BioWare - It's Official: the BioDocs Retire

So… They create game company, make a bunch of money making good games, sell out to mega company, make even more money making average games, retire with a wad of cash. American dream, I guess.

I think anyone in any country would enjoy financial freedom.

Not sure there is anything else to say but 'thanks for the great games' and 'good luck.'

So I guess BioWare is now official dead. R.I.P BioWare.

I find it interesting how the last few days had a lot of BioWare related news: GOG D&D sales, Project Eternity Kickstarter that wish to create an Infinity Engine-like game, DA3 official announcement and now the BioDocs retiring (did I miss any?).

So… They create game company, make a bunch of money making good games, sell out to mega company, make even more money making average games, retire with a wad of cash.

American dream, I guess.

Perhaps, but they are CANADIAN, not American!! :) There is a difference!!!!

Sounded more to me like it was Ray who made it clear that he would leave the industry, not Greg. Greg's wording left the door open: "Some of you will be curious what I’ll be doing next, and I can state that I’m not going to be working in games for a while, and there’s a strong possibility that I won’t be back." Ray's didn't, really.

As I said years ago, the selling of Bioware to EA was a clear move by them to divest themselves and prepare for retirement. Good luck to them, though they probably don't need it. :)

Maybe "North American dream"?

You know, after I typed that I realized they were Canadian. But this will suffice!

…and I don't hold it against them for running out the door with a bunch of money. I am and always will be disappointed that they 'joined' Electronic Arts. They had to know what it would mean. That said, I don't think this is the end of BioWare at all. Sometimes you need new blood. DA3, so far, sounds promising and the future hinted Mass Effect game will continue the story of my favorite universe, probably ever.

I do wish them the best. It's been a fun ride!

My recollection is that the sale to EA was not entirely voluntary. IIRC there was a private investor in Bioware who had the legal, contractual right to reclaim his investment from the company, and who chose to do so. This put the company in the position of needing to raise a significant amount of money to continue operations and the sale to EA was the best option they could find. Once the private investor decided to pull his money out the option of 'continuing as it was' was no longer on the table.

In any event, I choose to remember the BioDocs for the great games they made. BG, BGII, ToB, KOTOR... I got a lot of pleasure even out of the later games: I'm by no means sorry I played Jade Empire or Mass Effect, and I'm now just finishing up my first playthrough of DAO. Even factoring in ME2, ME3 and DA2, their overall track record was way positive.

So long, guys, and thanks for the memories.

My recollection is that the sale to EA was not entirely voluntary.

I'm sure we don't know the inside story but when they (voluntarily) sold BioWare to Elevation Partners - a private equity firm co-founded by Ricciatello, I'm pretty sure they knew where it was going. Think about it..don't you?

Anyway, done is done.

Thanks for the great games, even if they were a while back. :salute:

It's almost exactly 5 years since the sale from Elevation to EA.

There's probably some stipulation somewhere. I wonder if this was the earliest time they could get out.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO... oh wait, do you think they might sneak off and make a "spirtual successor" to Jade Empire?

I shall refrain from making any "Abandon ship" jokes, and just wish them luck. A few less genuine games, does not change the fact they had some real gems in their belt too.

This is potentially a good thing for the RPG community if they still have the passion. Certainly isn't a negative at this point. If they are like most executives in my company (a large start up) this is only the beginning for them. They will now hire themselves out to other companies (hopefully in the rpg arena) to run divisions or just be on the board.

I don't know how well they did financially but that doesn't stop many executives for going after more and after all they may actually like the challenge and don't want a lazy retirement. As long as they don't follow Curt Shillings example (for the record I do respect him both as player and failed executive) they should probably be just fine.

Despite Ray Muzyka statement that he gave notice 6 mos. ago and has been working on transition during that time, there is a glaring lack of any announcement who will be running the show in the future. That doesn't mesh with any reasonable picture of a 6 month transition. Also significant is the official statement by both doctors that they will not be working in the field of video games, with Zeschuck stating that he's "not going to be working in games for a while."

My reading; Muzyka and Zuschuk have been negotiating the terms and conditions of their retirement for the past six months. They each got a golden parachute which included a "no compete" requirement extending for several years. They may have been essentially pushed out, particularly given the timing of Muzyka's 'decision to leave', six months ago, following the less than stellar launch of ME3. This is supported by the naming of no successor. The two docs apparently had no say, and have no say, in naming of a successor. Nevertheless, the apparent "no compete" implications of the docs' announcements should also mean that each doc will rake in a heap of money in consideration of their leaving and agreeing not to work in the video game field for a time certain. One would also expect that both docs will publicly 'bless' the successor whenever that person is named.

The announcement of DA3 details and related ME3 announcements over the past few days generally can be seen as meaning that other management at BioWare wasn't in the loop on the retirement negotiations; and are now rushing to make announcements seeking to assure everyone of 'business as usual' upon the departure of the docs. Nevertheless the year plus timing before release of DA3 also indicates there is room for an about face on DA3.

Honestly, BioWare has had a dismal 2012. Hopefully a bright, talented, well connected, and energetic successor can turn things around. Nevertheless, it's clear that the successor will be determined and appointed by EA.

I wish everyone at BioWare all the best for the future. Sure would be nice if this works out positively for all, including us RPG gamers.

__

Last edited:
I'm not sure I get the conspiracy you've outlined, RPGFool. Matt Bromberg looks after BioWare Austin and Aaryn Flynn looks after Edmonton and Montreal. In terms of the Label, which was always a publishing function, of course EA will name a replacement. The game announcements are to reassure the public that it is business as usual it's what I would do in their position.

Nothing to indicate management "wasn't in the loop".

Back
Top Bottom