Fallout 3 - 10th Anniversary Perk Winners

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Bethsoft has announced the winners of the recent of Fallout 10th Anniversary Contest to design a perk for Fallout 3:
After over 17,000 entries, here are your winners: one grand prize winner, 11 runners up (listed in order), and five entries randomly selected to win a prize just for entering.
It was not an easy decision. Almost every entry was worthy and it took a lot of work to read them all, and yes, someone did. One thing we’ve learned through this contest is that the spirit of Fallout is alive and well. Congrats to everyone who entered, we hope it was as much fun for you as it was for us.
So how did we pick? About half the perks we’ve already created for the game were submitted, so if we already thought of it, it was cut. About a thousand entries were called “Berserk”, so those didn’t win. Any perk that referenced something outside of the Fallout world, like the one hundred “McGyver” entries didn’t make it. So what do the winners all have in common? They have great names and great ideas. Some are just hilarious (Crazy Eye); some use the game systems in new ways. But most of all, they are perks we’d want to play.
Our winner, “Grim Reaper’s Sprint,” is the epitome of that; it’s elegant and simple, yet turns one of the game’s dynamics around to create a new experience. It is the perk we most wanted to pick as players.
Grand Prize WinnerGrim Reaper's Sprint
Everytime you kill an opponent, all your action points are automatically restored.

Submitted by: Marc-Andre Deslongchamps
Hit the link for the full list.
More information.

Hmm, I don't know - sounds like there could be some balancing issues with that one? If this was implemented into F1 or F2 I think the PC could pretty much gun his way through almost every battle alone without much trouble...

It not making sense is a valid criticism.

It not being balanced is a bit of an odd assertion to make seeing as we don't know how APs are balancing in Fallout 3. Consider the fact that APs are just fatigue, this sounds about right for high-level characters.

IMO "Liar", "Kleptomaniac" and "Money Talks" are the best suggested perks. Wouldn't mind seeing them in the game, either.

Way too overpowered, plus don't forget vats (or whatever the hell they call their bullettime) and precision aim.
It does make complete sense though bethesda picked this as it seems to be their style of design of simplifcation over substance.

Fallout 3 is not going to be like the old Fallouts so I don't know how it's possible to say it's over-powered or not. It's not like the Gifted trait wasn't over-powered in Fallout for instance.

Great Cleave makes sense in its own way -- spin in a circle and every rat in melee range. It becomes overpowered in NWN because you can easily combine multiple feats/properties (keen, critical strike, elemental damage, and critical multipliers for everything) to hit for 100+ damage, allowing you to cleave darn near anything under 10 HD.

This perk's problem is that it will apply to ranged weapons. As long as you can keep hitting and killing, you'll be able to shoot and kill everything on the screen. And cleave requires one-hit kills. This one sounds like it would work even if you have to shoot several times to kill, so long as you have enough APs to shoot enough times. And if APs can be used for movement (this is still unclear to me), you could potentially walk through the entire dungeon and kill everything without leaving VATS.

It wouldn't be so bad if the perk only restored 1 or 2 APs, then you'd still have a net loss per kill. But it would still amout to a +X% boost to APs, which is very unbalancing in a real turn-based AP system.

But "turn-based" hardly describes this system. I'm not sure there even is a concept for "end of turn" here.

I also thought grim reapers cheat seems out of place. Unless they have some awful nasty and hard to kill besties out there. If not then it will be one big bloodfest where you don't even need one turn in their VATS system to kill a horde of monsters.

Back
Top Bottom