Technology preview of Windows 8

I'm not looking forward to it. I'll stick with windows 7. If you love tablets GUI's and touch screens then you will love it,

I have taken the step over to tablets completely and won't go back to a regular laptop. The freedom to have a touchscreen separated from the keyboard is great. But I do wan't my windows for many reasons, such as having access to all the software i commonly use, complete access to filesharing and the network and gaming capacity (including running emulators).

That said, Windows 7 is clunky for tablets. They might need something like this, but unless it's very backwards compatible, I might stick to Windows 7 even on the tablet.
That said, I see no appeal to use metro on a desktop.

I'm not looking forward to Win8. I will probably not upgrade to it. Between employees, motorists, and the general public who can't stop texting, talking, or chatting over one social network or another, I've worked up a pretty big 'disklike' (to put it mildly) over the whole mobile phone thing.

I don't need a win8 mobile-phone-GUI-desktop to remind me of this loathing.

Microsoft seems to routinely keep messing up every other version of Windows they release. My guess is that that's a result of the confidence their monopoly encourages in combination with the necessity of experimentation. Therefore I would not be surprised if they end up making a horrible mess in win8 and they do seem to be particularly confused. I didn't care to follow the development at all but I assume they changed plans unexpectedly at some point and rushed it so as not to stay behind. I doubt that those of us who want to play it safe will have a reason not to wait for the next version instead. As for the tablets, I rather hope that Android will start catching up.

My guess is that that's a result of the confidence their monopoly encourages in combination with the necessity of experimentation. Therefore I would not be surprised if they end up making a horrible mess in win8 and they do seem to be particularly confused.
I think they're beginning to feel the squeeze. Apple (and Android) taking over their old consumers, Google taking their business clients. :) In my view, Google is their biggest threat as businesses account for most of their money. With Google Apps, companies can dispend with a lot of crap like office, exchange, servers and application management etc.

Didn't anyone notice the hillarious problem he encounters, haha?

Yeah but have you read Google's privacy policy recently. I'm sure all companies want to host their most private and secure documents in the cloud with google. Yes I know they have more enterprise friendly hosting but those actually cost money (and not exactly cheap either). I think it is cheaper than MS at the moment but I'm sure that will change if they ever become top dog.

But can't say I'm interested in Windows 8 yet either. Again maybe for a tablet but not for my desktop. The Windows key requirement to swap back and forth seems obscure. I hardly ever use it myself and only sometimes hate it when it bumps me out of a game when it press it.

Well, if you pay I am sure google can be more flexible with their policy......

Not going to use Windows 8 on my laptop. I guess Windows 8 will be the ME/VISTA of this age and maybe Windows 9 will be a good follow up again for normal computers. It might be fine on a mobile device though (I have no experience with any Windows phone versions).

I downloaded it and stuck it on a computer at work. I do not like the Metro stuff on a desktop at all. I will not be getting this, either for home or for work. It may be nice on a tablet but I cannot test that.

I'm an IT Manager for a medium size manufacturer. Theres no way we could upgrade to this. We have alot of legacy programs for different purposes (mostly for the machines that they run) plus the majority of the people here are not very computer literate so they would revolt with a totally new UI. It took them forever to get used to ribbons.

Win 7 is working great, I'm content to wait and see how Win 9 turns out.

We use the paid version of Google Apps. For a measly $50 per user per year its a super deal for what it does. I absolutely love it. I keep trying to get the company to use more parts of it besides email, docs and maps but at least I got rid of that damn Exchange server we had.

Is there any traditional UI (of let's say Win XP which I'm still using) left in W8 ?

As far as I understand if you want you can get windows 8 to look like windows 7…… still Microsoft has never made two good windows in a row. I think it's probably because as someone already said, they release an experimental version first, get feedback and earn a little money from early adopters / curious, and do it good for the next one.

Just like they did with 95, ME, Vista, and so on.

Great, unbiased video, thank you.

This basically confirms my initial impression of Windows 8 on PC's from a few months back - it's completely out of place! Why would someone want to have two different interfaces running simultaneously, especially when one of those would make the Skyrim UI look functional and streamlined by comparison? 24" 27" 30" monitors chock full of gigantic buttons and unnecessary scrolling.

It's a seemingly good tablet/smartphone OS… but Microsoft deserves to lose gigantic sums of money with their pigheaded attempts at pushing this on to PC users.

They were pushing PC users already with their Office package. In the beginning, there were moans about the MS Office UI. But they succeeded, seemingly.

Internal MS is going back to COM:
WinRT is essentially a COM-based API, although relying on an enhanced COM. Because of its COM-like basis, WinRT allows relatively easy interfacing from multiple languages, just as COM does, but it's essentially an unmanaged, native API.

A big kick in the arse for the .NET-Team.

If you are going native use C++, Delphi or even VB6 (yes - it is supported for the lifetime of Windows 8 again).

For the rest you have to use Javascript and HTML5.

Silverlight is dead.

- I never liked .NET :)

Sounds bad.

And that VB6 thing really surprises me. I thought they were determined to stomp it out ?

Visual Basic 6: Old Soldiers Never Die…

Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows 8

There is simply too many VB6 business critical software still in use.
Native, easy, fast development. MS really should have released VB7 classic - this would be a 6 million seller.

I agree. There are always a few decisions of Microsoft I just can't understand.

Back
Top Bottom