Gamespot greatest game series of the decade poll.

GuybrushWilco

Pirate Janitor
Has anyone been checking this out? RPGs are quite well represented, I was slightly annoyed that the Hitman series was not on the list. It is heartening to see The Elder Scrolls and Fallout still standing. Right now, Fallout is only about .4% ahead of Assassins Creed.
http://www.gamespot.com/greatest-game-series/?tag=Topslot;Slot3

My vote would likely be for TES, as mundane as it can be at times. Fallout is hardly a series if all you're referencing is 3 and New Vegas. Overall, I'm either older, cynical, and disillusioned, or there really hasn't been much of anything memorable in recent years as far as game franchises go.

On another note, it's silly how they split up the voting like that in some sort of wannabe sports competition pyramid.

Well for FO, I took into consideration 1 through NV, so it's an easy win for me :) FO1 is my second fav RPG of all time, behind only Torment. MGS is great too, but its exclusivity to one or two consoles each generation, has severely limited its reach.

Bad brackets. The almost "ancient" Tomb Raider had no chance at all against the relatively brand-new "Assassin's Greed", as I call it.

It should have been against Max Payne instead.

And Super Mario (ancient, too, plus console-exclusive) had no chance against the currently almost over-hyped Elder Scrolls as well.

Whereas I have NEVER EVER heard of "Viewtiful Joe" and "Fire Emblem".

And, besides, where are The Settlers ???
And Anno ?
And Realms Of Arcania ?

Who is responsible for this mess ?

^No clue about the Settlers and co but you can't argue that the Tomb Raiders have been better than the AC games in this decade with a straight face.

Moreover, have the Mario games been anything more than Nindendo milking a huge cow for far too long? Sorta like the Pokemon and/or Sonic games. As overhyped and simplistic hiking simulators the TES series may be I'd still pick them over the milked Italian any day of the week.

Whereas I have NEVER EVER heard of "Viewtiful Joe" and "Fire Emblem".

Fire Emblem is a console series. Including console games would make the poll rigged if it was done right IMO, as there are so many good - great game series for consoles.

The brackets were done completely at random. I'm not sure where the game list came from - perhaps user votes on their forum or some such.

I was a bit confused when I saw it. Are we supposed to be voting for the best series that happens to have had a game come out in the last ten years? Or are we just voting on the games that have come out in the past ten years? I seriously doubt that subtle difference will matter to most of the voters, though, so I guess it doesn't matter.

It's Gamespot. For that reason alone, it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

None of these lists should ever be taken seriously. All they are is someones opinion, or in this case, a popularity contest.

TES and Mass Effect strike me as viable contenders if we look at the last decade. The Witcher, new Fallout and Risen franchises are also pretty strong. Maybe Kotor if it's young enough. The other franchises I can think of tend to have low points (Gothic IV and Dragon Age II being obvious examples:D) weak enough to tarnish the entire series.

With two of them open world, too.

None of these lists should ever be taken seriously. All they are is someones opinion, or in this case, a popularity contest.

This.

The fact TES has reached where it has is disgraceful. Skyrim only sold so well because of the extensive marketing that occurred ever since it was announced. You couldn't go anywhere a year prior to Skyrim without an ad for it trying to jam its one inch shallow penis down your throat. The marketing wasn't even trying to appeal to RPG gamers either, it was trying to appeal to the best selling game out there which is CoD and it successfully made them covet Skyrim which was (in gameplay too) a game for this audience. I can't blame Bethesda for that (they know where the money is) but that's what this is all about.

This is testament to the gamers of today who would rather play a shallow hold your hands game which gives you no challenge than a game with actual depth to it and a story-line you can influence.

Hopefully GTA wins otherwise we'll never hear the end of TES fanboys declaring it "game of the decade" will we? I don't think GTA deserves to be up there either but at least Rockstar's games have better stories, writing and characters than TES.

Edit:

Oh it won? What a fail. Such is the state of the gaming industry where such a broken shallow game is hailed as being superior over the likes of The Witcher, Dark Souls and original Fallout games. We all know people were voting for Skyrim (its in the comments) and not for the past TES games, the only one of which was remotely decent being Morrowind.

For all of TES's shallowness and imbecilic dialogue, I for one am thankful that Bethesda exists to offer us AAA budget titles with sandbox gameplay. I grow so tired of the linearity of RPGs and can only hope that other studios (beyond the people behind Two Worlds) try to compete with them.

In such a manner, we could one day get open world exploration/discovery/character progression + a game engine not chock full of decade-old bugs as Gamebryo/Creation is + dialogue and choices worthy of mention.

Something funny and kind of related to this poll. I'm now in the predicament of not being able to decide whether to buy GTA5 for my PS3 or the Anthology of TES. Both release this coming monday, and I have to decide until then. Initially I was going to wait on GTA5 until it came to PC, but seeing all the streaming over the net has seriously gotten my appetite wet. So I'm thinking of getting it for the PS3 now, and again when it comes to PC.

I just wonder if the anthology of TES is in some sort of limited edition. Or will I be able to get it next month. What to do ...

Even though I'm not a big fan of the series, I do have to say that GTA V looks impressive. I saw a TV commercial for it last night, and I actually thought it was for the PS4. They must have squeezed every last drop out of the PS3 to get those visuals.

Even though I'm not a big fan of the series, I do have to say that GTA V looks impressive. I saw a TV commercial for it last night, and I actually thought it was for the PS4. They must have squeezed every last drop out of the PS3 to get those visuals.

It's gigantic in scope. The world is just unbelievably huge. They said during development that it's bigger GTA3: San Andreas and Red Dead Redemption put together. And now I believe them. It's supposedly the most expensive game to produce. They estimate it cost around 270 million dollars. I'm not sure if that includes marketing costs. But it's estimated to sell 25 million copies. Now those are some huge expectations.

For all of TES's shallowness and imbecilic dialogue, I for one am thankful that Bethesda exists to offer us AAA budget titles with sandbox gameplay. I grow so tired of the linearity of RPGs and can only hope that other studios (beyond the people behind Two Worlds) try to compete with them.

In such a manner, we could one day get open world exploration/discovery/character progression + a game engine not chock full of decade-old bugs as Gamebryo/Creation is + dialogue and choices worthy of mention.

There are other open world games other than Two Worlds or Gothic. There's Dragon's Dogma which came out last year and does combat, customization and even story better than TES. I'd say Dark Souls is open world too but I think that fits the term "multi-open world" more so than fully open world but it's still non linear and the areas are more worth exploring as they're all unique and feature different rewards and enemies. There's the Divinity series too (especially the first one which is completely open and features an amazing story with excellent PC dialogue and role playing).

There's the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series too. Arcanum. Baldur's Gate series and of course the original Fallout games.

This is excluding the upcoming open world games such as Divinity: Original Sin, Dark Souls 2, Dragon Age; Inquisition, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and Sui Generis and The Witcher 3 (although some are multi-open world, at least four of them are fully open world). Not to mention, we can expect a Dragon's Dogma 2 in the future as it's going to be a series (although who knows if it will come to PC?).

I once yearned for open world games years back but eventually they get boring as they're normally too big with no substance. Games like Arx Fatalis and Dark Souls (which are non-linear but not open world in the sense that you literally can fly around the map) I find to be more rewarding in terms of exploration as areas have more personality, life and you're rewarded for exploring.

Back
Top Bottom