Kotaku - Fallout Series Ranked

I'd disagree and would judge the game individually.

What makes you think I'm not judging it individually?

FO2 is strongly derivative of FO1. That's a fact. It obviously doesn't mean it's a bad game as many people rank it quite highly. Some people, for reasons I don't understand, even like it more than FO1. It didn't offer much that was new though, and it was also a rushed product when it was released.

Sure, you might play it without ever playing FO1, but then you would be missing out on a superior experience. :)

I can't possibly judge those games like this.
To me FO1, 2 and NV are all masterpieces. FO3 is simply not Fallout enough apart from looks.

Of course this ranking is completely worthless. She missed Fallout Tactics. Clearly the best.

Of course this ranking is completely worthless. She missed Fallout Tactics. Clearly the best.

No, that would be Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. I mean come on.

The real order is:
2 > NV > 1 > Tactics > 3

So there you go.

I saw on NMA that a Mad Max open world game is coming out. It clearly had a lot of influence on the Fallout series, at least the originals. I was just thinking the other day about how somebody should make a Mad Max game. Anyone as excited as I am for it?

Mad Max movies are beyond boring... I could probably do without a Mad Max game.

Well Avalanche the developers that made Just Cause 2 is making a Mad Max game. And surprise Max doesn't have an Australian accent according to the studio. What's even more hilarious there is a petition for the game to change his voice already.

The following video is just CGI so I can't say what the game will be like yet.

I am a big fan of the post apocalyptic setting and I think that that Mad Max 1 is one of the worst post apocalyptic movies there are. They didn't even have a fleshed out setting in the first one and nothing really made sense. They added that in the second and third movie which were great. I wouldn't even call the first one post apocalyptic.

Anyways, the game seems to be quite bad. The german magazine Gamestar.de was able to take a look at it and was very disappointed.
In the focus of the game you will have the car, not Mad Max himself. The game seems to be about tuning it, adding better wheels or "weapons" and do auto-fights where you drive as long into your opponents until they explode. With your mechanic sidekick you will do some missions in a post apocalyptic world.
They also don't seem to have the license for the movie so Mad Max will not look like Mel Gibson.
You can find the preview here:
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/mad-max/artikel/max_max,49695,3024829.html

I agree, Mad Max was boring as hell. I bought the trilogy from Amazon a few years back, but I couldn't finish MM.

I did like The Road Warrior though.

Believe it or not, there's a 4th film scheduled to be released this year. Tom Hardy (Bane from The Dark Knight Rises) is Mad Max, and Gibson will have a cameo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Max:_Fury_Road

Mad Max movies are beyond boring… I could probably do without a Mad Max game.

Can't say I could possibly disagree with you more in this thread. First you say F3 is the best of series (blasphemy to true Fallout fans), and now Mad Max is boring!! Ridiculous!;)

Personally, I love the movies and I am pretty well-known amongst my friends as a pretty big film snob. I even dressed up as the road warrior for Halloween because of my love for the Mad Max series. The first Mad Max is my favorite too (though the Road Warrior probably has a bigger influence on post apocalyptic settings). The ending to Mad Max is terrific. It's the moment you really see lone wolf renegade coming out of Max.

Regardless of how you feel about the movies, you can't deny the massive impact it had on the Fallout games (particularly the aforementioned Road Warrior film). A lot of ideas were lifted straight from the movie. Also, the leather armor and shotgun are clear takeaways from the Mad Max character. Even narratively speaking, you are put in a lot of positions where there is no clear right answer and must decide what is best for your survival more often than what is best for others (best accomplished in the first Fallout game, in my opinion). I am totally stoked to see what they do with the game. I just hope they manage to explore the great elements that Fallout took from the movies. They could really bungle things up if they make the environment a giant playground like the Just Cause games approach the game world.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the post apocalyptic setting and I think that that Mad Max 1 is one of the worst post apocalyptic movies there are. They didn't even have a fleshed out setting in the first one and nothing really made sense. They added that in the second and third movie which were great. I wouldn't even call the first one post apocalyptic.

Just needed to respond to this real quick. They explain this in the movie. They are in a relatively civilized area in the movie for the most part. It isn't until later that Max ventures out into the restricted zone, or whatever they call it.

Mad Max 1 - a masterpiece
Mad Max 2 aka The Road Warrior - without Bruce Spence a stockpile of bullshit
Mad Max 3 - could pass if survivors weren't portraited as literally stupid (videoplayers VHS or Beta, the question never answered) where to survive really you just can't afford to be stupid

Not interested in the game.

Last edited:
Mad Max 1 - a masterpiece

Don't like it and it did not age well.

Mad Max 2 aka The Road Warrior - without Bruce Spence a stockpile of bullshit

Are you kidding, Mad Max 2 is a timeless piece of art, photography and action.

Mad Max 3 - could pass if survivors weren't portraited as literally stupid (videoplayers) where to survive you just can't afford to be stupid

Not bad, but not better than 2.

Not interested in the game.

Can't wait for the game especially since I have heard they will be using Austrailian voice overs in the game.

Mad Max 1 is better the more you watch it. Sure, it has its fair share of parts that haven't aged well (The Night Rider!), but watching Max have everything stripped away from him to expose his raw being by the end of the film is phenomenal character development.

I liked The Road Warrior but for entirely different reasons - it had better action but with far less impact than its predecessor.

Thanks for that trailer; this is the first I've heard of a Mad Max game. Hopefully it's heavier on exploration than it is linear corridor tropes.

Just needed to respond to this real quick. They explain this in the movie. They are in a relatively civilized area in the movie for the most part. It isn't until later that Max ventures out into the restricted zone, or whatever they call it.

Relatively civilized area? ^^
Just rewatch the first movie and you will see that the setting in it does not make any sense, especially compared to the following movies.

The Shot I find representative for the movie is:
http://ndnw.net/pics-news-reviews/madmax1/01.jpg

I guess Mad Max 1 had such a big impact because of breaking a Tabu back then of having a main character which isn't "lawful good" to speak in D&D Terms. But from todays perspective there isn't anything special about it anymore.

Guess that's also why fans of Mad Max 1 did not like Mad Max 3 that much. Imho Mad Max 3 is the much better movie. However it lost the question of morality as in this Movie Max has the typical good alignment.

The first half of Beyond Thunderdome was ok. The latter half was predictable and way too reminiscent of the chase from Road Warrior.

Weird tangent for the thread :p

Back
Top Bottom