What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Star Trek 2 (2013)

Or whatever the title is.

The movie starts on Nibiru. Hey, let's see how did they made the 12th planet from sumerian legends, yknow, the one covered with gold and stuff that visits our solar system every 3.600 years, as we've all read in Zecharia Stitchin's translations.
Um… You saying not all of us bought his book? Not a chance!
Excuse me. This is not Nibiru. Primitive culture, red plants? Who wrote that screenplay?

Okay, let's proceed. Look it's Mickey Smith, what's he doing in another sci-fi flick? He's one of my favorites timetravel sidewkicks! Um, I mean, Noel Clarke. WTF? He commited a suicide?
Who casted HIM for a suicidal character?

Right… Next… Scotty relieved and getting drunk? And Bones NOT being drunk all the time? Screenplay or casting, who's to blame?

Yadda yadda yadda.
Star Trek 2 is obviously ment for those who are new to the genre, who never watched old series and movies, and especially for those who don't care about misusing existing myths. In the next movie they'll probably have species called Zeus that are octopods.

There's plenty of action, just a lil' bit of humor, great visuals and definetly a stellar performance from Sherlock Holmes who probably took the role because cretin Watson sold his arse to Petr Jackson so he did a sidejob till BBC series shooting continues. Another plus in it is the sound/music.
Spitting on JJ Abrams? With that script noone can make a miracle.

Everything aside, I've actually enjoyed the movie. Honestly I've expected something like underfunded syfy channel crap as they usually do with sequels. But as I've said, you can't make a masterpiece with a bad script, all you can do is a decent sci-fi and that's what the crew made out of this movie. And I can only respect that.

B+

Despicable Me 2 : Very, very fast, but also very, very funny. ;)

Oblivion

If you ask me this was an awsome choice for a title. Why? After being done in with the game of the same title, I've expected here boring and annoying endlessrespawning zombie alien grinder with no story.

What I've got? A light character study, a fresh postnuclearwar story, a touch on (possible) problems with clones, a huge new perspective on manipulation of ppl and not a single boring/annoying scene. Endless respawns? You won't find them in this game movie, once dead, one's dead, not even machines are immortal.

I've heard some say it's scientology movie, sorry folks, I didn't see anything that even resembles any kind of religion in this movie so no, it's not about sects nor is glorification of a sect. It's a pure sci-fi nicely done.

There's however the same old "but".
Stargate. The Independance Day. Clarke's third Odyssey. Even the movie I've talked about on the previous page. I'm really concerned about the trojan horse solutions in every single sci-fi. Why is it impossible to use some other idea?

Simply put, this movie is not a masterpiece. And since the ending didn't solve a certain question, let's hope the sequel will be.
Because instead of Bethesda's Oblivion boredom we got a worth watching entry in the genre:

B+

Iron Man 3

Written a tractate of a text. Deleted.
Guys, is there anything wrong inside this movie? No.
Okay, except you should watch prequels and Avengers movie unless you're a comicworm like me.

A masterpiece.

A

Fast & Furious 6
This is a mild disappointment after the good 5th film. It's still an enjoyable spectacle though. A braindead, very expensive looking rollercoaster. They've completely jumped the shark though. Or rather they've left out the shark and jumped the car, the plane and the tank … 10 times. If you want realism, watch James Bond! It's also ca. 10 minutes too long.
C+

Oblivion
As explained above, Oblivion is an interesting film which gets a bit too much action in the 3rd act. The visuals are brilliant and the actors decent. Far from perfect, but worth watching.
B-

I've been watching on DVD-Bluray This is 40…a horrible, horrible film, if you ask me. It wants to show us life at 40, but does no such things. 50 minutes into the movie, I simply had to stop the film. It was becoming more and more surreal.
Grade: C- or even D.

I've also been watching, again on Bluray DVD, a movie which has gotten very good reviews: Silver Linings Playbook. To me, the movie couldn't decide whether or not ig would tell a romantic love story between a man or a woman or if it rather would tell about the relationsships between a father and his son.

I'll watch Oblivion and Iron Man 3, then…

Last edited:
So was star trek 2 worse than the first, or on par? I liked the first but man on man hearing it would have a mixed up khan in it and after the awful superman reboot, I couldn't risk it.

It's a bit better than the first. Basically Wrath of Khan fed into a Sci-Fi randomizer and filmed with a 150M$ budget. Cumberbatch owns the screen - as always - and Peter Weller is good as Peter Weller - as always. The chicks are hot, the f/x great and Kirk is an idiot. The rest is like the first film.

World War Z
Without the last 30 minutes this movie would have been a flop. The first 90 minutes go like this: Hero finds a story excuse to visit a new location. Until he arrives everything was cool, but 5 minutes after he arrives, a flood of zombies kills everything. Hero is saved in the last second. Repeat. In between he worries about his family, which is enjoying the comfortable safety of the PG rating.
Only in the last 30 minutes, when he arrives at the final location and the perspective shifts from a macro level disaster movie to a micro level horror thriller, some suspense is created. These 30 minutes of direct contact with zombies, on the path to The Solution (tm), is good. The rest is streamlined shaky-cam disaster film, which looks expensive but is unremarkable. Not brutal enough and not personal enough for a zombie film.C- due to the last act.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to mention what classics aren't being remade? I fully expect them all to be rebooted as we speak. Yes, that includes all the recent ones.

"Miami Vice", too ? :p

I wouldn't be surprised :)

They're rebooting Batman again AFAIK - and we just had two separate Supermans in what, 6 years?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom