Obsidian Entertainment - Project Eternity Kickstarter Launched

From the site - "Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment."

That last is going to be the hardest part I think. Definitely worth following.

By using the long venerated and highly scientific method of pulling predictions out of a particular orifice, I estimate this is likely to end between 3.3 million at the high end and 2.4 million at the lower end.

Instapledged, Obsidian is the best rpg dev along with CDP Projekt.

Gamebanshee is helping the cause - with the aim to "immortalize" the site name within the game!
http://gamebanshee.chipin.com/project-eternity

That aside, I have to quote this:
show the publishers of the world that fans of old-school role-playing games are more than willing to spend some hard-earned money when they're not being shoveled yet another console-friendly action RPG.
500K+$ in just a few hours after project was put the kickstarter is definetly showing that!

I'll certainly back this. I'm an Obsidian fan. Personally, I'd like to see a Kickstarter for Alpha Protocol2 to make it evern more RPGy. :p

My requests:

1. Auto-pause options, a la BG. Give me the option to pause every turn.

2. A real character-devlopment system, with solid game mechanics. Dragon Age: Origins was supposed to be the spiritua successor to BG, but I found it sadly lacking. Character development put you on rails to a predictable archetype, complete with the now-standrad gimmicky skill trees. I also found the plot hackneyed and dull, though there were some good characters, along with flat, cliched ones.

But I'm loooking forward to this. I dig Obsidian. Just started a second playthrough of New Vegas, after completing my first one. Putting both of those together is super rare for me these days.

I am so looking forward to this. I'd be a bit hesitant about the year and a half away target date but the folks involved (Chris Avallone, Feargus Urquhart, etc.) I'm reassured.

The description of what they want to do is fantastic. Its like they are creating a game just for me and people with my tastes in RPGs. I really cannot wait for this.

P.S. over $621,000 in less then a day. AMAZING though not surprising. Would love to see some stretch goals for this too.

Another instant pledge here. I am a bit disappointed it's more Baldur's Gate looking than it is Planescape looking, but I trust obsidian. I'm also surprised it's getting funded so quick. Haven't seen that sort of rapid response since about the time the Doublefine game happened. This does cement a theory: People are willing to back big time, just based on an established name. Wasteland 2, and Shadow Run Returns aren't flukes. There is still hope for medium sized developers. The catch is you have to be popular first.

Obsidian makes excellent, albeit very buggy, games… However, with no publisher to rush their unfinished game out the door, they just might deliver a polished product this time… I'm in at $20 and crossing my fingers. If it looks like they'll double or triple their goal, I'll up my pledge to get the collector's edition with cloth map. Why wait? I figure the extra cash will buy them more cans of Raid and make for a more polished product.

BTW, my top three rpgs of all time are Ultima 7, Planescape Torment, and Fallout… The people at Obsidian worked on two of those.

Anyway, I'm excited… Thanks to Kickstarter, we have so much classic-style gaming to look forward to… Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Moebius, Project Fedora, Dead State, and now Project Eternity.

Last edited:
Hnm, I feel like sour grapes saying this, but I want some more info about the game itself before I pledge. I know who's making it, I know which games inspire it, but what is the game, what sets it apart? What's interesting about setting and story?

Back
Top Bottom