Risen - FAQ @ World of Risen

magerette

Hedgewitch
World of Risen presents a long and detailed FAQ for Piranha Bytes upcoming RPG, Risen, covering the setting, characters, weapons, system requirements and more. Here's a brief sample:
Will the new project have multiple parts?
The title should be able to stand on its own, but plans for a purposeful continuation have been made.

Will there be scripted sequences using in-game graphics?
Scripted scenes are not planned.

Will there be objects that increase attributes by often eating/using them?

Yes.

Will there be packs of animals that roam the land? Are there any furry creatures?
Packs and furry creatures are planned.

Will there be a possibility to change into other beings in RPB?
There are plans for transformations, but there is no information on that yet...

..Will RPB have more riddles and a more challenging level design?
Yes.

Will there be rendered sequences and Easter eggs?

Yes.
More information.

Will the dungeons be designed darker at night and will the colour fade to reflect the time of day? Yes.

I don't understand that question/answer. If you're in a dungeon, you probably won't notice any transition from day to night to day... or am I reading it wrong?

I don't understand that question/answer. If you're in a dungeon, you probably won't notice any transition from day to night to day... or am I reading it wrong?

The translation isn't 100% accurate. The original German question was more like "Are the nights and the dungeons going to be made darker and will there be color fading to reflect the time of day?"
I guess what that means is that depending on which time of day you enter a cave it will either become dark sooner (at night) or later (at day) with a gradual fade-to-black effect.

By the way, the new issue of German mag PC games that came out today has a new video from Risen that is definitely worth watching (some breathtaking vistas in there :) ). The vid has found its way on to YouTube and I'm not sure if it's legal to post a link so let's just say that if you happened to accidentally bump into the YouTube site and then if you'd (also accidentally, of course) enter "Risen + PC Games" as search terms, well, you might come across something interesting. Might. Maybe. Better not try it though. It could be dangerous. Or not... *whistles innocently* :biggrin:

EDIT: OK, I obviously typed that before danutz posted the links so just have at it but hurry because according to the Risen forums Deep Silver legal (and I'm sure PCG as well) is already working on having the vid pulled :) .

Very nice vid... The atmosphere of the gothic series is already there.
I am getting the feeling that even an older PC that is running G3
comfortably on high settings will be able to handle this one (which is
a good thing since I really don't feel like spending money for gaming
hardware in this Economy and my PC is getting a bit long in the tooth)...

Any predictions on system requirements for this one yet ?

Last edited:
Game sounds very promising. Essentially Gothic 4, but with a new name since they don't have the naming rights. Even those walking birds from the video look reskinned Scavengers. :) I mean, this is totally Gothic -- guys sweeping the floor -- everything. And it sounds like they have admitted some mistakes from Gothic 3 and they are getting a bit back more to their roots with this one.

Last edited:
Looks promising so far.

I like this part especially:
"Are there plans for a demo?
It is in the works."

Is this game really that close to release? Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have another PB game sooner rather than later, but the game has been in development for less than 3 years and that doesn't seem like enough time to make a good and polished game.

Yes some Gothic cliché there, I regret the lack of Fantasy and the focus on a sort of realism lacking a bit of imagination. But well they consider this the trademark of the series. But I wonder how many care of this and would prefer a more fantasy mood.

Any predictions on system requirements for this one yet ?

A Deep Silver community rep said on the Risen forums that they recorded the video at a resolution of 720p (= 1280 x 720) at 25 frames per second using FRAPS on a nVidia GeForce 8800GT. And he said that if you take into account that FRAPS itself consumes a lot of resources just for the recording that it should give us a rough idea of the game's performance on the same card if FRAPS would not be running.

Secondly, remember that Risen will be ported to consoles. While PB will not be directly involved in the development of the port, I'm sure that they won't try to make it extra hard for the company that will do the porting. That's why I guess it's safe to assume that no one is going to need any sort of über PC to play Risen.

"Are the nights and the dungeons going to be made darker and will there be color fading to reflect the time of day?"
I'm not an English master but I see this like a question about different level of dark with different causes, dungeons or time of day (night, sunset, ...). Not a question about dungeons during night. :)

I love the low fantasy setting. It makes for some good human drama.

Why are they working on having the video pulled? They don't want positive PR for their game?

Why are they working on having the video pulled? They don't want positive PR for their game?

That is no longer the case. A Deep Silver rep himself actually linked to the video in one of his posts now so the leak seems to be fine with DS at least.
Not so sure about PC Games though. I'd assume that they are not overly amused that an exclusive video has once again found its way to YouTube on the same day as the mag was published. But there's probably not much they can do about it.

I love the low fantasy setting. It makes for some good human drama.
Because fantasy attract more attention and let less place to drama? Well I read sometimes Fantasy, not much anymore human drama novels, human drama movies doesn't appeal me much more. I'm a Fantasy fan, obviously you aren't.

Wow...

I think PB does the BEST vegetation in videogames - IMHO Oblivion's hyped forests seem artificial compared to even Gothic2's low-poly forests... but Risen's dense foliage absolutely steals the show... Oddly, reminds me to Myst.

Also, as my PC config sucks big time, I'm really looking forward to play this game on my X360!

Because fantasy attract more attention and let less place to drama?

I think many players see high fantasy as "that age-old Tolkien shit"... and such themes are not exactly the sources of human dramas (Gollam doesn't count).

So, a low fantasy (i.e. "that age-old Conan shit") might be the cure then.
Anglo-saxon Beowulf doesn't count, but oddly, echte German Siegfried (of Ring cycle fame) fits in quite nicely, heh-heh. :leer:

Lol now Tolkien is shit, how can I consider your post seriously? I consider fantasy more important than human drama, I'm just a weird Fantasy fan.

Let take Gothic, it put in your hand weird magic like powerful summoning, some powerful attack spells, some awesome polymorphic spells and when you compare the world to that there's such a schism. One side if high fantasy but when it's about create the living, the situations and the places, suddenly the real world take back its place and bye bye the imagination.

For me it's weird.

EDIT: And for human drama, Gothic is far to be at the top, many CRPG with a much more Fantasy setting go for a much better human drama, play MoTB among quite many other.

EDIT2: Why G2+NOTR is my all time favorite? Because the sword fighting has an unmatched fun, because the story density and world living is at the best if not the best, because the player has often different choices to achieve something, because the 3D terrain design is quite good. But certainly not because of a low fantasy setup or any realistic anti fantasy approach.

That is no longer the case. A Deep Silver rep himself actually linked to the video in one of his posts now so the leak seems to be fine with DS at least.
Not so sure about PC Games though. I'd assume that they are not overly amused that an exclusive video has once again found its way to YouTube on the same day as the mag was published. But there's probably not much they can do about it.

The way I understood him was that DS is working on having it removed. But until then he as a marketing guy will work with what they have. ;)

Additional info:

The footage was shot with Fraps at 720p @ 25 Hz on a PC with a GeForce 8800GT.

DS will release their own vid soonish. It will look way better.

That's why I guess it's safe to assume that no one is going to need any sort of über PC to play Risen.

Ah good news, for me at least. Although, I do feel its safe to say that the Gothic's were
never about the Eye candy for most of their Fans anyway. Good thing they seem to have
remembered that after the misplaced emphasis in G3...

Back
Top Bottom