Skyrim - Day 1 Patch, Werewolves, More

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A Day 1 Skyrim patch has been confirmed by Bethsoft community manager Nick Breckon:
Yep. All platforms going to 1.1 by 11/11/11.
(Thanks Blue's).
Over at GameSpy is an article that did have videos of werewolves but Bethsoft has had them removed. They also have news of an interesting quest that was picked up through the British BBFC classification process. Head over if you want to reveal the surprise.
GamingBolt compares Oblivion and Skyrim screens to ask if Bethsoft's art direction has improved and, for a humorous diversion, CountChocula sends in the Skyrim Rap.
More information.

Don't most games these days usually have a Day One patch?

Incidentally, I noticed most of the Oblivion pics in the GamingBolt blog post are modded versions of Oblivion.

Oh gosh, it seems that with Rage a new era of beta testing has begun... WE pay THEM to test their games. Incredible... I really hope that Skyrim will be playable right from the start.

Oh gosh, it seems that with Rage a new era of beta testing has begun… WE pay THEM to test their games. Incredible… I really hope that Skyrim will be playable right from the start.

You're new to gaming, right? Day one patches have been around for years.

seriously— should they stop QA after a game has gone gold?—i would think people would take even less kindly to that lazyiness or arrogance.

is there a copy of the manual anywhere yet as i probably won't get my boxed version from amazon to midday so i might as well delve into it prior?

You're new to gaming, right? Day one patches have been around for years.

Oh, really? Then it's my bad, in 20 years of gaming I rarely patched games, and as far as I know patch were released just few days after the day one...
Sorry, I'll go back playing Load Runner… Ah right, I'm new to gaming, how can I know it?

A day 1 patch (more like 0-day since it is available at launch) is preferable to a day 4 patch fixing the same issues.

Oh, really? Then it's my bad, in 20 years of gaming I rarely patched games, and as far as I know patch were released just few days after the day one…
Sorry, I'll go back playing Load Runner… Ah right, I'm new to gaming, how can I know it?

Patching a game became common place as soon as the internet was widely available to mostly everyone. The first game I ever patched was Privateer 2 and they had to send me the floppy disk back then, but soon after that most companies were posting patches to their games on the net. Nothing new here.

There's always something that can be improved or fixed in a game. Especially with RPGs. Just look at upgrades to Bloodlines being done by one fan. It's still being upgraded to this day.

This is much preferable to NOT patching a game as with Ultima 9. I'm still waiting for EA to fix that......I think I'm going to have to wait until hell freezes over to get that patch.

Clearly just the 1111 schtick.

Update 1.1 notes:
Corrects a typo in 36 Lessons of Vivec, Sermon 14

Last edited:
I haven't watched most of the videos from the leaked xbox 360 version but from comments about one of the videos it looks like you can become a Werewolf. You can jump much higher then normal, toss around creatures and people, and feed on things you kill to restore health.

PS. Patching has been around for far longer then the internet and at first it was floppies and bbs downloads. Actually there was a patch for Ultima 9 and I was sent a cd with the updated version back then.

Everytime I upload a cad file to an FTP server, i end up finding something that I missed or should have done differently when reviewing it later. Just about every time I'm done, and putting the staples in a set of construction drawings I find some little mistake, or something I could have done differently.

That's work for you - it happens. Nobody's perfect

I though this was a steamworks game won't it already be patched when you either download it or install it? If so why announce it at all?

I though this was a steamworks game won't it already be patched when you either download it or install it? If so why announce it at all?

Even though there is a pre-load (probably starting tomorrow), there will be a patch on release date, so when you unlock the game it is not only decrypting the files but also fixing some things.

Oh, really? Then it's my bad, in 20 years of gaming I rarely patched games, and as far as I know patch were released just few days after the day one…

Sure. :rolleyes:

Patching a game became common place as soon as the internet was widely available to mostly everyone. The first game I ever patched was Privateer 2 and they had to send me the floppy disk back then, but soon after that most companies were posting patches to their games on the net. Nothing new here.

Before the internet became commonly used you had to call up their BBSes and download patches that way. I seem to remember using Fidonet to grab some as well. Some magazines came with disks with patches, too.

Means absolutely nothing unless yer stuck with dial-up (like me). Then it means you'll wait from a few seconds to an hour or so for yer probably tiny patch to download so you can play it.

The only gripe with a day one patch (on dial-up) is that I can't activate the game and instantly play it's buggy ass. YOU, not being on dial-up, will notice NOTHING.

Seriously, a 250mb patch would take minutes. Whine more about your game being fixed.

Before the internet became commonly used you had to call up their BBSes and download patches that way. I seem to remember using Fidonet to grab some as well. Some magazines came with disks with patches, too.

Didn't know that. The first patch I ever used was that floppy. I wasn't on the net until after the big AOL craze. I even had to use Netzero back when Netzero was really ZERO dollars to use (was poor as a church mouse back then). I hear they don't do that anymore, but anyways that's when I really started noticing patches coming out for the PC. Before that phoning into customer support normally fixed any problems I had.

I see it as good or bad. If a company knowingly ships a bug ridden game shame on them. We had a couple this year. That's what a beta test is for.

On the other hand its more likely they fixed more bugs after the game goes gold. A failing in the system not a developer.

Back
Top Bottom