Welcome SatansPuppetMaster,

I hope one of these tips helps:

1) Set the Anti-Aliasing option of your ATI-driver to <application managed>
Catalyst A.I. <disabled>
Anisotropic Filtering <application managed>
Adaptive Anti-Aliasing <disabled>
Enable Geometry Instancing
Enable DXT Texture Formats

2) Make a new empty directory named _compiledImage inside your Gothic 3 "Data" folder, and a new empty directory named _Intern inside this one.
For instance:
C:\program files\Gothic III\Data\_compiledImage\_Intern

3) Disable DoF (Depth of Field)

Thanks alot HiddenX!!!
i tried for houres to solve this problem and what u offered helped me =]
but i used only part 1 of your post
and i did this thing with the directory and its not filled... there is nothing in it after i play for like.. 2 hours.
Sould I do anything else for this to work?
b.t.w
I have
Radeon 1950Pro with the latest driver
1 gb memory
and an Intel e6400
i don't know what tweaks to use.. but i run the game on the highest details.
Thank you!

Just wanted to say I am having good luck with ATI 612 drivers,

Also is there a way to turn off shadows completly, specificly torch and light spell shadows.
I have turned off shadows in the ini but can't seem to get the shadows off during selflighting.

Thanks. :)

tweaking guide

GOTHIC 3-HOW TO MAKE GOTHIC 3 LOOK AND PERFORM BETTER GUIDE

Visual Tweaks:
To increase grass draw distance:

- VegetationAdmin.ViewRange=3500.0

Raise this value to 6500.0 to double the distance grass is rendered. You can increase it even further or lower it a bit to improve performance.

To increase NPC and creature draw distance:

- Entity.ROI=4000.0

Raise this value to 8000.0 to double the distance NPCs and creatures are rendered.

To increase item and object draw distance (on high details):

- ObjectDetails.fScreenObjectDistanceCulling_High=0. 008
- ObjectDetails.fProcessingRangeFadeOutRange_High=30 0.0
- ObjectDetails.fRangedBaseLoDOffset_High=300.0

Change the first value to 0.016
Change the second value to 600.0
Change the second value to 5000.0

To move the blur effect further away:

- Render.DOFStart=1000.0
- Render.DOFEnd=8000.0

Raise the first value to 4000.0
Raise the second value to 12000.0

To increase the distance the ground textures switch from high to low resolution:

- DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High=10000.0
- DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_Medium=8000.0
- DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_Low=6000.0

Raise the first value to 12000.0
Raise the second value to 10000.0
Raise the third value to 8000.0

These can be further further increased if you want. Just make sure that the difference between the three is equal to one another (2000.0 in this case)or you may get graphical glitches.

Untested values:

- DistanceLow.fFarClippingPlaneLowPolyMesh_High=1000 00.0
- DistanceLow.fFarClippingPlaneLowPolyMesh_Medium=45 000.0
- DistanceLow.fFarClippingPlaneLowPolyMesh_Low=20000 .0

Performance Tweaks:
Less stuttering/lag:

- Cache.SizeImage=128000000

Double this value to 256000000

This is supposed to work for people with 2GB of ram but it may be worth testing even if you have less than 2GB. It seems to make the game stutter/lag a little less when loadind new zones. It might not have an impact on everyone though.

ResourceCache.u32SpeedTreeMaxMemUsage_High=100000

If you use high settings it is highly reccomended that you change the above value by adding a 0 in the end, because this may be the reason of many crashes while saving and/or after extended play time.
The correct value would be this:

ResourceCache.u32SpeedTreeMaxMemUsage_High=1000000

For some with lower end cards such as myself, found these to help with performance:

(Default 0 change to -1)
PostprocessingAdmin.ActiveEffect=-1

(Defaults are UltraHigh)
Render.MeshLoDQuality=Normal
Render.AnimationLoDQuality=Normal
Render.ImageLoDQuality=Normal
Render.DisableMeshLoDQualityFragmentString=lowpoly

(Default on mine was 2)
LightingType=1 (can try 0 as well, not a major FPS gain here, but little)

Hopefully this helps someone else as well.

3500+
6800 Ultra
1Gb DDR400 RAM

GE3.INI tweaks

Changed:
Cache.SizeSound=80000000
To:
Cache.SizeSound=40000000

Changed:
Shader.EnableTreeShadows=true
To:
Shader.EnableTreeShadows=false

Changed:
Shader.EnableStaticShadows=true
To:
Shader.EnableStaticShadows=false

Changed:
Shader.EnableDetailShadows=true
To:
Shader.EnableDetailShadows=false

ResourceCache.u32SpeedTreeMaxMemUsage_High=100000
TO:
ResourceCache.u32SpeedTreeMaxMemUsage_High=1000000

using 9.1.3.1 driver atm
just rejigged my config and my stuttering is almost gone but my average fps seems to have decreased. Much more fun though!

I think the cache settings are the most important, especially if you only have 1GB like me
my final cache settings in the ge3.ini:

Cache.SizeImage=128000000
Cache.SizeMaterial=40000000
Cache.SizeMesh=90000000
Cache.SizeSound=40000000
Cache.SizeCollisionMesh=40000000
Cache.SizeAnimation=40000000
Cache.SizeSpeedTree=10000000

Cache.SizeImage=256000000
gave less movement stutter.

Thanks to anohter 1Gb guy I'm using

Cache.SizeMaterial=57000000
Cache.SizeMesh=18000000
Cache.SizeSound=21000000
Cache.SizeCollisionMesh=16000000
Cache.SizeAnimation=30000000

Do this for more Detail-Geometry

Change

Render.GlobalVisualLoDFactor=0.01

To

Render.GlobalVisualLoDFactor=1.00

It is IgnoreUserOptions=true for the options in the ini to take effect.

In the actual game options under details-custom, set the object detail to high. I'm pretty sure that will fix your problem. Alternatively you can change IgnoreUserOptions=true to IgnoreUserOptions=false in your ini, and then, and only then, will you be able to override the settings you make in your game with the settings you make in your ini file. Note that this only applies to the settings you can actually control in your game menu, like object detail, which I believe is a dumbed down and ironically more confusing way to say "how far away certain plants and various other seemingly random little stuff fade into view". I may be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. Hope it helps!
THIS HELPS!
More virtual RAM

The goal is to create more virtual RAM memory by increasing the page file system, so click on Open your Control Pannel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance -> Settings -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory. Since Windows XP has trouble managing more than 4 GB RAM, be it real or virtual, change and increase it by the difference between your RAM size and 4 GB. From now on, every time Gothic 3 leaks memory needing more and more, it will use the hard drive for swap, thus the speed is determined by the hard drive. For 1 GB RAM, you need 3 GB of virtual memory so click "Custom Size" and put 3072 in the initial size and the max size boxes. Remember to click Set and restart the computer. You will see a decrease in lag, less broken landscape, no “out of memory” dialogue boxes, no stack dumps or crashing to desktop. Should it have 4 GB of RAM or more, remove the page file altogether since it will speed the computer by a certain amount. In addition, should the game crash, restart the computer before playing again. This effectively clears any data in your RAM so you can start again clear and effective. You can also use the lowering cache method:
Cache.SizeMaterial=57000000
Cache.SizeMesh=18000000
Cache.SizeSound=21000000

Performance tweaks

In the driver settings, AntiAliasing and Anisotropic Filtering should be either switched off or Application Controlled. Be sure to download and install the latest display driver. Deactivate the Depth of Field-Feature in the options menu when using a Shader 2.0-card, since it will make your game unplayable otherwise, unless it crashes it altogether.

For less stuttering, find “Cache.SizeImage=128000000” and double this value to 256000000. It seems to make the game lag less when loading new zones.

To increase grass draw distance find “VegetationAdmin.ViewRange=3500.0” and raise this value to 6500.0. It will effectively double the distance grass is rendered at. You can further increase the viewing distance or lower it to improve performance. Also, increase NPC and creature draw distance by finding “Entity.ROI=4000.0” and drop this value to 2000.0 to lower the distance NPCs and creatures are rendered.

Increase item and object draw distance on high details
- ObjectDetails.fScreenObjectDistanceCulling_High=0. 008
- ObjectDetails.fProcessingRangeFadeOutRange_High=30 0.0
- ObjectDetails.fRangedBaseLoDOffset_High=300.0
Change values to 0.016, 600.0 and 5000.0 respectively.

In order to move the blur effect further away, find “Render.DOFStart=1000.0” and raise the first value to 4000.0, then find “Render.DOFEnd=8000.0” and raise the second value to 12000.0. The opposite works for better performance.

Increase the distance the ground textures switch from high to low resolution:
- DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High=10000.0
- DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_Medium=8000.0
- DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_Low=6000.0

ANOTHER RAIN OF TWEAK(BEST)

TEST PC:
Atholon64 3000+ @1.9Ghz
2x512 Mb DDR @420Mhz
GF6600GT 256Mb Pci-e (@540Mhz, Memory @1.05Ghz
Forceware 93.71 Drivers.
Patch 1.08 instaled.

Set ingame settings:
Distance (high detail) to HIGH
Distance (low detail) to HIGH
Resourche cache to MEDIUM
Object detail to MEDIUM
Shader quality to 2.0
Texture quality to MEDIUM
Texture filtering to ANISOTROPIC
Vegetation quality to LOW

Shadow quality to OFF
Post processing to OFF

.INI TWEAKS
Frame rate average,minimum and maximum during the recording:

Framerate with the original unedited ge3.ini file:
Avg: 17.347 – Min: 3 – Max: 32
Avg: 15.689 – Min: 0 – Max: 27
Avg: 16.117 – Min: 0 – Max: 29

With the tweaked ge3.ini file:
Avg: 23.933 – Min:17 – Max:32
Avg: 23.060 – Min:14 – Max: 33
Avg: 23.933 – Min:14 – Max: 33

These are that I had active from the ge3.ini file:

PostprocessingAdmin.ActiveEffect=-1

Render.MeshLoDQuality=Normal
Render.AnimationLoDQuality=Normal
Render.ImageLoDQuality=Normal

Cache.SizeMesh=57000000
Cache.SizeSound=18000000
Cache.SizeMateria=21000000

Shader.EnableTreeShadows=false
Shader.EnableStaticShadows=false
Shader.EnableDetailShadows=false

P.S.: This is not my own work,I have collected this tweaks from a loot of forums to help poor people.So,if someone sees its lines do not be mad)And if you can putt it on the other forums.

P.S.: This is not my own work,I have collected this tweaks from a loot of forums to help poor people.So,if someone sees its lines do not be mad)And if you can putt it on the other forums.

It certainly isn't! Most of it is taken from our own Tweaking Guide in the Gothic 3 Wiki.

Judging from the title, a lot came from the thread on the official jowood forum, too (from which some stuff in the wiki was taken as well). No matter, though. :)

I just want to know who is going to come over to my house and apply the 3 page list to my computer for me? :lol:

I just want to thank HiddenX and all here for the guides. I applied a few and game runs great and looks great so far. I do need to do a few more for best performance but you guys are great.

Not sure if this is common knowledge by now as I haven't been following the forums at WoG and JoWood recently but I seem to have bumped into a way to fix graphical issues with the ocean water.

I just reinstalled Gothic III v1.12 recently and started a new game. When I went from Ardea down to the beach, I noticed that the ocean water near the coastline was mostly invisible (white triangular spaces etc). You could see the ocean floor but the water was not rendered correctly or not rendered at all in most places.

Check here...

Screenie 1
Screenie 2

I remembered from the first time I installed Gothic III right after it came out that I had fairly normal (some blockiness but OK) looking water back then so I experimented a little and figured out that if you start a new game, then the water gets displayed correctly. This was reproducible for me. If I wanted to fix the water display then all I needed to do was start a new game. This will work for older saves as well so basically if you get annoyed by the water display then this is the way to go:

- Start up Gothic III
- Load your last save game
- Start a new game from within the game (the game will hang for a moment... give it some time and then confirm with 'yes' if prompted to start from scratch - don't worry, your old save is not affected, of course)
- When the new game starts skip the intro by hitting the 'ESC' key
- As soon as you're in the game (the opening battle), you can immediately go to the menu and load your old save.
- That's it. Your water display should now be fixed and look like this...

Screenie 3

Hope this works for those of you with "broken" water, too! :)

Had a quick browse around this thread but couldn't see much regarding sound so I thought I would ask...is there a way to enable 5.1 speaker setup that actually will work..i only manage to get stereo whether i choose 5.1 or whatever in the options?

Cheers, Roo

Some people say it works with the Dolby 7.1 setting on a 5.1 speaker setup.

Had a quick browse around this thread but couldn't see much regarding sound so I thought I would ask...is there a way to enable 5.1 speaker setup that actually will work..i only manage to get stereo whether i choose 5.1 or whatever in the options?

Cheers, Roo

Doesn't it ask for a restart? I have a 5.1 (from 2001, so quite old) and it works perfectly. I can remember that it asked me for a lot of restarts when I changed the settings in the original menu.

Okay thanks will try a 7.1 setting first...mine didn't ask for any restarts when selecting 5.1 which is odd though..gotta get back to work now will try when i return home..

Thanks, Roo

Well I gave it a shot and still I only get stereo output..this is after trying 7.1, 5.1 etc and restarting gothic 3 a few times...and reinstalling sound drivers (X-FI).
Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers, Roo

I give up, I have installed all the latest patches, modified ini, lowered shadow setting to low, texture quality to medium and removed all depth of field effects. Read the wiki and made tweaks... and I get a whopping FPS of 5!!!!!!!! I wish this game back to the store!!! I give up.

I have AMD 3700+ and 2 GB memory, and geforce 7800 GTX, I can run bioshock and NWN2, and Oblivion very well even with pretty high settings. This game can't even run on low settings!

Strange. It should run fluidly at max. details.

Back
Top Bottom