Dungeon Siege 3 - Preview @ CVG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CVG has a general preview of Dungeon Siege 3 after briefly playing a melee fighter:
A close-range fighter, Lucas has a few skills to make him flexible. Every hero has three combat stances, but they're not all the same. For example, Lucas has the one-handed weapon position, which leaves a limb free to hold a shield, and the damage-dealing two-handed option.
Finally, he can focus on healing. You'll swap quickly between these in even the shortest battle, giving Dungeon Siege III a much more action-packed feel than the previous game.
It's no God Of War, but it's a happy mile away from the genre's 'click on a guy until he dies' roots.
Each of the stances has a set of special powers. Your range will grow, but early on, Lucas has access to a one-handed skill called Shield Bash, an instant attack that stuns an enemy and helps with tackling mobs.
In two-handed mode, he can use a charging attack to close the distance between himself and a ranged fighter. All these moves take up energy, which is quickly restored by landing non-special attacks on enemies. It's a system designed to keep you fighting, and the regular foes with magical auras are great at breaking up any routine you might find yourself falling into, forcing you to develop new strategies.
More information.

As a side-note, Obsidian has just had preview showings for the press at their offices recently so there should be a new bunch of previews coming out soon (I think this one is based off of an earlier build and preview). I believe someone said the embargo ends on the 22nd.

I'm not big on clicky-clicky action RPGs like Diablo or Titan Quest honestly, so the more this deviates from that the happier I will be.

Sorry Dungeon Siege fans.

The first game was pretty nice, especially multi-player. The graphics were beautiful, the gameplay was smooth and entertaining, and the creatures were very original, not the typical orc/elf/bandit fantasy crap.

I found the SP part of DS1 ultimatively boring.

Although I must admit that it had a few nice ideas …

What impressed me most of the whole game (and I fear this tells quite a lot about how I look at it) was the graphical representation of the "disassembling" of the last and end boss … I've never seen it in any other game this way … To me, this was the perfect graphical representation of the "banning" of a kind of demon or so … I'd wish more games would ue rather this way of a graphical representation of "disassembling" of a spirit-creature than anything else ...

Back
Top Bottom