If you're not familiar with WoP, here's a link:
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/forums/548-Risen-General-Discussion
It's a Risen forum but the Devs appear there to answer fan questions and there are generally knowledgeable people on the site.
Over the past year or so, Devs have expressed desire to move on, hinting at a sci-fi/steampunk setting. Who knows? They could go back to Gothic. In any case, it's clear that there is a new game in the works but there is little reliable info about what.

Niiiiice, Gothic and Risen series kick ass, ok Risen 2 a bit less imo, but still, looking forward to see something new from Piranha.

PS: They really got their Gothic license back? o_O

They did.
Currently PB won't say if their next game will be Gothic style/setting/universe just that Risen 3 will end that trilogy.

Forget me saying something is not a letdown.

I adored every single PB game. I did.
And what do I get in return today? A bloody Sims3 renamed into Risen3, with the game core being DLC-o-rama.
Yes Risen2 had it's DLC share too, but did I ever say it's awsome thing to do towards your fans?

The only bigger letdown would be making Risen3 a phonegame. And now I expect to see that with Risen4.

I will not preorder a game that can't exist without DLC and possibly will never buy it. I'm obviously not the target audience anymore - this game is ment for ppl who bought Train Simulator.
Thankfully, today there are so many kickstarter projects to spend the money on. All without DLC.

For me the problem with Risen were the many game breaking bugs and glitches. Risen 2 was also terrible I heard in terms of gameplay and RP elements when compared to the first game.

Risen 3 is coming out in a year where we have Dark Souls 2, Original Sin, Eternity, Inquisition, Shadows of Mordor and Lords of the Fallen (plus some other RPG's I'm probably forgetting). If it wants to compete with these bigger titles then it needs to "wow" people.

~ Lapoon!

Eh? I've recently replayed Risen1 and didn't find any huge bug (I do remember the release version with some very nasty bugs including gamestopper ones though, was involved in reporting them and finding a possible solution on DS forum).

DS2 is RPG? Since when? I thought it's a grinder with RPG elements.
Shadows of Mordor? That's an adventure game from Commodore 64. And a book, ofc.
Lords of the Fallen? What's that?

I'll risk skipping those three titles and buy Risen 3 - got a confirmation that if preordered we get bonus content and no future DLC is planned.

Risen 1 has been patched since joxer but like the Gothic series, had its fair share of bugs before it was finally fixed.

I don't know if you're trying to be funny with your second paragraph though. Shadows of Mordor is the open world action-RPG that's coming out in October (granted, it seems to be more of a sandbox game with character level progression) and Lords of the Fallen is another action-RPG that's inspired by Dark Souls, Metroid and Zelda that's also coming out in October.

Dark Souls 2 is an action-RPG and more than a grinder as there is NPC interaction as well as multiple endings to character's storylines depending on your actions (i.e Creighton's and Pate's questline has three different endings where you can let them fight or kill one of them yourself leading to three different outcomes). The option to say "no" and kill any NPC (and suffer the consequences for it) makes it more than just a grinder with RPG elements as I found it's easy to role-play a good or evil character.

DLC might be a problem with Shadows of Mordor and Lords of the Fallen but there's no reason to miss out on them in the long one as there might be "complete" editions if there is indeed expansions to follow.

Does anybody ever hear any Risen 3 news? I rarely see any posted in the news section, and it is two weeks off of release.

I did see a goin-ole school trailer in the news a while back, and that looks awesome.

The thing is, I was kind of wanting this for the 360 if it was up to snuff. The 360 version of R2 was very lacking, it looked at times worse than the original Gothic game (low-res, lots of fog). It was also never patched like the PC was, so my party NPCs disappeared once (for good, needed a backup save), a permanent stat potion was bugged, and dodging and rolling was never added like it was to the PC.

Does anyone know if they are dedicated to giving the console version a better go this time?

Does anybody ever hear any Risen 3 news? I rarely see any posted in the news section, and it is two weeks off of release.

I wish I could post more news but English coverage is hard to find. The publisher is more focused on the German market. Maybe one of our German members can help you?

I would ask HiddenX or Joxer.:)

Last edited:
Thanks Couchpotato. :)

I was reading above and found the World of Risen English forums, and the first preview/reviews are in. (page 16-17 http://forum.worldofplayers.de/foru...-Risen-3-related-information-and-facts/page17 ) Also, apparently they can't get an English speaking site to take their game to review it or preview it (I don't understand that).

They appear to be PC reviews, and they are fairly positive. Pretty and lots of content on the upside, combat could use some tweaks and the story may be weak on the other.

The thing is, I know 100% what to expect from the PC version. I played the first Risen on PC, and it looked stunning compared to Risen 2 on the 360. But I love my TV and couch setup though, so if they can make a decent port I will take it.

@Burress

These days Risen 3 gets a lot of praise in German speaking countries.
Example:
Kronen-Zeitung from Austria:

Gameplay: Back top the roots (-> popular elements from Risen 1 / Gothic are back)
Gameworld: Every scenario is hand made and every item hand-placed to enhance the game. The world is simply beautiful with a Caribbean feeling.
Exploration: Feel free to explore a very big open non-linear dynamic gameworld as you like. Climbing and swimming are back. But beware: Enemies and monsters are NOT auto-scaling to your level…
Character Development: Join one of three factions, Voodoo Pirates, Guardians or the Demon-Hunters to learn unique abilities. Learn Rune-Magic, Voodoo.magic, melee or ranged combat. Learn how to brew magic potions, how to steal, how to forge weapons and items, etc. Of cause you have to find the right materials first.

Positive: fantastic freedom to do what you like, hand made open gameworld, fabulously beautiful landscape, nice fairy tale story.

Last edited:
Sounds like it might be the first Piranha bytes game I would buy since the original Risen.

Man… I'm not german member!

Anyway, reviews of beta all praise the exploration part, are suspicious on combat part (whiners! :D), and disagree on the story part, some like it, some don't.
Noone gave much details on inventory system (and by the looks of it from vids it's retarded). There is also not a single word on music.
In a few days IIRC there will be some gameplay on twitch or something like that, I forgot, but we should see some more details there. You won't miss it, it'll be either on news or in one of R3 threads.

Requirements are known, min. specs are only a bit higher than for Risen 2. Recommended specs are below my old machine so don't expect any problems running it unless you couldn't run R2.

Unlike Risen 2 where console port was outsourced, Risen 3 console versions are being developed in the house.

I went digital preorder on gamersgate, but you should buy any retail german version if you speak the language because (quote from hidden's amazon link):
Laut gamestar.de oder onlinewelten.com sind alle Retail-Versionen von Risen 3 DRM-frei.
alle = all
frei = free

Also three digital preorder day1 DLC are included on all german retail discs, you don't have to buy them separately.

If you don't speak german, well...
As I've mentioned previously, gamersgate customers received newsletter with account specific -20% code that can be used to preorder Risen 3 (valid for just a few more days). So far R3 is not listed on GreenManGaming in case you planned to use their voucher.

Sounds like it might be the first Piranha bytes game I would buy since the original Risen.
They've only released one very pirate themed and crappy game since the first Risen, right? Not sure I will buy this one either, old gen graphics and archaic gameplay turns me off this series. I think this will be the final nail in the coffin for PirhanaBytes, a game like this in 2014? Financial suicide.

first.

Positive: fantastic freedom to do what you like, hand made open gameworld, fabulously beautiful landscape, nice fairy tale story.

What do they mean by this exactly? In another thread one of the German reviews mentioned "lame story" etc.

If someone is interested:

I pre-ordered the collectors edition yesterday.

Also do you know when the English retail version will be release please? Or does the German version comes with English as an optional language?

I can't seem to find the retail version on any UK sites...

Also do you know if the retail version comes with steam key?

I know too many questions lol

Back
Top Bottom