Big government reaching again

dteowner

Shoegazer
The *really* bad thing is imho that this will only help piracy of huge companies,

but *not* of the private home user !

The industry just isn't interested in helping home users getting their data back (if it gets stolen) or to protect it in the first place !

I measure everything they (the "industry" and those who are supporting it, by lobbying, for example) do against what they do for the home user, the private user. And that's how I learn to tell double-speak from honesty.

I don't agree with the bill necessarily, but I do agree with one of the issues it is trying to address. Sites that generate most of their traffic by providing torrents (or other download information) that are violating copyrights should not be able to hide behind the "we're not actually providing the priated content" defense. It's BS.

That doesn't mean I agree with the RIAA, MPAA or any of that crap either, but facilating a crime is still a crime.

We have here a similar thing, the GEMA.
We also have a thing for printed material, it is called the "AG Wort".
Both of them are giving tantiems to artists.

Now, in copy shops (which are a usual sight within University areas), copy machines often have a label saying they are regiostered or what to the AG Wort. which means that for every copied paper there are a few cents to be paid to he AG Wort, which then give this money to its artists who are registered there as members (the GEMA works similar).

Now my "industry vs. home user" thing is this : If I copy texts I have written myself on such a copy machine, someone ELSE get's the money ! - Through the AG Wort.

And this just shows me how insignificant "the industry" believes the works of home users to be. So insignificant that the don't even bother if someone else gets the money.

And the music industry ist just the same.

Edit : This is a thing of principle to me.

We have here a similar thing, the GEMA.
We also have a thing for printed material, it is called the "AG Wort".
Both of them are giving tantiems to artists.

Now, in copy shops (which are a usual sight within University areas), copy machines often have a label saying they are regiostered or what to the AG Wort. which means that for every copied paper there are a few cents to be paid to he AG Wort, which then give this money to its artists who are registered there as members (the GEMA works similar).

Now my "industry vs. home user" thing is this : If I copy texts I have written myself on such a copy machine, someone ELSE get's the money ! - Through the AG Wort.

And this just shows me how insignificant "the industry" believes the works of home users to be. So insignificant that the don't even bother if someone else gets the money.

And the music industry ist just the same.

Edit : This is a thing of principle to me.

That's pretty interesting. So they don't determine WHO produced the work and give that specific person the money? They just divide it up?

I really would like some type of system where you could just pay a small royalty at the copy shop and they send it to the appropriate person. It's not much of an issue now, but when I was in school (mid 90's), I did a lot of Layout and Design work as part of my photojournalism studies. Most of the L&D work the first two years of school is mocking up the layouts using photos from magazines and such, not your own work (you didn't actually shoot until your 3rd year in most cases). Due to file sizes and such, most of the time, we were going to copy shops and making copies of the photos we were going to use, resizing them there, getting them printed, etc. This was all for school, nothing published, etc.

Yet the copy shops were militant. They were terrified of getting sued so if they saw you trying to copy of magazine or if something had a copyright symbol, they'd go apeshit on you demanding you get permission. Made getting your work done a real pain in the ass.

I'm hopeful the US legal system squashes this one. The technical solution they propose is just plain stupid and will result in users utilizing more encrypted communication and alternative services for reaching "cut off" sections of the internet. It will drive forth new technological solutions, which in the end will make it more difficult for "real" law enforcement to do their job.

Some examples of sites this could affect: Scientologist can claim copyright against material on critial sites, us goverment can claim copyright on leaked documents, open source and commecial software sites can be cut off because of patent disputes, etc etc.

Last edited:
Censorship for the win apparently …

If I understand this correctly. The AG has the right to shut down any websites he wants ?

What's there to stop him from shutting down rivals' websites ?
Absolutely nothing, technically speaking. And y'all want these 'tards in charge of our healthcare?

This is why us "small government" folks keep screaming. You can't kill the hydra because there really are a few necessary functions that a government must do, but there's hope to keep the monster under control if you religiously keep it on starvation rations.

How do you americans feel about the new airport scanners? A year ago I was reading up on wireless radiation and saw a blogpost at TechnologyReview that mentioned that radiation in the terahertz range could affect dna under certain conditions by resonance. This range was way beyond ordinary wireless radiation so I didn't think much more of it. Until I read about the new airport scanners which operate in the terahertz range. I hope they've taken this recent discovery into consideration.

I'm not fan of government, but I am wildly pro- law enforcement, so I've been supportive of all the intrusive and annoying stuff they've done to keep airline travel safe (I haven't flown in a while, but my dad's always on a plane to somewhere so I'm "concerned on his behalf"). Some of it was probably overboard (is somebody really going to hijack a plane with fingernail clippers?), but the overall sum was a fair trade for not having the plane blow up.

Until now. The wireless radiation angle doesn't really trouble me, but I think we've hit the point of diminishing returns for the freedoms/privacy we're trading in. I just don't see a lot of safety being added in exchange for effectively doing a Penthouse centerfold or getting molested (I expect dinner and a movie before I get groped).

How do you americans feel about the new airport scanners? A year ago I was reading up on wireless radiation and saw a blogpost at TechnologyReview that mentioned that radiation in the terahertz range could affect dna under certain conditions by resonance. This range was way beyond ordinary wireless radiation so I didn't think much more of it. Until I read about the new airport scanners which operate in the terahertz range. I hope they've taken this recent discovery into consideration.

The radiation concerns me, but it doesn't bother me from a privacy aspect. I can understand why some women might be bothered by it, but no one is trying to sneak a peak at my 35yo out of shape butt!

Overall though they are going about security the wrong way. As much as I dislike a lot of things about Israel, they have airport security down pat (pardon the pun) and they don't use hald the technical crap we do. Of course, if we did what they did, the left would get all bent out of shape and call it 'racial profiling,' etc.

i don't mind the idea of racial profiling. It's what they do with the information that can be bad. Considering how poorly the Homeland Security dept has dealt with terrorist threats, I certainly wouldn't want to give them another tool to rape us with. Waterboarding, anyone?

i don't mind the idea of racial profiling. It's what they do with the information that can be bad. Considering how poorly the Homeland Security dept has dealt with terrorist threats, I certainly wouldn't want to give them another tool to rape us with. Waterboarding, anyone?

People say stuff like that, but DHS has thwarted a large number of attacks that they've publicized over the years. It's certainly hard to prove a negative, but the fact that it has been 9 years since 9/11 and there has yet to be a successfully executed non-domestic originated terrorist attack in the US says something.

That said, I'm always cautious about giving them more information. The thing is, what the Israeli's do isn't even racial profiling, but because it isn't random, privacy nuts will call it that. A good friend of mine is a white Jewish guy and he got flagged in Tel Aviv when a few things about his reason for his trip seemed suspicous.

Not off the top of my head, but basically it comes down to a combination of the following from what I understand:

1) Visual assessment (how do you appear? Are you nervous, look agitated, etc.)
2) Historical assessment (Where does your passport indicate you have traveled before)
3) Verbal assessment (they'll talk you up about what you're doing, why you're traveling, etc. while thye process your paperwork. It sounds like pleasent conversation, but they are trained to see if inconsistencies present themselves, etc.)

Physco graphing sounds like a good assessment of it.

Yeah, that's like the info I have read before scattered about. I'm sure they are purposely not being forthcoming on the methodology because it would compromise security. Thus, the misinformation.... kind of works against our best interests, but helps them.

People say stuff like that, but DHS has thwarted a large number of attacks that they've publicized over the years. It's certainly hard to prove a negative, but the fact that it has been 9 years since 9/11 and there has yet to be a successfully executed non-domestic originated terrorist attack in the US says something.

That said, I'm always cautious about giving them more information. The thing is, what the Israeli's do isn't even racial profiling, but because it isn't random, privacy nuts will call it that. A good friend of mine is a white Jewish guy and he got flagged in Tel Aviv when a few things about his reason for his trip seemed suspicous.

Well, I got stopped leaving once ...
They probably thought I was trying to escape going to the army. Thankfully, I'm not Israeli and so don't have to join :)

BN, do you have a reference on what Israel does do. I found a mention of "pyscho graphing" in a blog, but nothing more clear, so far.

Methodology is mostly the same everytime.
Where are you from ? Why are you going to Israel ? Did you pack your own bags ? Did someone give you something to carry with you ?
That's mostly it usually.
If for some reason you looked nervous then they would add a few more.
My mom was stopped traveling with us because her background and passport is totally different. The security officer had never heard of her birthplace and thought it shoddy.
I traveled with different people with different backgrounds and it's usually nothing special. Since I've gone quite often though I sometimes trip up on the questions.
Security: Did someone give you something to carry ?
Me : No.
Sec : Do you have anything that may be considered a weapon?
Me: No.
Sec :This may be a knife, scissors,... ?
Me: No.
Sec: Did you pack your own bag ?
Me: No. Uhhhh.... Yes. Yes, sorry, I meant yes. (embarassed)

So, yeah, what blatantninja said...

You know, we get these kinds of questions already. A checkin attendant will ask us these kinds of questions rather than a security officer. They probably don't pay attention, though...

It's a bit more thorough and you can see they're trained to see your composure and stuff like that.
I used to think that because I speak Hebrew they would let me through faster, but when I went with my girlfriend it went even faster. Because when I speak Hebrew they start asking questions about where I learned Hebrew and things like that ...

Back
Top Bottom