KoA: Reckoning - Interviews @ Joystiq, GamePro

Dhruin

SasqWatch
While the real details are still scarce, Joystiq has a preview-slash-interview on Reckoning with comments from Schilling, Salvatore and Big Huge Games' lead designer, Mark Nelson. Schilling continues to call the game "God of War meets Oblivion" but here's a bit that really caught my eye:
But he does want to say that 38 plans to put something great in the game for both RPG players and action fans. "Curse of the Azure Bonds, which is an SSI Gold Box game, old D&D game. I can remember that storyline like it was yesterday, playing through that. RPG players, that's what we want." Action gamers love pressing buttons for big hack and slash moves that leave them almost hyperventilating with intensity. And Schilling wants to see both thrills in Reckoning: "I've never played a game that had both of those. And that's the game I'm playing, that I see. I see these incredibly deep quests, this incredible combat, and I'm having fun doing both."
Meanwhile, GamePro has separate video interviews with Schilling and Salvatore.
Thanks to Omega for these three.
More information.

The time frame seems rather ambitious; here's hoping that they could carry over almost all of the old work.

So far, Schilling has only talked about his experiences playing MMO's, and I've wondered how deep his experiences run with single-player CRPG's. I'm encouraged to see him name-drop a classic Gold Box game.

I really do get the sense that this may be a truly unique situation where a die-hard gamer gets the idea in his head to go out and make games he loves, much like any indie developer, except this gamer happens to have millions of dollars at his disposal, and he's willing to use it in a niche that we all enjoy. Ya gotta admit, that's kinda exciting.

One big question I have with the whole "God of War meets Oblivion" angle is how much combat will depend on a player's twitch reflexes. This may bring up some of the same issues that Mass Effect struggled with, in terms of merging the action aspect with the stat-based aspect of RPGs. Will the God of War fan be satisfied waiting until he gets a decent weapon or levels his character up to a certain level before he can do cool stuff, and will an Oblivion fan be satisfied if he has to execute a 3-move combo to really amp up the damage?

I enjoyed playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, so I don't mind some well-executed action in my games, but I find that character advancement is the crack cocaine that keeps me coming back to RPGs, and that's what I'll be looking for as this nears closer to release.

Hmm, if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. The closest we ever got to good action mechanics in the kind of RPG they're describing is Gothic 2, yet it seems they're trying to beat Gothic 2 in every possible way. I'll believe that when I see it.

Oh well, even if it doesn't live up to the hype, it can still turn out great.

Nothing ever lives up to the hype. thats why its called hype! I am mildly intrigued, but wary. I know Ken can make great games, but he also has a bent towards the silly and shallow that can ruin things if he runs unchecked. But it is sure an interesting and talented team and an interesting project they have there. I'm quite curious how it will turn out.

Back
Top Bottom