Inquisitor - Review @ Just Adventure

Dhruin

SasqWatch
There's a screenshot-ladden review of Inquisitor at Just Adventure. The rating is 'C' and the author doesn't recommend the game:
All things considered, I can only recommend the game to fans of old-school RPGs who are prepared to deal with unbalanced, highly-challenging gameplay and are okay with the possibility of encountering bugs -- possibly show-stopping ones -- that, as of this writing, will not be fixed. Anyone who does tackle Inquisitor should do so at his/her own risk.
More information.

This reviewer is a real whiner (german: Jammerlappen)

3 days just to kill enough bats to get into the first town?

A game killing bug that would have required him to replay all of act 1?

Hundreds of potions needed for each foray into the wilderness?

Those sound like legitimate complaints to me.

...errrrrrr...........Try reading my review!! :) It took me less than 5 mins to kill all those bats; I found NO game killing bugs (he obviously totally stuffed up somewhere); I took at most 20 potions with me on any foray into the wilderness (where they were rarely needed) or into a dungeon where they usually were needed.

This poor guy needed to have someone hold his little hand while he played!!

I reached the first city in 10 minutes.
I finished the game in 1 month (ca. 140-160 hours play time on normal difficulty)
You need potions, but not hundreds of them for one trip.
Many 'modern' gamers are not able to adjust their gameplay to the challenges of a difficult game - this reviewer is one of them.

OK, sounds like he was dysfunctional if it was so much easier for you. Although, one thing he didn't mention was the difficulty level he played on. Not sure if that would explain the all the differences, but could explain some of them. What difficulty level did you both play on?

Normal difficulty with two henchmen (one henchmen and one henchdog, to be exact).

I played on Normal which is what I always do the first time I play a game, especially if I'm supposed to be reviewing it. I assume that the devs know what they are doing when they designate something as Normal. I believe a review should be written with the average player in mind.

I think it was somehwere around a c+ game, got borring pretty quick. I tried to like it.

I started Inquisitor a few times, but it got lost in the shuffle. It was just bad timing with so many other games being released around the same time. Hopefully I'll have time to give it another try someday.

One of the most disappointing games ever for me. :(

I only made it to level 15 or so before I got bored of "dog on auto-drink potion" combat.

Too much to read too. To me, with story in games, less is more. I can get into character better in a roguelike than the witcher games, for eg.

When I was just a youngling playing Fairy Tale Adventure on amiga I got so into it I'd keep being Julian after I quit out. I remember eating my spaghetti and pretending I was doing it in response to a "Julian was STARVING" message from the game!

All these pages of text are just blahblahblah whatever. Moral grey area, meh. Generic family safe elves? meh.

Dark souls is where its at. WTF was the story there?! Giant worm dude makes you put 3 souls in a pot to open a door so you can go fight the boss and win. I LIKE IT! I'll fill in the blanks with my powerful brain. Make up romances with the female undead shopkeeper.

But, yeah… Inquisitor sucked. :(

I truly liked the game. Yes, it's not easy, yes you can be killed easily by some spells or tougher enemies - but that's the challenge, game requires you to think sometimes and look for solutions on your own, there is heaps of reading, some quests are interesting some are not, some enemies re-spawn, some not, but overall the game has quite a few positive things in it. It's not the best, it's not great, but in my opinion it's definitely enjoyable. I loved the dark medieval setting and got quite a bit of fun out of this game.

For the people that didn't use many potions did that require a lot of standing around waiting for your heath and stamina to regenerate?

For the people that didn't use many potions did that require a lot of standing around waiting for your heath and stamina to regenerate?

Not really - all you need to do is sort of "evenly" distribute points when leveling up - you want to have a balanced hero. You can find a lot of potions anywhere and you can buy heaps of potions as well (and the money is usually not a problem).

Plus there are healing spells; useful if you have mana regeneration working.

Stamina regeneration has the fastest rate (belts, helmets etc' over 40% regen') - mana regen' is normally much slower but stamina can be used to magically top up mana - weapons with life leach abilities will obviously top up health. I had a bow that topped up mana as i killed. I had to change bows often to suit the scenario opponents, i carried five bows at all times.

Followers can consume tons of potions if allowed to go unchecked yet there are spells to protect, top up and slow down the various consumption rates. later in the game, a priest follower will heal you up to max' health automatically as and when required, so you cannot die, this is as well as his own health if commanded not to attack, a true healer follower.

So indeed, by judicious management, the use of potions can be reduced significantly - by using these methods as a solo player, my potions never dropped below half of an inventory page (of the four pages) - proficient Inventory micro-management is an acquired skill not set in the game but of the gamers own ability.

It appears that to Inquisitor players new to its unique style, that the two main obstacles presented by game design intention are 'potion consumption management' and 'monster re-spawn counteraction' - reading text is not a game-play obstacle as it is obviously the main 'game-play storyline progression element - counteracting spells such as slow - poison - disorientation - etc' etc' are all left to the gamers own defensive or counteractive preference.

So disregarding the negative niggles and dislikes which are prevalent in the majority of Inquisitor reviews, there is really little to complain about providing you are a competent RPG gamer and able to learn how to counteract the various obstacles presented by the game.

The reviewer Karla Munger, states -~Engaging/fighting enemies is accomplished by clicking on them repeatedly until either you or they prevail~ - In my game i clicked on them only once per encounter with the timed combat mechanic (that has full function menu control) kicking-in to take over until complete - you can feel the incompetence as she speaks, the air is thick with lack of the knowing and a continuing unawareness.

As to why an incompetent reviewer, unfamiliar with these long established RPG game-play methodologies can make a review completely oblivious to these mentioned factors, goes completely beyond the boundaries of credible reviewing responsibility, it sadly shows that the once artistic state of traditional quality and *Game genre knowledgeable* reviewing with individual flair of engrossing expression..........is fast slipping away.

You put a lot of effort into that post but I disaree there is very little to complain about. Contrary to what you stated, the game does not have a unique style. It uses clasic action rpg mechanics throughout, but tempers it with a ridiculously long regen rate which finds you wasting time waiting for health to replenish.

This is the only game I have played where I can click on the shop keeper and get a new inventory every time, not after a certain amount of time does it change, but right away.

I tried to stay interested in the game but it didn't hold my interest, too much tell not enough show.

Back
Top Bottom