient to put something together. I was wrong.

Whats fun to play really depends on your own playstyle. For example, I don't find Monks, Paladins, or it appears Bards fun to play. Yet I loved playing Favored soul (and have two), Sorcerer, Ranger, and Fighter. Peter likes playing Paladins only. Jm plays any damn thing. Dte likes playing heavy melee like Fighter and Barbarian, as does CM.

I would suggest rolling a Fighter, as they are easier to recover from a bad feat choice or sub-par build than most others, and are simpler to play. Barbarians are even simpler, but are locked into their feat choices right now. You need Power Attack and Cleave for your PrE, the THF feats (3 of them) for dps, Improved Critical:Slashing for dps, and leaves 1 feat for Toughness or Stunning Blow or Improved sunder, all of which are very useful and valuable on a Barbarian. Human can let you fit in two of them, but they are tight on feats.

Dte - Cleric PL adds a extra turn or two, and +1 to Conjuration DCs. But I would wait, as you have two lowbies leveling, a couple in the mid levels, and still have two high levels not at cap.

Also, you can craft useful effects even with lower levels. I've got Blindness Ward Goggles of Battle Skill; +2 to-hit, and Blindness Ward. You can later craft +4 to-hit, which is my plan, but that's level 80 arcane. Holy is level 37 Divine, so it's relatively easy to get a solid prefix for dps. About 75% of the time, Holy works. Tack on Righteousness for another +2 to-hit and damage on a +5 weapon, and it's pretty solid. Regular Bane effects are also useful, 2d6 damage for specific enemy types. This is all stuff I can craft on Ijii right now.

RE: Dragonmarks

Dragonmarks are a chain of three feats which give your character a clicky spell ability with limited uses. They are taken as normal feats. IMO right now they are not worth taking, as they have very limited used, in some cases no use whatsoever, and cost three feats, which only a Fighter, Artificer, and maybe Monk and Wizard can afford.

However, if the change goes through making them 1 feat for the whole tree, and you simply get the higher level abilities through enhancements, then that may change.

Right now, I can see taking the Dragonmark of Healing on a Halfling Fighter, as it's extra healing, if not spectacular. In a strong group, my original Halfling Wind Monk used those marks to solo-heal several quests.

Dragonmark of Passage on a Fighter, because not needing to slot Striding is nice, and Ddoor and eventually Teleport even is nice as well, though more a convenience than a powerful ability.

Sentinel Dragonmarks if you run epics and have a Epic Chimera's Fang you want to use.

If you really want to invest into a crafting-bot, Human Artificer with the Marks of Making get heavy bonuses to crafting, but are useless unless you expect to constantly run with Warforged. Even then, you have recon.

All other marks are less than useful, either due to a lack of duration of the buffs and limited uses, like the elven mark, or due to just plain sucking, like the dwarven mark.

Last edited:
Lordy….how about when they make this big change and I have to redo all that crap I just give azraelck or Dte or Jm my password and let you sort all my toons out for me. ;)
Shouldn't be too bad. You've got 75 characters, but they're all fighters so we'll only have to generate one recipe and then apply it 75 times. ;)

@ bloodlover: Soloing a rogue is a little harder but you can do one of two things at least up to higher levels. I sometimes set my cleric on fight mode when just clearing an area for slayers. Turn it off if they are taking too much damage. That way they draw the agro and I get the backstab bonus that often is the kill hit.

You can spend some turbine points and get a fighter then have a healer as well. I put a few goldseals in the bank and used them just for quests even if they were below level. The game however is not kind and soloing higher levels becomes very hard as a pure rogue.

@ Dte: :cm: Hey, I have a rogue, cleric, and monk. Only 50 are fighters. :p

Whats fun to play really depends on your own playstyle. For example, I don't find Monks, Paladins, or it appears Bards fun to play. Yet I loved playing Favored soul (and have two), Sorcerer, Ranger, and Fighter. Peter likes playing Paladins only, even if he's not running a paladin. Jm plays any damn thing. Dte likes playing heavy melee like Fighter and Barbarian, as does CM. Corwin likes to play a soul stone.
Fixed those for you. ;)

:) Good job Dte.......by the way if anyone can log on skype later I really need to test and be sure it is fixed on my end now. If not I will..........well I won't talk like that here but you all know....

Back
Top Bottom