Elder Scrolls Online - Interview with Matt Firor

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamerhub.tv has a short interview with Matt Firor about The Elder Scrolls Online.

Producer Matt Firor discusses the open beta and what's new in Elder Scrolls Online in this exclusive interview.
More information.

Why is it that elder scrolls has always been one of the premier PLAYER VS ENVIRONMENT games in all of RPG land and this pinhead's idea of group combat is PvP? If I could reach thru the internet and slap him I would.

Screw PvP in MMORPGs. It sucks. It's stupid. It's pointless. Everybody thinks they can do such an amazing job with it yet it always ends up the same - unbalanced, sucking, meaningless, pointless, exploited, fake, lame, etc.

Leave PvP to genres that do it well - there are plenty of them. The core of RPGs is PvE. Nobody ever got together to play PnP D&D to kill each other. DUDE, I backstab you with my dagger of infiniate uber +20 and you are dead a MOFO! Shortest D&D session ever. In the many years I played PnP D&D nobody ever even remotely considered killing each other. MMOs are like the evolution of PnP RPGing...except somewhere along the way some psychotic wanna be homicidal maniac thought it'd be a good idea for people in MMOs to kill each other for no reason other than they can.

PvP is in an MMO is a stupid idea - especially when your company is a god of PvE content. Your millions of fans have been playing single player PvE for 15 years, so you decide to go PvP heavy and don't even have group PvE content sorted you yet? Morons.

You already do single player excellently - no need to put it online if it's just going to be single player with morons chatting and crushing immersion and doing meaningless fake PvP. If you're not doing online to take the PvE game to greater heights, like GROUPING, like playing skyrim-like content with friends, then why did you even bother making this game?

A couple of rich kids got together, got high, and said, dude, wouldn't it be cool if we could take our skyrim characters and have, like, these huge PvP battles like DAoC on steroids, that have nothing at all to do with elder scrolls, but we could, like, get high, and like, gib some nubs? DUDE!?!!!!?! DUDE< MY LEGENDARY DAEDRIC TWO HANDER PWNT YOU!

You have to be on drugs to take one of the best PvE RPG franchises of all time and think turning it into a PvP game is a good idea.

This game, like Neverwinter, shouldn't even have PvP. PvP in NW is an insult to D&D. PvP in ES is an insult to their own game franchise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please start pounding SOE for info on EQNext since it's looking like TESO is going to be a waste of time and space.

Why is it that elder scrolls has always been one of the premier PLAYER VS ENVIRONMENT games in all of RPG land and this pinhead's idea of group combat is PvP? If I could reach thru the internet and slap him I would.

Screw PvP in MMORPGs. It sucks. It's stupid. It's pointless. Everybody thinks they can do such an amazing job with it yet it always ends up the same - unbalanced, sucking, meaningless, pointless, exploited, fake, lame, etc.

Leave PvP to genres that do it well - there are plenty of them. The core of RPGs is PvE. Nobody ever got together to play PnP D&D to kill each other. DUDE, I backstab you with my dagger of infiniate uber +20 and you are dead a MOFO! Shortest D&D session ever. In the many years I played PnP D&D nobody ever even remotely considered killing each other. MMOs are like the evolution of PnP RPGing…except somewhere along the way some psychotic wanna be homicidal maniac thought it'd be a good idea for people in MMOs to kill each other for no reason other than they can.

PvP is in an MMO is a stupid idea - especially when your company is a god of PvE content. Your millions of fans have been playing single player PvE for 15 years, so you decide to go PvP heavy and don't even have group PvE content sorted you yet? Morons.

You already do single player excellently - no need to put it online if it's just going to be single player with morons chatting and crushing immersion and doing meaningless fake PvP. If you're not doing online to take the PvE game to greater heights, like GROUPING, like playing skyrim-like content with friends, then why did you even bother making this game?

A couple of rich kids got together, got high, and said, dude, wouldn't it be cool if we could take our skyrim characters and have, like, these huge PvP battles like DAoC on steroids, that have nothing at all to do with elder scrolls, but we could, like, get high, and like, gib some nubs? DUDE!?!!!!?! DUDE< MY LEGENDARY DAEDRIC TWO HANDER PWNT YOU!

You have to be on drugs to take one of the best PvE RPG franchises of all time and think turning it into a PvP game is a good idea.

This game, like Neverwinter, shouldn't even have PvP. PvP in NW is an insult to D&D. PvP in ES is an insult to their own game franchise.

————————————————————————————————————-

Please start pounding SOE for info on EQNext since it's looking like TESO is going to be a waste of time and space.

Speaking as a huge fan of PvP in MMOs (and in D&D - which always had PvP and started out as a PvP game) - and as someone who considers it among the most vital of features - I'm glad developers aren't as closed-minded as the person behind that quote :)

To be honest, PvP could work out well in ESO given the factions and setting. What worries me is balancing. PvP tends to lead to a mess in terms of class and skill balance, which is often solved by making classes and skills generic or giving everyone similar tools. I can't stand that.

To be honest, PvP could work out well in ESO given the factions and setting. What worries me is balancing. PvP tends to lead to a mess in terms of class and skill balance, which is often solved by making classes and skills generic or giving everyone similar tools. I can't stand that.

I think the issues of PvP balance tend to be blown out of proportion - and I see it more as a perception issue than a real issue.

At least for the MMOs I've played where PvP is a large part of it.

Then again, I think the PvP structure of most mainstream MMOs is horrible - and is more akin to a "game-within-a-game" sports match than anything resembling war or real combat.

If more games had war-like territorial PvP - then individual balance of classes would be less of an issue.

So, games like WoW and SWtOR are shooting themselves in the foot by focusing on sports instead of open world PvP. Sports absolutely need to be balanced - which is why they tend to sacrifice something in PvE for that to happen.

Personally, I think all abilities should simply have two potential varieties - one for PvP and one for PvE. Functionally identical - but with tweaking of balance for both avenues of gameplay.

I know some people don't really like that - but I think it's such a minor problem in the grand scheme of things.

But blaming PvP in its entirety - because developers are incompetent is a bit silly. Lots of people hate PvP on principle - without really thinking about it.

I don't like PvP for the most part which is because I don't really like fighting other people in mmorpgs. There are some exceptions like the PvP in Atlantica Online is pretty fun.

Back
Top Bottom